News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Started by James Gryphon, October 15, 2016, 10:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

We're experimenting with larger avatars, and I'm wondering what a good size would be.

Here's my classic Gryphon avatar:

And here's a few different sizes in the attachments below, 80, 100, 120, and 150 respectively.
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

I think 150 is clearly too big, but below that and it's more ambiguous. I like 100 because it's a big, round number, and is memorable, but 80 might be good if you think 100 is a bit much. I've seen 120 on another forum, and it doesn't seem too overpowering there, but every forum is different, hence this discussion.
« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

Personally, I favor 120. It gets in detail the other sizes don't have.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Chipster of Noonvale

Gonff the Mousethief

Yeah, 120 is nice. Would let me have much clearer profile pics in the future.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Jetthebinturong

120 or 100 looks good to me.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Groddil

Banya

It appears I'm the sole dissenting opinion at the moment. I like the 80. I can see other users' avatars well without being overwhelmed by them. I've also never hated gif avatars until now.

James Gryphon

If we keep it at this size, maybe we could ban animated avatars; we'll see.
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

I like 100.

And as for banning the gif avvvies - Why? We've never had cause to before now. Just because one member 'hates' them - And hasn't stated a reason why?

Or we could compromise on that. Keep the avatars 100/120, but not ban the gifs - Just make them 80x80?

James Gryphon

Well, at 100px an animated gif is half again the size that it was, so it's at least that much more notable than it was when everything was tiny. I looked at the Honeycomb while I was considering optimal sizes, and noticed that it has a rule to that effect, so it isn't an idea I came up with just out of thin air. Also, I give Bny's thoughts on how the forum should be great weight and consideration, and if she says she doesn't like something I take it seriously. (That's the main reason why we moved from the ruby red interface bars to the salmon color a while back.)

That said, a smaller size for animated gifs, rather than an all-out ban, doesn't sound unreasonable, and we could certainly start with a 80px limit and see how that feels.
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

Oh, okay, I can blame BanBan for the pink I despise with a passion now. ;) Thanks for dropping that piece of info.

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 16, 2016, 06:43:50 PM
That said, a smaller size for animated gifs, rather than an all-out ban, doesn't sound unreasonable, and we could certainly start with a 80px limit and see how that feels.

Sounds better than an extreme, all-out ban. ;)

Jetthebinturong

I support smaller sizes for GIFs.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

On the salmon: From what I could see of pictures of Redwall, it's hard to get it right (every one varies a little bit), but the color we use here is close, about as close as I think I can get from a simple gradient:

Now, I had meant to go through and change the light pink bars (like the one surrounding the News ticker) to better match the tiles you see in the picture here, but I never got around to that... maybe I will, sometime.

---

I'll talk to Matthias about the 80px limit for animated gifs next time I see him.
« Subject to editing »