Lord Vulpuz, Lord of Hellgates

Started by The Mask, May 05, 2014, 07:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mask

Vulpuz was mentioned in the Taggerung as the Lord of Hellgates. It was also mentioned that foxes were the only vermin who were related with him. It got me wondering, Who is he? Is he a fox or a wolf? Is he alive or is he dead? Looking forward to your discussion sahs!
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Jetthebinturong

It is a play on the Latin word Vulpes which means fox so yes, he is a fox. Also he is not necessarily real as there is no confirmed afterlife in Redwall other than the Dark Forest
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Mask

True, but It's quite possible that Hell Gates and The Dark Forest are the same. A badger Lord, Sunflash I believe, went to Hellgates but was stopped by Lord Brocktree and some other famous Badgers.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

Gonff the Mousethief

I'm pretty sure that he went to the dark forest . I think that hell gates is where vermin go, and the dark forest is where goodies go.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Shadowed One

Yeah, I think it said that Vulpuz was a fox in the book.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Russa Nodrey

I don't actually remember him, which book(s) was he mentioned in?
Freddy

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Albrithr

This is the closest anybody gets to referencing religion in Redwall- I find this concept fascinating.  From the line, it appears that Vulpuz is the "Satan" of the Redwall world (and was perhaps whom Cluny was referring to whenever he invoked the devil- he would be the first to not admit that this devil was a fox).  It is also in fitting with the character of the foxes.  As for the Dark Forest, that seems to be most like Purgatory.  Which would imply that the sunny meadows mentioned in other passages would be Heaven, and would itself have a Lord...

The Mask

@Russa,  Yes, it was Taggerung.

@Albrithir, There also has been said there is a 'spirit of the forest'

FlinkyTheStoat

I'd just like to point out that the only character who mentions Vulpuz, Ermath, is a fox seer - and while there are certainly legitimate seers in the Redwall universe, that doesn't mean she wouldn't want to talk up her own species (and that of her boss Ruggan Bor). Therefore I never really took the "Vulpuz" myth all that seriously, especially considering it's never mentioned otherwise.

Tam and Martin

Very interesting topic for sure.

I think he is one of Brian's one time character's. Martin the Warrior is mentioned throughout the series, Sunflash is mentioned throughout the series, Boar the fighter is mentioned etc.

Vulpuz though was a one time only thing. He is never mentioned ever again. I am thinking that He is something that Brian thought of specifically for that book and not used in any others.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Mask

That's true, but the main reason I find him so interesting is because it's basically the only direct reference to some sort of afterlife.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

LT Sandpaw

In the first book it seems to be very religious, then after that it dwindles, its been awhile since I read the book who said something about Vulpuz?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro