News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Adjectivization in Redwall (Nationalities)

Started by Osu, June 11, 2014, 07:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

Let's talk about grammar, everybody! I have often puzzled over this small aspect of the Redwall universe: what are the notable aspects and residents of a place referred to as? Redwallers are often just called, well, Redwallers, or Abbeydwellers; and anything that comes from Redwall might just be 'Abbey + thing' (for example, 'Abbey accent.') How about those who reside in Mossflower in general? Or Salamandastron (Salamandastronese? Teehee.), or Southsward, or the Lands of Ice and Snow?

I fondly imagine Sampetra = Sampetran, Northlands = Northlanders, and so on.

And while we're on the subject, what language do the characters speak? It can't be 'English' because there is no England. Mossflowerian? Mossflowerite? Mossflowerish? Mossfloweran? 'The Common Tongue?'
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Wylder Treejumper

I've got a good one for the language... How about Mamalian, since the frogs, lizards, etc. don't seem to speak it accurately or don't speak it at all!

Salamesque, maybe? Still funny words... 
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Mask

I'm pretty sure they mentioned a 'common tongue' or something to that effect. Can't remember which book though
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

I think Common Tongue would be the best term, as most animals understand each other (this is mine, stay away, sort of thing)
Reptiles and amphibians, being completely different group of species (cold-blooded vs warm-blooded), might have a different language because of their huge gap in species.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Mask

Oh! Another thing there are mentions of OTHER languages. In particular, something akin to Indian. In a lot of the books hares say 'wallah'. E.G. 'Where is the grub wallah?'In Indian 'wallah' means something a bit like person. So it's s bit like saying 'Where is the grub person?'
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Tim Churchmouse

I'm guessing that they ARE all 'English' as all the accents in Redwall are based on accents in the UK. Here's a list of them (being a Briton myself)
Hedgehogs: West Country (Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester, Lydney, Plymouth e.t.c)
Squirrels: Modern English (2000-2010) with some Scots exception
Mice: Old Fashioned English (1980-2000)
Moles: Bristolian (The City of Bristol, West Country)
Voles: Irish/Northern
Hares: 1900s Stereo-typical English accents (with a few exceptions [Scots])
Vermin: Londonian/Eastern Country (London, Norwich, Peterborough)
Other Vermin: Northern (Newcastle, Sunderland, Carlisle, Manchester Leeds e.t.c.
Anyone who finds any of these remarks offensive please contact and I will delete.
I hope this helps.
This is your referral link!
PLEEEEEASE CLICK MULTIPLYFYING TIMES!!!!!!!

Lutra

Otters have that stereotypical pirate talk you know.  Arr matey! ;)  I can't see anyone speaking like that.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tam and Martin

We know who is an otter fan  ;D ^^^

Anyway, I never really thought about this at all. I always realized that different places and people had different accents the cause of which is where they came from or what type of creature they were but I never really figured anything else out. My brain is too small for this matter  :P

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

Since they're animals, I think different accents would be more appropriate than different languages. Heavier accents would still make gaps in communication, but would not make it unbelievable.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

SilentSam

;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

LT Sandpaw

I can't remember anywhere in the stories where they use different languages. It's been awhile since a read some of them though

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

SilentSam

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on November 18, 2014, 06:32:32 PM

I can't remember anywhere in the stories where they use different languages. It's been awhile since a read some of them though
Well technically, Sparra is another language.
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D

LT Sandpaw

Not really it's just a different dialect of English.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

SilentSam

HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D