News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Mossflower Falls

Started by The Skarzs, January 11, 2014, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hm

No option.
2 (66.7%)
No option.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Gnoflet

I just read the first chapter, and I think its very good.
Shut him up or shut him down.
Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

The Skarzs

Thank you!
A bit of writer's block right now :P. Will try to have the next chapter out this week.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Just finished chapter two. This is scary! Redwall, ABANDONED!?!?!? WHAT ABOUT MARTIN!?!?!?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Chill out! :D I haven't forgotten about Martin, I just haven't integrated anything with him into the story yet. More will come soon. :)

Chapter Five will be out this week.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Chapter 5
   "What are you blabbering about, you idiot! Here we are, safe in a stone fortress, with one of the biggest armies ever to enter this land, and you, a 'mighty' wolverine, and you're worried about two squirrels? Squirrels!" Grungath turned his back on his captain. "If you're so worried about it, go on, find them! That should be easy, seeing as they have only the entire woods to climb from tree to tree in." Disgusted, the wolf sat down in his new throne, a great oak chair set in the Great Hall. His black cloak swirled about and covered his body, leaving him looking ominous and mysterious.
The wolverine captain, by the name of Hurra, swallowed nervously. Some scouts had seen a couple of squirrels spying on them, though no attempts had been made to attack. He had thought at the time it would be a good idea to report the matter to his master, but the Deathcaller was in a testy mood, and had exploded in anger at this seemingly insignificant news. Hurra knew he would be punished in some way, and waited in stiff silence.
Calmed from his outburst, Grungath rose and walked the few paces between him and Hurra; not even the dark chainmail under his cloak made noise. He gazed at Hurra in silence, then lay a paw on his captain's shoulder. "Hurra, you know that in two evenings, an assault will be made on the mountain fortress, Salamandastron. This will be the most dangerous of our battles, and I need somebeast, one of my own, trusted captains, to go on this attack. I have decided that you, as one of my captains, to take this honor. Don't worry, you'll have a fourth of our force here to help you; the ships will be dropping off twice that many. That will be more than enough to take the mountain, and if needed, destroy every last inhabitant.
"And I give you this order: The badger will be yours to kill. You've always dreamed of that, haven't you, showing the world that a wolverine can best a badger." The wolf saw a slight grin break on the wolverine's ugly face and his paw go to his falcate; his honeyed words were working. His grip on Hurra's shoulder tightened, and his other paw grasped his shirt. Lifting him off his paws, Grungath held his face close and spoke quietly to the helpless wolverine.
"But if you lose, or fail to kill the badger, I will kill you with my bare paws if he doesn't. Go!"
Hurra scrambled off, exiting out the door and onto the damp lawns. Seeing the other captains in a group by the pond, he headed off in that direction.
One of the wildcats, Zil, was speaking in a low tone to the other captains. "Grungath is becoming too dangerous; after he conquers Salamandastron, what next? He might be content with his victories for a while, but how soon will it be before he wishes to expand his reign to the south, the east, or even across the seas! He must be removed."
One of the other wolverines and the remaining wildcat thought otherwise. "The master will not be stopped," said the wolverine. "He is a Deathcaller, the highest name of power in the North! Only three have been named such, and we have sworn to obey him until we draw our last breath!"
"Well spoken, Farag," hissed the second cat. "Grungath has saved our lives numerous times, and has led us to victory, never knowing defeat! Our lives are his to take, and we will not help you to remove him. Forget these silly ideas, companions, and learn to serve the Deathcaller with more respect!"
Hurra looked at his brother, Gurra, the last captain. The wolverine rarely said anything, and stood with his arms folded in stubborn silence. They dared not face Grungath in open combat; he could kill two of them with his massive broadsword before they could make a cut at him. They were left only the choice to stay obedient to their wolf overlord.
A female ferret hid behind the trunk of a tree; she had heard the captains' words. As much as she did not want to be part of the Deathcaller's army, she did not wish death against any other beast; it was wrong to wish that somebeast die.
She had been a traveler from the day she was old enough to walk, wandering off from her family and being brought back only to do it again. This gave her the nickname Presel the Wanderer. Being able to take care of herself, Presel had left her parents' home as soon as she could. Many seasons later, she was unfortunate to be in the path of Grungath when his army came down from the north. They had been, insistent, that she join their ranks, whether or not she wanted to. Trying to avoid any fights, she had stayed unnoticed and unwanted.
Presel did not know the creatures inside Redwall; what she did know was that they were peaceful and were either unwilling or unable to fight. Feeling a deep resentment for being part of the "bad creatures", she wished now more than ever that she had not been found by the army. Sighing, the ferret walked away to a corner of the walls, drawing aimlessly in the dirt with her dagger point and trying to think of a way to desert the place and travel elsewhere, to a land of peace free from evil.

Holt Widetail was set in a good defensive position. A hidden entrance in the bank of the River Moss made entry difficult for any but an otter, and the second entrance was concealed as well, a tunnel leading from a hollow stump into the holt. It was essentially a hill, built up by branches, mud and stone, and, while it took many seasons, it eventually took the shape of a round, tall stone fort. Javelins stuck in the side of the walls outward discouraged climbing, and well-aimed slingstones kept attackers away. But the vermin keeping them in were not unduly worried. Their numbers were many, and the defenders were few. They could wait as long as they needed.
   Skipper Widetail knew this, and was very worried for the safety of his home. While they were safe for the moment, no attacks, no negotiations, no sound was heard from the enemy. They were obviously content with keeping them inside, and knew they could take any beating given. Now, great ships were being brought up the mouth of the river, and were loaded with scores of vermin and deadly-looking war machines. They were unloading them on the flatlands on the south side of the river, and began rolling them on broad, flat wheels across the dunes.
   They were designed specifically for this, their wheels made so as to not sink in the sand when being transported. Only one place required that travel and such weapons: Salamandastron.
   The skipper remembered not believing the beleaguered sea otters when they first came asking for help. It was hardly possible that they were attacked by such a large force as they described, and was unwilling to believe it until he saw them for himself. Troubled in his mind, the otter sought sleep. After tossing and turning for a while, he slept. In his dream, he saw a tapestry with a mouse in armor and a magnificent sword. It seemed familiar, just like the one he had seen hanging in Redwall.
The mouse stepped forward, and took Skipper's paw; he did not question the friendly-looking mouse. He seemed to radiate confidence and kindness, but he also had the look of a warrior. He led him to a window, where he saw a creature, larger and stronger than any he had ever seen. He wore a black cloak that covered his features, and the tip of a great broadsword stuck out behind.
   The mouse pointed, indicating another huge creature carrying a sword, and a ferret walking beside him, both striding purposefully toward the cloaked figure. The two giants both drew blades, and clashed in combat.
   "Who are these beasts?" Skipper needed to know.
   The mouse said only two sentences. "Watch for the cougar, a friend of a foe. Aid him against the wolf, and free Mossflower of evil."

In Brockhall, Abbot Nart was having trouble sleep as well. Caught in a half-consciousness, he thought he heard somebeast talking to him. Opening his eyes, he saw Martin the Warrior standing next to him. He spoke to him like an old friend.
   "Nart, your creatures are safe, but the evil you have escaped cannot triumph. One will come seeking your aid; you must help him despite his appearance. A ferret will come looking after him; ask him the name of their ship. If he answers 'Clawrudder', then you can trust him. These foreigners will help you regain your home." The warrior mouse walked slowly away, and Nart slept in peace, forgetting the visit until the morning.

Short chapter, I know. Ran out of ideas to fill the gaps. Hopefully the next chapter will be longer.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Triple post, but its my topic ;D. Please tell me if you want me to do some more in-depth back stories for the characters, cause I haven't done much in that. Let me know if this is a good idea, and if more than two people give a thumbs up on the idea, I'll start another topic in the Fan Fiction for that only.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

I am planning on drawing Grungath and Nart. if you want anymore drawn just tell me ;)
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Brinty

Great writing! Is this set in a time after Triss. There were snakes living in Brockhall at that time period.
Frodo: "Sam you must understand I'm going alone"
Sam: "Of course you are, and I'm coming with you!"

Hook: "Come on peter pan fly to the rescue and I'll shoot you right through your noble intentions!"

Bard: "You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!"
Thorin: "I have thee only right.

The Skarzs

No, its set after the latest book in the time period, beyond the living memory of any alive after the Rouge Crew. I'm glad you enjoyed! Please tell if you would like to see some character background writing. :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Brinty

K, the snakes died at the end of Triss. I forgot about that.  ;)
Frodo: "Sam you must understand I'm going alone"
Sam: "Of course you are, and I'm coming with you!"

Hook: "Come on peter pan fly to the rescue and I'll shoot you right through your noble intentions!"

Bard: "You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!"
Thorin: "I have thee only right.

The Skarzs

Right. If any beast has questions, please ask, and I'll be more than happy to answer. ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Sorry for the long wait for chapter 6, I'm working on it but am trying to improve it (is a bit rough right now). Hopefully will be out this week.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Just finished chapter 3! The quality of your writing is really good and makes the story even more fun to read! I have a question, too. Why, after only 2 days of siege did the father Abbot evacuate? Couldn't they have held off longer (though the wolf would've simply knocked the gate down anyway)? Why did they not hesitate to leave, was it the shear enormity of the opposing army? Because they sound terrifying!

Again, really good work here! ;)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Yes, after looking back, it was rather quick, but what I neglected to explain was that the amount of creatures in Redwall at the time able to fight at all was too small, and it would have been in vain to give any resistance because of the army's sheer size, and those able to fight would have certainly died whn they would be needed. The decision to abandon Redwall would cause less bloodshed, and was at the time the best choice they had.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo