Favorite villain

Started by Skyblade, June 08, 2016, 08:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Sagetip on August 13, 2016, 09:25:45 PM
@Leo: I wouldn't say he's that strong. He might be able to hold his own in a 1 on 1 fight with Cluny (if they ever actually fought without backup...) but he certainly wouldn't win a fight against a larger and, ultimately, more skilled opponent. Cluny didn't become warlord for nothing.

And while he may have a large army, he only has about 60 monitors (quickly defeated by the relatively small Redwall force in Pearls) and the rest are trident rats. While skilled, they don't have any particular skills that would win them a fight with a large, varied army like Cluny's. I will admit, though, he's a powerful villain.

Good point, good point..

This talk has me thinking, though. You know what could be really fun (and extremely chaotic)? An RP in which everyone picks a main villain from each book, arms themselves with 100 beasts and goes at it on a battlefield!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

No one would want to lose, though. :P It might be more interesting to have the main villains all in a battlefield by themselves. A bit like Hunger Games.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

I don't think that would be possible for us to do, simply because of the subjectivity, we would have to incorporate leadership, as that would be a talent that a warlord would need to conquer. But we, as humans cannot perfectly imitate these villains and therefore all of this would be moot.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

The Skarzs

I'm just saying I think it would be more interesting as them all fighting each other instead of with armies.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Quote from: Skarzs on August 15, 2016, 06:12:36 AM
I'm just saying I think it would be more interesting as them all fighting each other instead of with armies.

And I agree with Skarzs.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jet the binturong on August 13, 2016, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on August 13, 2016, 09:16:58 PM
Emporer Ublaz Made Eyes, hands down!

Pearls of Lutra

This guy was awesome! and had it not been for Martin II being immune to his hypnotizing glare, I think Ublaz would've survived (I mean, there was also Rasconza to worry about). But that's not why he's my favorite.

Ublaz was a villain who started at the bottom, worked his way up to be a successful corsair captain and skilled swordsbeast. He eventually amassed a following and decided to found his own blinkin' empire!. He chopped all the trees off Sampetra and rationed them out. Why? Because he's a bad guy and it gave him a monopoly on what ships needed most to prevent rotting away: wood!

While his fleets of corsairs did his work for him, Ublaz made himself a palace, hypnotized an entire population into serving him, and amassed a staggering fortune. Just to show off, he hypnotized a coral snake. Because why not?!

Put Ublaz up against any of the other Redwall villains from the books and who would win? Probably Ublaz. Gulo the Savage? Big, scary, but dumb as rocks. BANG! hypnotized and now Ublaz has a wolverine fighting for him. What's that? Cluny can't be hypnotized for some unknown reason? That's okay, Ublaz has a reputation as a skilled swordsbeast and could stand his ground in a fight. That is, assuming Cluny can take down Gulo and the other hypnotized horde, first >:D
[close]

I actually never considered that. Though I don't think Cluny would be immune to Ublaz's hypnosis, he proved himself to be weak-willed when it came down to it. Slagar and Ungatt Trunn on the other hand, well...

Any reasons why you think Cluny was weak willed?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Simple, after Martin cheated by giving him all those nightmares, when Matthias showed up, Cluny ran away, which was completely irrational and showed that rather than face his fears, Cluny would run from them.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

Well, I don't think that's an entirely fair evaluation of Cluny. I think most people would be horrified if they saw something literally from their nightmares come out to confront them. What I find more telling than his initial reaction is that he didn't stay shocked for very long. Sure, he played some defense at the beginning of their fight, but as soon as he grabbed something besides his tail that was serviceable as a weapon, he fought tooth and claw and never looked back. That's not the sign of a milquetoast, unlike Princess Pinkeyes, who tripped and fell on her own sword while she was running away from her ex-slave, or Vilaya who tripped and fell on her poisoned dagger while she was running away from her ex-slave's BFF, or Slagar, who tripped and fell into a well while he was running away from Matthias (incidentally, I think I see something of a trend here ;))
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

Fair enough.

I definitely wouldn't say Slagar was weak-willed. His objective was never to kill Matthias, and he knew he couldn't beat him so he made a sensible retreat. He was ruthlessly intelligent and had the drive to get what he wanted, plus some revenge while he was at it.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

LT Sandpaw

I don't think anyone could begin to make an argument that Slagar was weak willed. ;D He "Willed" himself to survive an adder bite. Only one other creature did that in the series and that was Sunflash the Mace! And they both needed strong medicine to survive, but keep in mind Sunflash needed it given to him, while Slagar just made his own. ;)

If anything Slagar is one of the strongest willed creatures in the series.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Slagar is one of the best villains of the series, paws down.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

I was disappointed with Malkariss, of course, with a character that built up, anything short of godhood would have been disappointing.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

Coming from someone who doesn't care all that much for Slagar, I wish that Brian had done more like him (as in having a character from a previous book show up again as the villain) because the feeling that came with finding out that Slagar wasChickenhound was so cool.

Delthion

I watched Mattimeo before I read it, and I thought all through the first few episodes that Chickenhound was Slagar, so that effect was a little lost on me.