News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

For Talkin' About Books

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, October 18, 2016, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

So, instead of just making another post about something I read in Interesting Facts, I thought I would go ahead and make this small topic just to talk about books we are reading or have read. Even post some of your favorite books.  I dunno, just an easy to place to see what's being read and all.

Currently, I just finished up A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain. It was such a good read, with the true research Twaine did to write the medieval speech, copy the lifestyle and ways of old villages, and the overall feeling of some metal worker randomly being amongst Merlin and the Round Table. There were adventures, physiological and political matters, connections and symbolism, just an overall great tale. One big thing I loved about it was how Twain used the sixth century as a mirror to the post Civil War era in which he wrote the book. The opression brought to slave chains, commoners controlled by the goverment, how in the end the whole of England is basically fallen and split, great on his part. I really recommend this book to a lot of you who are interested in this type of subject matter. Plus it's Mark friggin' Twain, so it's gotta be good.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Milady Scribe

Can I...I'm just gonna hug you. *hug* That book was so much fun to read! :D Your recommendation is soundly seconded.
"This song, as all of our songs, has nothing whatever to do with squirrels." -Darby O'Gill

Favorite trenchcoated characters: Castiel, Lt. Columbo, Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, The Doctor, Harry Dresden, Sherlock Holmes

Jukka the Sling

I loved that book!  There were so many hilarious parts.  ...And surprisingly serious/dark ones, like when that woman was executed.

If you haven't read it, you need to read it.  Now.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Milady Scribe on October 18, 2016, 05:19:56 AM
Can I...I'm just gonna hug you. *hug* That book was so much fun to read! :D Your recommendation is soundly seconded.
First thing I thought of:

I need to get into using reaction GIFs. BUT THAT'S IRRELEVANT RIGHT NOW.

I'm currently reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo and it's wonderful. It's about a heist on the most impenetrable fortress ever designed and the main characters are all criminals. Kaz Brekker, known as Dirtyhands, he's the dude who built himself up from nothing and became the most ruthless gang leader in Ketterdam. They say he doesn't have a conscience, and beneath his leather gloves his hands are stained in blood. Or maybe he has claws (He never takes off his gloves). Then there's Inej Ghafa, the Wraith. She's Kaz's spider. A spy and assassin who practices the art of being invisible and unheard. There's also Jesper Fahey, best sharpshooter in the Barrel. Nina Zenik, the Grisha (mage) who betrayed her friend. Mathias Helvar, that friend, and a former witch-hunter (or Druskelle). And last, and probably least, Wylan Van Eck, the merchant's runaway son.

The plot moves very slowly, but you wouldn't notice it until you thought about it, because the book is very character driven and finding out what makes them who they are is pretty much what it's about. So far Wylan hasn't had any POV chapters and the rest have (I'm about three quarters of the way through the book) which is very interesting to me.

So yeah, if you want to read about six completely morally bankrupt people performing a heist, then 10/10 would recommend.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Aimless Gallivanter

i own the mark twain book but havent finished it

i own the leigh bardugo book and finoshed that, i really liked it. the second one came out recently, i camt wait to buy it.
im gay!!!!!!

Jetthebinturong

Six of Crows

WYLAN, HONEY, NO ;_;

It is so not worth it to give up your face in order to see whether your dad is willing to kill you or not. Your face is an essential part of your identity and you gave it up for someone else's.

If he doesn't get reworked in Crooked Kingdom, then I'm going to kill something.

Also I'm glad that Nina didn't kill the Druskelle, but she should have at least killed Jarl Brum.
[close]

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: Milady Scribe on October 18, 2016, 05:19:56 AM

Yes, that book was amazing. Glad some of you know about it!

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 18, 2016, 04:02:44 PM
I loved that book!  There were so many hilarious parts.  ...And surprisingly serious/dark ones, like when that woman was executed.

If you haven't read it, you need to read it.  Now.

Oh I know, that part killed me. That and the small pox hut. Gah, Twain get me good.

On another note, I plan to pick up the new Winnie the Pooh book, something like The Best Bear in all the World. I've been waiting on it for a while, and since Winnie the Pooh is literally my childhood, I'll be glad to read it and see if Sibley adds Penguin in finely.
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Jukka the Sling

Okay, so I just finished The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and it was so good.  And so sad.  It was amazing and you have to read it like now.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Banya

Haha I like it when people have opinions on books that differ from mine. I hated The Outsiders.

Jetthebinturong

Wylder Treejumper

Because it was stupid, and Pony is an idiot, and WHY THE HECK DID IT TAKE US A WHOLE SEMESTER TO COVER A BOOK THAT TOOK ME LESS THAN AN HOUR TO READ!!!

...English class :P Ruins any book you ever read in it- unless that book is Les Mis or anything by Tolkien (and some by Twain). Not even English class can ruin those.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 26, 2016, 08:19:13 AM
Because it was stupid, and Pony is an idiot, and WHY THE HECK DID IT TAKE US A WHOLE SEMESTER TO COVER A BOOK THAT TOOK ME LESS THAN AN HOUR TO READ!!!

...English class :P Ruins any book you ever read in it- unless that book is Les Mis or anything by Tolkien (and some by Twain). Not even English class can ruin those.

Dang, I wished we had something to do with Tolkien in my English classes. Mine are pretty good for the most part, with us having read Narnia and Tom Sawyer some, but the play versions of the Miracle Worker and such are terrible and honestly, a waste of my time.

Okay, so I went on that FRIGGIN AMAZING SITE ThriftBooks.com, and ordered the rest of the Duncton series for less than 15$. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Duncton Wood if you like anything Redwall. Once I finish up the first one I'll talk more about it.
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Jukka the Sling

Why exactly was Ponyboy stupid, in your opinion?

The most annoying thing for me was the fact that Darrell called Pony 'baby' and 'honey.' What twenty-year-old greaser worth their salt does that?! XD

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 26, 2016, 11:50:51 PM
Why exactly was Ponyboy stupid, in your opinion?

The most annoying thing for me was the fact that Darrell called Pony 'baby' and 'honey.' What twenty-year-old greaser worth their salt does that?! XD

He did that? Darry isn't your typical greaser, though.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jukka the Sling

True.  And for all I know, maybe Oklahoman greasers did call their younger brothers that. :P