News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Webcomics

Started by Aimless Gallivanter, March 29, 2016, 04:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Okay, so you guys HAVE to read The Silver Eye.  It's pretty confusing at first, but if you pay attention and consult the character list occasionally, you'll really like it.  It's clean.  I'm most of the way through chapter seven.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

@Skarzs This video might help to answer your question about why Homestuck is so big. Since this is a Homestuck video, I'll just say that there's no content that might be considered objectionable.

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jetthebinturong

Cody, child, do you need therapy? WHY DO YOU THINK YOU'RE ONLY GOOD AS A WEAPON?? YOU ARE TWELVE YEARS OLD THIS IS NOT OKAY!!!!!

Jukka the Sling

I found a gorgeous webcomic called Scurry and have caught up on everything posted so far.  It's about mice trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where all the humans are gone.  It's kinda a mashup of Secret of NIMH/Watership Down/Warriors, and the artwork is stunning.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ashleg

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on June 29, 2017, 04:04:35 PM
I found a gorgeous webcomic called Scurry and have caught up on everything posted so far.  It's about mice trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where all the humans are gone.  It's kinda a mashup of Secret of NIMH/Watership Down/Warriors, and the artwork is stunning.

Looks like it can be sent to you in book form...so I might have to get it.
I love this sort of thing but there's something about reading online that makes me lose focus.

Jetthebinturong

Sharp/Zero is good, but frustratingly infrequent with updating. It's a superhero comic about this guy called Elliot who is not a superhero, but then becomes one through rather unconventional means. Warning for gayness.

Namesake is fantastic, but so much happens in it that you forget what's happening half the time. Still, I highly recommend it. If you read the comments, I'm the guy called "Me" with Rain's picture of my character David as my profile pic.

Hazy London is pretty good. It's on hiatus though. It's a gay love story about some dudes in an indie band.

Currently reading Something Like Summer. Wish I had enough self-control not to, since I kinda want to read the book before the comic, especially since I've already read and loved one of Jay Bell's books so I know he's a good author.

Haven't been looking at Girl Genius in ages. Last bit I was on, they were rescued from something by the bear-riding Jaegermonster.

Paranatural is still a thing that exists.

The Skarzs

Oh, geez. Girl Genius has gone very far since then. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

There's a webcomic I just decided to get into called Maelstrom.  It's only on the third chapter so far, and the site layout is kind of annoying, but it has a lot of promise.  It's set in a steampunk world (with binary moons!).

Also, here's a webcomic wiki.  It's actually where I found Scurry, and it might be useful to you guys.  (Speaking of Scurry, I need to catch up on that, but I'm currently rereading Beyond the Western Deep, which I haven't read in ages. >.<)

Jetthebinturong

Other than everything I already mentioned, I started reading Snowtop School for Magical Delinquents by Hannah Hoffman, which is hilarious and adorable. There's only sixteen pages out so far, but it's still great.

Also literally everyone needs to read Namesake. Just do it, you will have no regrets.
Just look at this art:
Spoiler

[close]

Ashleg

Ooh, detailed, innit.

Jetthebinturong

Completely forgot about White Noise and Y-Force. White Noise is awesome. Y-Force hasn't been going too long but it's good so far.

Andy

I read quite a few webcomics in my day. Some of my favorites have been:

Off-White
This one is about wolves, but I don't remember much else right now, just that the art was awesome. I'm planning a re-read soon. This one is on an indefinite hiatus. I forget if it has strong language or anything, but I'm pretty sure there was at least some blood at times.

Escape to Pride Rock (and its sequels/prequels)
These comics have been taken down sadly, so if you guys haven't read them, you can't. Shame cos they were really good. They were Lion King stories that were very well thought out and had a lot of character development and I loved them a lot but oh well.

The Pokemon Hard Mode/Nuzlocke comics
Created by the inventor of the Nuzlocke challenge, these chronicle his adventures in Pokemon "Hard Mode" and are rather amusing, though quite weird and a bit dark at times. Can't recall if there was harsh language, but I'm thinking there was.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Jetthebinturong

I think I read Off-White once. Is it the one which is kinda about Norse mythology? IT IS! Wow that was a long time ago. Good comic, but I caught up and then I forgot to check back with it.

Currently reading Countdown to Countdown. Galli put it on my radar. It's a post-apocalyptic story set in this world where there's a sort of digitised zombie virus called the Glitch which turns people into... well, glitch zombies. It's about this boy called Iris who has lived in this lab his entire life, as far as he knows, and he can pull items out of paintings, but he also has a lot of mental issues which kind of turn his powers into a living nightmare. I have no idea what's going on most of the time, I just know that I like it. It's purposely written to be confusing though, so that's not a point against it.

Did I ever mention Check! Please? If not it's about a college hockey team in Canada, which is joined by the main character, Eric "Bitty" Bittle who's a kid from Georgia (the US one). He likes baking and everything is adorable.

Wylder Treejumper

So, guys. Just thought I would come on here and plug my favorite webcomic: Existential Comics. It's a comic about philosophers, which is probably interesting to no one except me- but it really is hilarious, actually. Also, a good way to learn about philosophy without reading boring books. Instead, you can read funny comics!

Just watch out for comics with Freud in them. I mean, it's Freud. What do you think the joke is going to be about?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jetthebinturong

Countdown to Countdown just updated. Poor Lillium.

LOOK AT HIS FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

No, I won't tell you the context.