News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

For Talkin' About Books

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, October 18, 2016, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Half Bad
During the scene when Nathan is brought back from Celia's I just wanted him to tear into the Council. It wouldn't be realistic, but it would be so satisfying. If they'd treated him like a White Witch from the start then he would have been a White Witch and he would have obeyed them and killed Marcus for them. But they treated him like a Black Witch so he became something else. He knows what they really are, and what they really are is unsupportable monsters. Like Mr. O'Brien. I just wanted Nathan to say "you've seen my back, your own son carved those marks, are you proud of him for that?"

And all that good and evil nonsense. I just wanted Nathan to say "My mother was a good person and you killed her, my Gran was a good person and you killed her too. Arran and Deborah were good people and you killed them. Mary was a good person and the only reason she isn't dead is because you can't find her. There are good White Witches, but none of them are on the Council."

I mean, I don't know for sure that Arran and Deborah are dead yet, but I'm assuming they are.

I think the real difference between White Witches and Black Witches is that White Witches formed a proper society before the Black Witches could, and thus were able to persecute Black Witches with impunity. If I'm guessing right, then there's no actual genetic difference between Black and White witches, right?
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Feles

Half Bad:
Spoiler

I think there is something there, otherwise the witch witches wouldn't be able to prosecute the black witches in the first place
[close]
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

alexandre

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Banya

Quote from: Aimless Gallivanter on November 06, 2016, 12:33:09 PM
Quote from: Banya on October 29, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
I've been reading the Durarara!! light novels as they're released in English (preferring the official translations and supporting the author). They're so exciting; I wish many more people read them. They include a huge, interesting, and diverse cast of characters somehow tied to the city's underbelly who each get their time to shine as they react to an incident, their reactions setting off further consequences for other characters as their lives intersect. The storyline, characters, use of the setting, name dropping, all of it is so well done.
there's light novels too?? sweet!!
i still haven't finished x2 .-.
i was about to ask if you've watched or read the author's other work, Baccano! , but i remembered we had a huge conversation about it a while ago : )
A new LN is released every 4 months; #5 just came out in November. Unofficially translated pdfs can be found online, but I prefer the official translations. They're amazing! A friend broke it down for me like this: The first season is LN#1-3, Shou is LN#4-6, Ten is LN#7-10, and Ketsu is LN#11-13. After LN#13, Narita's currently working on Durarara!! SH, a second series set 10 years after the original series featuring a new cast of characters but with many of the same old character making appearances.

I have the Baccano! books on my nook, but I haven't had the time to read them yet.

Quote from: alexandre on January 08, 2017, 05:56:46 PM
I just finished "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", its really good. Also kinda sad. Has anybody else here read it?
I don't remember it well, but it has my favourite book quote of all time:
"Dear God," she prayed, "let me be something every minute of every hour of my life."

Jetthebinturong

So I finished Half Bad.

I NEED HALF WILD NOW!

Spoiler
RIP Rose :(
[close]

alexandre

Quote from: Banya on January 11, 2017, 12:11:55 AM
Quote from: alexandre on January 08, 2017, 05:56:46 PM
I just finished "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", its really good. Also kinda sad. Has anybody else here read it?
I don't remember it well, but it has my favourite book quote of all time:
"Dear God," she prayed, "let me be something every minute of every hour of my life."
:) That's a really good one, the quote from it that I remembered was a bit more goofy, something like,

"You know what?" said Neely.
      "What?"
      "You're crazy"
      "I know and isn't it wonderful!"

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Rusvul

*joins forum about a specific series to talk about said series*

*makes thread on forum dedicated to literally every series other than the one that the forum is about*

(I get why, I just find it ironic.)

Jetthebinturong

I started reading Wonders of the Invisible World by Christopher Barzak. It's really intriguing, the story is amazing and it's written beautifully.

321tumbler

I recently read Mistborn by Brian Sanderson. It was really good!

Maudie

You should read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I think it's better than Mistborn. Also, I think the second Mistborn series is better than the first.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Aimless Gallivanter

BRANDON SANDERSON IS ONE OF MY FAVES
im gay!!!!!!

321tumbler

My brother got me the first trilogy for Christmas, but I still have to read the other two. One of my friends is a huge Brandon Sanderson fan and she has a bunch of the books so I'll probably borrow the second trilogy from her. I think she has The Way of Kings as well.

Maudie

*Sigh.* I wish I owned Brandon Sanderson's books... :P
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

CaptainRocktree

The Way of Kings is so good!   ;D

It's definitely one of my favorite all time books, I'm so excited because the next book in the Way of Kings series came in the mail today!
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

All right all you Sandersonites, which of his books should I start with?