News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

is peach a citrus

Started by rakkety tam, August 24, 2011, 04:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is peach a citrus

of course it is
what your crazy no it isnt

Redwall Musician

..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

It is. I just looked it up on Google.  :P I voted.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

yeswonderful

*coughs and raises a hand* For the sake of my OCD mind, I would like to lay down some non-Internet gleaned facts.

From the Peanut Gallery (aka the person who has a ##:1046 in Biology with an emphasis in Ecology and Evolution and has done a substantial amount of study in plants):

Citrus: A citrus fruit is a hesperidium, which is a sort of berry that has a rind around things called liths (the segments you see when you cut up an orange) that are filled with "pouches" called vesicles. (I'm not even going to get into the development of these different parts of the fruit, because that will take far longer than I have at the moment).

Peach: A peach is a drupe. Drupes have an exocarp (skin) that surrounds a pit of sorts of what's called endocarp that contains a seed. The endocarp is usually hardened.

A big difference between the two is that citrus plants are evergreen, while the plants that bear peaches are not evergreen. Also, in the development of the fruits, different parts of the flower become different parts of the fruit.

There you have it. Colloquially, peaches may be considered citrus, but when you get into the actual phylogeny of the plants, they are not closely related.
Like pirates? Want to be a classy vermin who wears a cravat and sails the high seas? Enjoy writing? Join the VI! http://rovl.org/vi
VI movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD-1Q0htbfk&feature=youtu.be

rakkety tam

peach is a citrus it has been a disagreemant for years i say it is
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Blaggut

Invaded. *ferret meat candy appears*
~Just a soft space boi~

Rusvul

Quote from: Blaggut on September 28, 2013, 02:47:19 AM
Invaded. *ferret meat candy appears*
Dude, really? This topic has been dead for two years.

Blaggut

Really? Oops. I checked the veryyyyyyyy back... Why doesn't it just stay at the back? Why does it have to come to the front. I wana post where my post will never bee seen by the likes of mortals  :(
~Just a soft space boi~

Tam and Martin

This is an old topic but I say it is...

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Redwaller

Quote from: Blaggut on September 28, 2013, 05:02:45 AM
Really? Oops. I checked the veryyyyyyyy back... Why doesn't it just stay at the back? Why does it have to come to the front. I wana post where my post will never bee seen by the likes of mortals  :(
When you post in a topic, it automatically brings it to the very front.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

*Jaw drops, smackface*
Del, how do you even. . . ? (This topic is so very old. . .)

What yeswonderful said is true; a peach is not a citrus, and is seen so by it's physical traits.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Actually, it's your own fault that I revived this before you.  ;D I went to the thing that shows you who's looking at what, and I posted here for no real reason whatsoever.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Skyblade

I'm eating a peach right now, actually.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!