News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Mafia: The James Edition

Started by James Gryphon, September 05, 2016, 03:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who to go?

Gonff the Mousethief
0 (0%)
Groddil
0 (0%)
Eulaliaaa
6 (100%)
Skyblade
0 (0%)
Rosie Willowwater
0 (0%)
Sagetip
0 (0%)
Peony
0 (0%)
Chipster of Noonvale
0 (0%)
Nobody
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Great! ;D After missing the last two games, I'm really excited to play, especially in this legit new setup.

Quote from: Sagetip on September 06, 2016, 12:02:01 PM
Air hockey. ;D
Do you have nothing to say about the actual game? :P I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's a bit confused right now.

~~~

This game is obviously going to work a bit differently, with two Mafia teams instead of one. Before we start investigating, we need to understand how everything's going to work. I tend to start my Mafia games by asking questions about game mechanics, so I'll do that housekeeping right now.

@James Gryphon
Thanks for the creative new setup. I checked out the link you provided and am drawing some parallels, but might as well clarify.

How many Red and Blue Mafia are there?

So, two people die each night (provided doctor saves don't work)?

For Town to win, ALL the Red Mafia and ALL the Blue Mafia must be dead?

Can you explain how Town Power Roles were assigned? I'm really confused about that.

Is there a Cupid?

Might as well ask, are there any clues in this first post?

When we vote, are we allowed to change it? If so, how many times?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Rosie Willowwater

James Gryphon

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PM
How many Red and Blue Mafia are there?
The Red Mafia are the regular Mafia, and the Blue are the Wolves, so there's three of each. All of the town roles are Red or Blue specific, so they can deal with one set, but not the other.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMSo, two people die each night (provided doctor saves don't work)?
It seems that way, yes.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMFor Town to win, ALL the Red Mafia and ALL the Blue Mafia must be dead?
That's correct.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMCan you explain how Town Power Roles were assigned? I'm really confused about that.
It's a sort of lottery system. Basically, I generate some random numbers that correspond to different letters, and depending on how many of each letter there are, that determines the power of the roles.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMIs there a Cupid?
No Cupid or lovers in this game. I think there'll be enough mayhem to make up for that, though.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMMight as well ask, are there any clues in this first post?
I don't intend to tell y'all how many clues there are right now. That said, there should always be information in the story posts that's relevant to something (now, that might not necessarily be somebody's Mafia status). You might have to sift through it, though, to avoid false leads.

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 01:30:34 PMWhen we vote, are we allowed to change it? If so, how many times?
Last game, people were permitted one vote change, and that seemed to work out okay, so I think we'll stick with that.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

I really don't understand limiting the number of times people can change their votes. Mafia is about working out who the bad guys are, if you've changed your mind about that, then why must you be forced to stick to it?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

Well, you can indicate that you're leaning towards voting for someone without actually typing their name out in bold. Anyway, limiting vote-changing is mainly for the convenience of the moderator, so it's easier to keep track of who's doing what.

There's a good chance I might run a poll, though; if I do, vote changing will be available for that. The vote changing rule only applies to votes made in posts.
« Subject to editing »

Lord Daskar

Arguing about something pointless, I would do that. Anyway, I hope those rules aren't too important as I can't access them on my computer.
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Lord Daskar on September 06, 2016, 05:01:45 PM
Arguing about something pointless, I would do that. Anyway, I hope those rules aren't too important as I can't access them on my computer.

I took one look and was confused.

James, I don't know. This Mafia method confuses me - Badly.

Jetthebinturong

Surely you're not using all of the roles listed there?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

No; which roles are used is generated through the means described. As far as what those rules are, I should have mentioned them, but I didn't, so stick around and they'll be described here momentarily.

Skip all of the stuff that has to do with werewolves (I know from experience the different names makes it seem more complicated). There's red and blue Mafia, and red and blue versions of the Town roles.

So, the roles:

For both blue and red Mafia groups:
Two Mafia
One extra special Mafia: Roleblocker OR Role Cop
Roleblockers, each night, choose a player of their choice to keep performing their role (if they have one) at night; the Role Cop role investigates another player, and it is revealed what the name of their role (not their alignment!) is. The special player chooses between one of these two roles at the beginning of the game, and has the powers of that role for the rest of the game. If the other two Mafia are killed, this one can still perform the regular night kill, in addition to their role.

The Town roles:
One 1-Shot Anti-Red Detective: Investigates other players, like the normal Detective, to determine whether they are Red Mafia or not. If they're Blue Mafia, they don't show up as being any different from Town. "1 Shot" means that this ability can be used one, and only one time during the game.
One 1-Shot Anti-Blue Detective: Same as the other detective, but for Blue instead of Red.
One Anti-Red Jailkeeper: Chooses one player to "lock up" each night. They're protected from being killed by the Red Mafia, but also prevented from performing any of their role actions (unless they're a Blue Mafia).
One Anti-Blue Doctor: Same as regular Doctor, but only protects against Blue Mafia kills. Red kills still go through.
One Anti-Blue Tracker/Stalker: Each night phase, this role investigates a player to determine whether they targeted anyone with an action. However, they do not detect the Red Mafia making a kill.

All the other players are normal townies.

I hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions, ask now,  so we can get it out of the way for everybody and there isn't more confusion going forward. I know this game is more difficult to understand than the other ones you've done before. Running a game with opposing Mafia groups is a big step up in complexity. I'm confident we'll be able to work it out, though.
« Subject to editing »

Søren

Quote from: Jet the binturong on September 06, 2016, 03:35:23 PM
I really don't understand limiting the number of times people can change their votes. Mafia is about working out who the bad guys are, if you've changed your mind about that, then why must you be forced to stick to it?
Gamemaster's privilege and convince. ;)

Now that we have the rules under our belt...

Examination of the story immediate presents the fact that all three, Sky, Fatch and Gonff were in a deep conversation. Perhaps's that alludes to them conspiring together, as one of the groups? It may be too obvious though.
Another group of three is Rosie, Galli and Jet playing Apples to Apples (a board game).
That leaves the four, myself, Groddil, Ashenwyte and Chipster, remaining unmentioned.
Thanks for that James. ::)

Since literally no on else is trying to play the game yet, besides the story, for evidence we have to wait for someone to say something.

I'm retired from the forum

Chipster of Noonvale

This sees complicated, but I think I understand.

Skyblade already asked most of the questions I had, but here are a few more:

Since this is only a game, all of us will leave the conference alive?

What happens if both mafias choose to kill the same person?

When are we now?  Do we vote someone out already, or do we wait for the mafias to kill someone?  If it is the latter, do they kill dummy players (like in the previous two games), or two of the actual players?

James Gryphon

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on September 06, 2016, 07:43:20 PM
Since this is only a game, all of us will leave the conference alive?
That was the plan. I suppose I might do some things to spice it up, but I don't think anyone will be permanently maimed.

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on September 06, 2016, 07:43:20 PMWhat happens if both mafias choose to kill the same person?
That's a question I hadn't thought about. It's pretty unlikely, but I guess they get double-killed. ;)

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on September 06, 2016, 07:43:20 PMWhen are we now?  Do we vote someone out already, or do we wait for the mafias to kill someone?  If it is the latter, do they kill dummy players (like in the previous two games), or two of the actual players?
This is the first day phase. The whole point of having the dummy player die is to tell the players there are Mafia; in this case, though, you're told that by the GM, so you can start voting right away.
« Subject to editing »

Lord Daskar

I guess I agree with Soren that Sky, Fatch, or Gonff should be voted out.

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 06, 2016, 07:54:16 PM
Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on September 06, 2016, 07:43:20 PMWhat happens if both mafias choose to kill the same person?
That's a question I hadn't thought about. It's pretty unlikely, but I guess they get double-killed. ;)
Negative times Negative equals Positive, James. They live.

When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Lord Daskar on September 06, 2016, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: James Gryphon on September 06, 2016, 07:54:16 PM
Negative times Negative equals Positive, James. They live.
I have to admit that did cross my mind. I'm honestly not sure; there doesn't seem to be any reference for when that happens.

I'll guess I'll decide if it comes up.
« Subject to editing »