News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Doctor Who (Doo wee wooo)

Started by Edraithel, October 09, 2016, 06:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawke

Loved looking at the list you compiled!

Haven't given it much thought myself.

SO can't wait for April!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Jetthebinturong

So I just finished rewatching the first series of SJA.

Series 1 finale

It's only now occurred to me how questionable what she did to Mr. Smith was. I mean, sure he was evil, but he is a fully-sapient lifeform, surely forcibly rewriting his thoughts is quite wrong? Honestly wouldn't it be kinder to kill him than to essentially enslave him?

Obviously this is a moral greyzone. What do you guys think?
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

BJaqFan

I'm a Whovian, too!

I agree...it is a bit of a grey area!

BJaqFan

Did you guys see the news that John Simms is back?!?!?!?  Wonder how that's going to happen!  Maybe we will see the Master regenerate into Missy?

Jetthebinturong

I hope it's more like a multi-Master story like they've done multi-Doctor stories. But it occurs to me Simm's Master didn't really have time to have his own adventures. Maybe they'll have a multi-Master story then at the end Simm will regenerate into Michelle. Does it occur to anyone else that Matt Smith would have made a fantastic Master if he hadn't been the Doctor?

Also have you seen this great trailer for all of Capaldi's era?

I think it's a good watch for anyone who was on the fence about him.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah'm 'appy zey're gaein' tae have Matt Lucas'z character back fer vot it lookz from ze trailer ze entire Zeriez 10. Ah loike it vhen zey 'ave more zan vone Companion fer ze Doctor!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Jetthebinturong

So did you guys watch The Pilot? If so, what'd you think? I adored it, and I'm already in love with Bill as a companion. All the little easter eggs were great too. Is it just me or was the dalek design updated to be slightly more gold?

BJaqFan

LOVE all of the Easter Eggs!  I wonder what's in the vault...I have an idea, but it's probably not it.

Jetthebinturong

Was rather disappointed by Smile. It seems Frank Cottrell-Boyce and I are destined to never see eye to eye.

BJaqFan

It certainly didn't turn out the way I expected.

I have to admit...I did do a fangirl squee when I saw Mina Anwar and the fact that she was playing a gardener.  Between this role and her role on SJA, I think it would be TOO funny if in RL she didn't like/get along with plants :P

Jetthebinturong

Speaking of SJA, who wants characters to appear in the main show? Tommy Knight has said that he wants to appear in some future episodes, so hopefully we'll see Luke at some point. I also want Captain Jack and Jenny back. And when I say Jenny, I mean Georgia Moffet's character, not Vastra's wife.

Absolutely adored Thin Ice. Didn't expect the BBC to go so far out with the racism, but that was certainly a convincing aspect of the story,
Spoiler
and I absolutely love that that's why the Doctor punched Sutcliffe.
[close]
Speaking of Sutcliffe, Nathan Barley was fantastic. Not all monsters come from space.

So the question of the day is... what exactly is in the Vault? It could be Missy or the other Master, but I feel like that's way too predictable and that that's a red herring, but that being said, I've no idea what else it could be. Something/someone from the classic series?

Also this episode gave me one of my favourite quotes from the series:
"Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life. An unimportant life. A life without privilege. The boy who died on the river, that boy's value is your value. That's what defines an age. That's...what defines a species."

I just had a thought, but it's probably wrong, so I'll just say this. If there was one character from the classic series I would like to see return, then it's Omega. Imagine how amazingly well Omega could be done with all of the effects and costuming of the modern day. I'd love to see a revamped version of his The Three Doctors outfit.

BJaqFan

I would love to see Luke in DW!!!  (more than the little glimpses we've seen in the series 4 finale and End of time :P)

LOVED the episode!

The thought of Missy or the Master being in the vault did cross my mind.  Also the idea of it somehow leading to where Gallifrey is popped into my mind (after all...we see it at the end of the universe...but where is it until that point???)

I've also heard rumors that people are speculating that it's the First Doctor...but I'm not sure how that would work (not the two Doctors being in one place at one time...some of my favorite eps are multiple Doctor stories...but if that is who's in the vault, why would he be???)

Jetthebinturong

So I just took a quiz to see if I could name all 131 episodes of New Who from series 1 to The Return of Doctor Mysterio. I was given fifteen minutes to do it, I finished with two minutes and eighteen seconds spare. Could've used those two minutes to do series ten, 'cause I also know all the titles for those episodes.
If you want to try it yourself, here's a link: https://www.sporcle.com/games/Corabal/doctorwho05

And here's proof I did it. I realise that probably no one doubted me, but I want to show off my nerdage.
WARNING: Contains answers for those who want to try themselves

[close]

And just to prove I can do series 10 as well:
Spoiler
The Pilot
Smile
Thin Ice
Knock Knock
Oxygen
Extremis
The Pyramid at the end of the World
The Lie of the Land
The Empress of Mars
The Eaters of Light
World Enough and Time
The Doctor Falls
[close]

BASK IN MY NERD GLORY!

Jetthebinturong

Well Knock Knock was a supremely disturbing episode. I'm still shuddering.

So the question is now obviously not "what's in the vault?", but "who's in the vault?" Someone dark who enjoys hearing about death. Humanoid. Can play the piano. Friendly with the Doctor in some sense. Possibly related to Nardole, though perhaps not through anything we've already seen. But most likely not Missy or the Master? Or maybe it is one of those two and it's a double bluff? Another time lord? Davros? I have no idea.

Jetthebinturong

So... Oxygen, eh? That was one hell of an ending.

But personally, I think that's one hell of a bird. ;)

I'm actually really proud of that. Think it's the first time I've ever made a Doctor Who joke.

So I've been rewatching series one recently and there's one thing I want to see but we'll probably never know about. The Time Agency. Who are they? All we know is they stole two years of Captain Jack's memories and they collect valuable artefacts. Oh and they time travel. But with Moffat leaving, I think that's one mystery that's never going to be addressed. Unless it's in Torchwood I suppose. (Haven't seen it.)