News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Mafia: The James Edition

Started by James Gryphon, September 05, 2016, 03:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who to go?

Gonff the Mousethief
0 (0%)
Groddil
0 (0%)
Eulaliaaa
6 (100%)
Skyblade
0 (0%)
Rosie Willowwater
0 (0%)
Sagetip
0 (0%)
Peony
0 (0%)
Chipster of Noonvale
0 (0%)
Nobody
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Gonff the Mousethief

Dang, I have no idea what's going on. So there is a Mafia game where we are simulated playing a Mafia game, in which we are simulating playing a Mafia game? And how many roles are there that are just plain civilians? Because it seems that everybody should have some kind of role, right?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on September 06, 2016, 09:55:21 PM
So there is a Mafia game where we are simulated playing a Mafia game, in which we are simulating playing a Mafia game?
No, it's only a Mafia game where you're simulating playing a Mafia game. ;)

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on September 06, 2016, 09:55:21 PMAnd how many roles are there that are just plain civilians? Because it seems that everybody should have some kind of role, right?
There's four plain vanilla civilians, I think. Some of the town roles are only 1-shot, though, so in practice, they're going to be normal civvies most of the time.
« Subject to editing »

Fatch of Southsward

Quote from: Lord Daskar on September 06, 2016, 09:44:00 PM
I guess I agree with Soren that Sky, Fatch, or Gonff should be voted out.

You jumped on that awfully quick. Why does it have to be our group? There were two other groups, as Soren mentioned.

So how many Mafia are there? 4? 6?
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

James Gryphon

@Fatch: Six total, three in each group. One has extra powers, the other two are normal.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

@EVERYONE: If you don't undertand the rules, please say so. I don't want people making mistakes from not understanding the setup. Also, keep in mind:

- Roles were randomized. Previous games have no bearing on this one.
- You can only change your vote once, so don't do it until you're pretty sure.

So what I'm getting at here is that we're currently 9 Town VS 6 Mafia (3 Red Mafia and 3 Blue Mafia).

This may seem daunting, and I'll admit it's quite worrisome. However, I can also see this as advantageous for the Town. From the start, we have pretty good odds of voting out a Mafia.

@James Gryphon Thank you for answering my questions. I have a good grip on the game's setup now. Still, look forward to hearing from me throughout the game ;D

The Red Mafia and Blue Mafia are SEPARATE, correct? So either one team wins or the other, not both at the same time. So the win condition is one of the following:
- Town
- Red Mafia
- Blue Mafia

Also, what are the conditions for a Red Mafia or Blue Mafia team to win?

Quote from: Søren on September 06, 2016, 07:27:07 PMExamination of the story immediate presents the fact that all three, Sky, Fatch and Gonff were in a deep conversation. Perhaps's that alludes to them conspiring together, as one of the groups? It may be too obvious though.
Another group of three is Rosie, Galli and Jet playing Apples to Apples (a board game).

I think those are both too obvious. In addition, James mentioned when it comes to clues, "You might have to sift through it, though, to avoid false leads." But as people who've played with me before know, I'm not a fan of clues in general.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

As far as the win condition goes, that's the same as usual; everybody outside of your team has to git.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Quote from: Skyblade on September 06, 2016, 11:18:23 PM
This may seem daunting, and I'll admit it's quite worrisome. However, I can also see this as advantageous for the Town. From the start, we have pretty good odds of voting out a Mafia. True, but it also means that there's a greater chance of voting out town, considering how many of us there are, and how clues can be pretty hard to decipher.

Quote from: Søren on September 06, 2016, 07:27:07 PMExamination of the story immediate presents the fact that all three, Sky, Fatch and Gonff were in a deep conversation. Perhaps's that alludes to them conspiring together, as one of the groups? It may be too obvious though.
Another group of three is Rosie, Galli and Jet playing Apples to Apples (a board game).

I think those are both too obvious. In addition, James mentioned when it comes to clues, "You might have to sift through it, though, to avoid false leads." But as people who've played with me before know, I'm not a fan of clues in general. Agreed. It seems way too obvious to present the mafia straight up.

Aimless Gallivanter

Im gonna have to agree that those groups of three are way too obvious to mean mafia.
im gay!!!!!!

Skyblade

This is my personal take on clues:

They're like gambling. Sometimes you're right, and more often you're wrong.

I'm NOT saying completely disregard them. But I like to use them in conjunction with posts. If you see someone posting suspiciously AND something off about them in the story, I think that warrants a vote.

One problem with clues is how easy they are to misinterpret. The following has happened often on the forum:

Mafia: See, this person (who's Town) is suspicious because the story said <pulls out a part of the story that makes the person look suspicious but actually means nothing>
Accused Person: No, I don't know why the story mentioned me. Seriously, I'm innocent.
Town: NO YOU'RE NOT BRUH. *Votes out citizen*

On the flip side, if someone accuses you using a clue, it's way too easy to make up something to defend yourself.

Town Member: You're suspicious because after the guy was killed at night, you mentioned being very tired in the morning.
Mafia: That doesn't make sense. Why would I say I was tired, attracting suspicion to myself?
Entire Town: Oh yeah, true. Good defense! (Not really)

Cornflower MM

James, I'm still really, really confused. . . . I don't think I wanna play, unless you need me? Sorry, James.

Fatch of Southsward

@Peony this is my take on everything you need to know. It's not too complicated. The bit about randomizing the roles makes it seem more complicated than it is.

1. There are two groups of Mafia
2. These two groups don't work together
3. Town wants to kill both groups of Mafia, and both Mafia want the other Mafia group dead, as well as the town
4. There are slightly different or new roles. All you need to worry about is your role, not the other new ones - and I'm sure James can explain your role to you, if needed

Please don't drop out - how will our glorious rivalry continue?
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

Skyblade

Several members haven't posted yet; I'll give them a bit more time.

It's hard to come up with stuff this early on; right now the only suspect I have is Vilu.

I thought of this earlier and Fatch beat me to posting it, but after looking over this, I have more to say.

Then Vilu says:

Quote from: Lord Daskar on September 06, 2016, 09:44:00 PMI guess I agree with Soren that Sky, Fatch, or Gonff should be voted out.

Soren mentioned two groups of three. Why did Vilu mention the first but not the other?

Another thing, "should" is a strong word to use. If you look at Soren's post, he never says that any of the people in the three groups should be voted out; he simply provides something that may be a clue, and even admits that "It may be too obvious though."

Both things I observed (Vilu going after the first group but not the second, and stretching Soren's words to maximize suspicion) make him my first suspect. I'm NOT voting yet, because I want to be more sure (we can only change our vote once). But I need to point this out.

Hopefully as the game keeps rolling, we will find more clues, because this is just one lead.

James Gryphon

@Peony: In addition to what Fatch said, remember that I'm available to all of you to offer you as much help as you need, both in explaining the rules, and giving you advice, if you want it. If you have anything that you want to know, just PM me and we'll talk it out.

Now that the roles have been generated, I'd rather nobody drop out, and I can't really not count you as a player, for game balance.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Huh.

I guess I should go with everyone else with Vilu as the suspect. I won't suspect anyone else for the time being, but Daskar...
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cornflower MM

But- Oh, fine. It's not fair, you know, guilt-tripping, but fine. I'll play.