"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Faiyloe

I think no one was updating it so they got rid of it.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Alright, something that most people don't realize is that the land they are playing in is more or less Medieval or Dark Ages, so some words shouldn't exist. For example, a very big one is "Okay".

NO! NO, IT IS NOT OKAY!

The original thing was OK; the spelling out of the sound "oh-kay" didn't come until later.
ORIGIN: mid 19th cent.: probably an abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren's re-election campaign of 1840; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials.

Yeah . . . If you really want to use something like "OK", use "alright". Sounds more to what might be conceivably said.

The term "fire!" when releasing a long-range weapon only came about when gunpowder was used, where there was literally fire that caused the weapon to shoot. Perhaps instead of using "fire" for "Fire your bows!" (which might imply that you are telling them to literally set fire to their bows), use "Shoot!" "loose off!" "let fly!" or "release!"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

The actual books tended to use anachronistic phrases if I recall correctly.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Yeah, I do remember a couple as well, but some are less remarkably recognizable as ones like "okay".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

I find the idea of limiting the spelling to how they did in that time period rather.... over the top. I can understand that certain meanings of words we use today (such as your fire vs. release example) does indeed have relevance. The thing is, a lot of people won't know what these words are, and on top of that, this isn't a replica of Earth. They share similarities, a very large abundance, but it's also clearly different.... Animals replacing humans for instance? I think that using some words that might've been taking differently at the time isn't a particularly big deal, the most important thing here is conveying what we mean to the other RP'ers. Don't get me wrong, I can understand where you're coming from, I just think that being finicky about the specific words used may be a bit more than is necessary.  ;)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Faiyloe

I think finicky like that is perfect for a Fan fiction but for a RP where you have to write up a post comparatively fast it is not as appropriate and you can't expect every one to know about these things or even research them. I think it is a great Idea if you personally wan't to do it to enhance a character especially if you are playing an older character that is stuck in tradition. ;D
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Jukka the Sling

About the 'okay' thing: I used to be totally against it when it came to Redwall fanfics and RP's.  The thing was, it was such a handy word, and 'alright' didn't always sound alright. :P Then I was rereading Salamandastron, and much to my shock, I saw that some of the hares actually said 'O.K.'!  So now I just accept it as a canon word.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

LT Sandpaw

I don't know, what really makes the RP posts good is length, authentic-y, good wording. Using words like loose instead of fire, paws instead of hands, claws in place of fingers, creatures and beasts instead of people and men, is just a single moment to replace that makes each post just a little better. I think it also helps develop characters and it makes the RP a little more fun.

Of course I'm not saying people should spend those extra few seconds changing their posts but when your panting a visual picture for the other RPers the little details make a big difference.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Dannflower Reguba

Paws instead of hands, and things of that nature I agree with. All of us should know full well the words to use when referring to animals... Though, I'd say that you could still say fingers.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This