Reptiles and their Status

Started by Ashleg, September 09, 2016, 04:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

In the Redwall series, we see good reptiles, bad reptiles, and...pet reptiles.

This is a topic to discuss why we think sometimes reptiles are portrayed as living in tribes and other times as pets--because I don't have a clue!

Lizards, for one, are usually seen in tribes that appear briefly to capture the hero(es) or as an aid to the vermin horde/crew. Okay, got it.
But they've also been shown as pets, as there's one lizard (I think it was in Triss but I'm not sure) that was a pet to a hedgehog.
The closest thing I can think of is Mickey Mouse, who's a mouse who's friend is a dog (Goofy) but whom also happens to own a dog (Pluto).

Tell me below if you think there's a reason, if you think there's no reason, or if you think the Mickey Mouse theory makes sense. :P

Groddil

Don't forget Toobledum and Bubbub from Loamhedge. One thing I've noticed is that the tribal lizards tend to be kinda stupid, but a lot can at least speak. Bubbub and the hedgehog's pet, as well as one other pet lizard (I can't remember the book, but he lived on the shore with some old vole) never speak. When Bragoon (I think) "questions" Bubbub about Toobledum, all the lizard really does is hiss a bit and start doing sign language or something. Its kinda strange. And then, with snakes, Adders and Sicariss are the only snakes/snake-like creatures that seem sentient. Even the other smooth snakes in Doomwyte still seem more like mindless drones than living, thinking creatures, and the slow worms from Martin the Warrior (which aren't snakes, I know) are just dumb killers.

Why?

Ashleg

It also seems like Tribal Lizards (for that is what I'm calling them) are bigger and walk upright while the pets do not...

Are they more evolved or something?

Hickory

Big Monitors like Lask Frildur shouldn't be counted, since monitors are known to stand upright at some times. Perhaps the Teibals take after them?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Daggertooth is a Derp

I think they're a dumb but sapient species and the beasts who have them as pets probably don't understand them~
Daggertooth Stats-
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Alliance: Tramun Clogg
Species: Ferret
Description: Albino ferret with dark markings on the back and with a champagne-colored mask
~~~
"I am colorblind
Coffee black and egg white
pull me out from inside," - Colorblind, Counting Crows