Least Memorable Book

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, February 21, 2016, 05:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on February 22, 2016, 08:57:09 PM
Quote from: Jet the binturong on February 22, 2016, 07:10:49 PM
I think Loamhedge is memorable because of its flaws. I'd probably say it was the worst.

Really? I thought Loamhedge was one of the best! Especially the fight scene at the end, like WOW that must have been the closest to crying I've ever been whilst reading. I didn't see the quest as pointless, I saw it as beautiful

1. The haremaid just needed to believe in herself to walk which is a cop out and also entirely the wrong message to send.
2. Because of this Brag and Saro died for nothing.
3. It was Martin, an omniscient being, that sent them on the pointless quest.
4. That also makes Martin a less likable character.
5. Brag and Saro's death was completely contrived.
6. Lonna goes on a manhunt to wipe out the last of his enemies. Not really the kind of behaviour you expect in a Redwall protagonist.

The characters were interesting and the story could have been good, but the writing was just lazy and full of contrivances and the idea that the only way the haremaid could help was if she just decided she could walk sends a bad message.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

I think Loamhedge is memorable because of its flaws. I'd probably say it was the worst.

Really? I thought Loamhedge was one of the best! Especially the fight scene at the end, like WOW that must have been the closest to crying I've ever been whilst reading. I didn't see the quest as pointless, I saw it as beautiful

The closest I've ever come to crying while reading was weeping helplessly when I thought Frodo and Sam were going to die... ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Groddil

Quote from: Delthion on February 24, 2016, 04:44:53 AM

The closest I've ever come to crying while reading was weeping helplessly when I thought Frodo and Sam were going to die... ;D

Sam...Yes.
Frodo...No.

The Skarzs

Frodo was much better in the books than in the movies. But that's off topic.

The least memorable one in my opinion is probably. . . Well, Triss. A bit on the dull side overall, and it's a bit of a stereotype.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lord Daskar

I think it's Eulalia! for me.
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

Ashleg

I think most people are saying Triss.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't get in to it.

Groddil

I just finished Triss a couple days ago. Thankfully. Now I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

Ashleg

I'm still reading Triss and I've never heard of that book.  ;D

Groddil

Ever heard of "No Country for Old Men?"

Ashleg

Sounds like something everybody should've heard of; but nope. XD

Banya

Quote from: Groddil on February 24, 2016, 10:27:05 PM
Ever heard of "No Country for Old Men?"
Good movie, decent book.  I didn't care for the author's writing style; he used too many run-on sentences.

It seems I'm far from being the only one who found Eulalia! the least memorable of the books.

Rusvul

'Least memorable' is something of an odd title. Nothing can really hold it. If something is recognized as the least memorable, it becomes more memorable and can no longer hold the title.

James Gryphon

The book that I read that one time that I don't remember the name of. ;)

Of the Redwall books I've read, I think it would be Doomwyte. I wouldn't remember anything about it except for what I've read on the wiki.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Doomwyte was like that for me. The heroes weren't particulary memorable, and the novel vermin tactics lost their sheen quickly.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

Now I'm trying to think. Of course, I have a hard time remembering the thing I can least remember, so... :P

I would say, Legend of Luke, perhaps, otherwise Eulalia!. Loamhedge was too bad to be forgettable, Rogue Crew too bloody.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.