News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Species You Wish Had Done More

Started by JangoCoolguy, January 28, 2015, 09:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrewsForever

Feles

One wolf in the series would be awesome, the only wolf in the series is barely mentioned and even then, it is dead, "killed by Urgan Nagru" and that hardly does them justice

also, adders as main villains would be pretty cool, imagine an adder leading a force of lizards against Redwall

lastly, a hedgehog hero couldn't hurt
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Wydran Riverpaw

Quote from: CpnRake335 on February 19, 2015, 11:00:07 PM
lastly, a hedgehog hero couldn't hurt

This! There was never a mole who wielded the Sword of Martin either. I think it would definitely have been interesting to see a mole hero.

Also the Sparra, I wish they hadn't disappeared completely after Mattimeo!

Lady Cregga

Yes, I miss the Sparra. Hedgehogs and Moles I think could have done more, they aren't mentioned much in the series. Was a mole ever Abbot or Abbess? I know there was one hedgehog so far.
"Look at 'em blubberin', Song,' Dippler whispered. "Bet you can't start everybeast weepin' by singin' somethin' nice and sad?"...There on the rocks of the sunlit island the young squirrelmaid's voice rang out into the late summer afternoon.
..In the hush that followed, Song noticed Dippler weeping.

Feles

the sparra were killed off by Ironclaw's crows and Malkeris? archers in Mattemeo, its a pity they died out

and while there has been a hedgehog hero, they are never the main hero, same with moles

Did you know there was a beaver in the series that was only mentioned in one book, Redwall
Rabbits, mentioned in Martin the Warrior
and a golden hamster somewhere (forgot book name)
I am Bobracha!

Hickory

Quote from: CpnRake335 on February 21, 2015, 04:39:04 PM
the sparra were killed off by Ironclaw's crows and Malkeris? archers in Mattemeo, its a pity they died out

and while there has been a hedgehog hero, they are never the main hero, same with moles

Did you know there was a beaver in the series that was only mentioned in one book, Redwall

It's Ironbeak.

I have to say that a mole hero would be cool. Arula was one, but it hardly counts.
Even though hares play a large part in every book, it's really just Buckler Kordyne who I see as a main hare protagonist.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Feles

Quote from: CpnRake335 on February 21, 2015, 04:39:04 PM
the sparra were killed off by Ironbeak's crows and Malkeris? archers in Mattemeo, its a pity they died out

I am Bobracha!

MeadowR

I did already mention bats, yet whilst re-reading Mossflower which has the bats in, I can see all the more they had potential as characters to be added in more, and with some clothing and more civilised identity as opposed to the wilder creatures like herons and snakes which didn't so much. Why not? Lots of other little mammals were included. Sure they like the dark mostly, but they could have had a presence in night time scenes.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Rivertheotter

The Moles. Yes, I know they are in every book, but they always get supporting roles. Every good species had at least one main character, but there was not a single mole Abbot or wielder of martin's sword. Moles have been proven time and time again to be honest, kind, and wise creatures, but Jacques kept them in the supporting cast. Also, the voles had a lot of potential, but aside from Yoofus Lightpaw in Rakkety Tam,  Voles barely got a character to represent them!
The voles, the moles, please no trolls.
"But oh, my love, though our bodies may be parted
though our skin may not touch skin
look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind"

Wot, wot!

:D
Like many have said, it would've been cool to see more bats and more sparrows. I also would've liked more owls. I didn't realize the sparrow died out after Mattimeo. That's really sad  :'(
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

The Skarzs

Quote from: Rivertheotter on February 22, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
The Moles. Yes, I know they are in every book, but they always get supporting roles. Every good species had at least one main character, but there was not a single mole Abbot or wielder of martin's sword. Moles have been proven time and time again to be honest, kind, and wise creatures, but Jacques kept them in the supporting cast. Also, the voles had a lot of potential, but aside from Yoofus Lightpaw in Rakkety Tam,  Voles barely got a character to represent them!
The voles, the moles, please no trolls.
WHAT?! No trolls?! How dare you! As a respected cave troll I feel insulted.

;)

I agree with the moles, and up until The Sable Quean I kind of felt the same way. However, in that book Axtel Sturnclaw more than made up for generations of moles for how awesome he was.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

Two that I really think were Turtles and Hamsters. It would have been so cool to see Hamsters live at Redwall, or somehow make a book on them. Turtles I found would make a good run in character on adventures and maybe have an old one at Redwall.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

JangoCoolguy

I'm not so sure about hamsters...

Just what could they bring to the table to help them stand out from the other rodents???

Dippler

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 24, 2015, 04:34:58 AM
I'm not so sure about hamsters...

Just what could they bring to the table to help them stand out from the other rodents???
Their look, that's just about it.

I think he should have used wolves more, mainly because that's my favorite animal, but, hey you've got to admit they're cool, it's the type of animal you would probably freak out if you saw just roaming around.
There are two types of people, those who can finish sentences

LT Sandpaw

Another creature you see only once is Gerbils but they aren't really even Gerbils their Jerbil Rats, which is disappointing because they could have made interesting villains.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro