Redwall Online - An interactive online Redwall Abbey.

Started by CaptainRocktree, August 11, 2015, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRocktree

-This is really old, I'll be revising this in as soon as I have some spare time-

So, I've recently been thinking of a new idea. Redwall is one of the best book series out there, But sometimes I wish there was more to it. Not to the books, The books are amazing. But to the fandom itself, I mean Harry Potter has its own theme park where you feel like your actually there. Lord of the Rings might not have its own theme park but it has Movies, Costumes, Replicas of the swords, bows, and axes, LOTR roleplays and festivals. But redwall doesn't have much of that, I mean we have the songs of redwall, this forum, and other stuff like that... But sometimes I just wish there was more to it... I've been thinking about this for awhile now and an idea has popped into my head. There is a website called "Hogwarts is here" and its basically a way for harry potter fans to take harry potter "classes" online. Its actually a good idea. I've been thinking, What if there was a website like this for Redwall fans? But instead of taking online classes you would have jobs to do around the abbey? Like the friar would have to come up (or find and post) recipes from Redwall. Then the people that live in the "abbey" would make the food at home? Or the abbey scribe would have to write about all the events that day, Or the badger mum would have to make up a lullaby for the dibbuns. Its just a crazy little idea I had.. But thinking about it... It wouldn't be too hard to create a website for something like this. I mean, If this gets enough support I'd be happy to make a website for a "virtual abbey" like this. What are your guys thoughts? There could be many different jobs that require only a few minutes of your time a day, Not too much time so it gets in the way of the other things you have going on in your life (Or homework..) but just enough where you feel like your at the abbey.  :P
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

rrrrr

I could help program something like that.

Is it going to be something like "Pottermore"?

And yes, we should have a theme park :)

Finally, someone posted something like this, I thought I was the only one that wanted to do this.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Skyblade

That sounds great! I hope it gets enough support!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

Essentially a more roleplaying-centered version of the minecraft server.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LordTBT

When you say "interactive" and "role-playing" - that sounds like a game. And if it's a game, that's not legal.

rrrrr

"Pottermore" is not a game. Go check it out. I don't think it is. And it's basically the same thing we're trying to do here, right?
rrrrr.....

CaptainRocktree

Yeah, What rrrr said. Also check out Hogwartsishere.com, Kinda the same idea.  :P.
J.R.R Tolkien

BadgerLordFiredrake

I'd be interested in working on building this, depending on how many people can work with me, how many people are interested, and what language/framework.
baby turtle forever

CaptainRocktree

Okay, Thanks Firedrake!

If a few more people give this idea a thumbs up we can start talking about developing it  :).
J.R.R Tolkien

BadgerLordFiredrake

I'll throw this out right now - I can work with Python/Django (so basically any SQL database) or PHP alone (ew ew ew ew let's not) and MySQL.  I can probably pick up any needed frameworks/languages pretty quickly, but I really would like to avoid PHP.

It'd probably be best to collab on GitHub.
Heroku is great free hosting.
baby turtle forever

rrrrr

I'm not that good at SQL but I can do the JS and CSS if needed :) - maybe?
rrrrr.....

BadgerLordFiredrake

It would probably have lots and lots and lots of AJAX :D

If we use Django, there's no need to write custom SQL queries.

just no jquery please please
baby turtle forever

rrrrr

I don't know Django, what is that?

It looks good though. However I only know easy easy python.

You sound like my best friend at school (he's expert at SQL) :P
rrrrr.....

BadgerLordFiredrake

baby turtle forever

rrrrr

Yeah my best languages are C++ and JS, I can probably learn Python really quick but I'm pretty busy nowadays.
rrrrr.....