News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Queries

Started by Banya, December 08, 2016, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When should a young adult move away from their parents? (high school refers to public, private, or homeschool education)

when they become a legal adult (age 18) and finish high school, whichever happens later
in their late teens/early 20s, when they finish school, whether high school or higher ed., and begin working
whenever they become totally financially independent, even if it takes several years after finishing school
no matter their higher education/employment circumstances, they should be on their own by their mid- to late-twenties
they don't ever *have* to
other

Søren

It does sound healthy.
But I love coffee...

I'm retired from the forum

alexandre

Are Mormons opposed to drinking Kombucha? I now it had a tiny amount of naturally occurring alcohol... After searching the internet I found that it usually has less than .5% alcohol content (with some exceptions, for if it is left un-refrigerated for a while, it will start becoming more alcoholic, which some makers have actually done and then sold them as alcohol with about as much alcohol content as beer, but that isn't the kind I'm talking about) which is the maximum for any drink to not be considered alcohol, I drank three bottles on New Years, and I was not drunk, and I'm 12 yrs old so it can't have much alcohol in it. But there is a warning on the back of the bottles that one might not want to drink it if they are pregnant or have religious beliefs that are against drinking alcohol.  :-\
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Søren

Ohh, kombutcha. I tried that once and almost puked. But I want to try it again. I think that might've just been a bad day.

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

If I am correct, kombucha is fermented tea. Mormons don't drink tea either (real tea made with tea leaves, not herbal tea and such), so no. Even if we did, being rather orthodox and doctrinaire, I would not, and I guess most Mormons I know wouldn't either- but not all.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

Thanks so much for all your votes and input! I enjoyed that discussion.

Poll results:
How old were you when you were allowed to have your first drink?
10 or under
- 6 (27.3%)
11-12
- 1 (4.5%)
13-14
- 0 (0%)
15-16
- 2 (9.1%)
17-18
- 1 (4.5%)
19-20
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
I'm underage and I've never had an alcoholic drink
- 11 (50%)
I'm of age and I've never had an alcoholic drink
- 1 (4.5%)
Total Members Voted: 22

New query: Have you ever been a part of a protest, march, sit-in or other social movement? What was the reason behind it? Did you face any opposition, and how did you deal with it? If you didn't directly take part, how do you support movements for causes you believe in?

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Banya on February 11, 2017, 08:52:02 AM
New query: Have you ever been a part of a protest, march, sit-in or other social movement? Yeah, once. What was the reason behind it? It was part of a thing to stop the people in charge where I used to live from killing the deer. Did you face any opposition, and how did you deal with it? No, don't think so. But it was years ago. I think I was like seven. If you didn't directly take part, how do you support movements for causes you believe in?

Fun fact about the above: This event documents the time I was on TV. They got a picture or something of us protestors, and my family was up front. But I got the logo stuck right over my face :P

Banya

Haha that's really too bad, Peo.
Thanks for voting, everyone! Thanks for the comments, too.

Poll results:
Have you ever been a part of a protest, march, sit-in or other social movement? (comments are optional but please elaborate below)
Yes
- 1 (12.5%)
No, I don't really actively involve myself in social movements
- 6 (75%)
No, but I actively involve myself in social causes in other ways
- 1 (12.5%)

^I know who voted for the third option and I'm curious about their answer.

New query: Have you ever failed at something that meant a lot to you? A class, game, goal, etc. If you'd like to post it, how did it affect your next choices and actions?

Andy

I've failed at a lot of things that meant a lot to me. I always move on by just trying to do better and not make the same mistakes again. Most recently, I've failed at taking care of myself.  I have a tendency to put anything and everything I care about before my own needs, and there ended up being too many people and responsibilities I needed to take care of, so I ended up neglecting myself badly.  That, in turn, resulted in me failing to do a job I was volunteering to do that really meant a lot to me. I don't have the job anymore.

Right now I'm trying to actually take care of myself, learn from the experience, and hope that when I'm better maybe I can get that job back. I plan to communicate with people better in the future so that when I'm not in the right shape to deal with something, I can take the time off I need.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Ashleg

Well. Er. Wrong choice.
I wouldn't say I failed, perhaps I failed once, but of course if something means a lot to me (and honestly, most things in life are things I could care less for) I'd keep trying till I don't fail.

Gotta get that career one day.

Banya

Thank you for voting!
I've failed at important things too, repeatedly in making myself assertive and once in a class, but I learned.
I feel like I understand Andy's desire to be there for others and neglecting one's own responsibilities in the meantime, but like you said, we try to do better and not repeat our actions.

Poll results:
Have you ever failed at something that meant a lot to you?
Yes
- 13 (92.9%)
No
- 1 (7.1%)
Total Members Voted: 14

New query: Fluff question because mood. Favourite Girl Scout cookie?

Groddil

None of those exist down here. The only Girl Scout cookies I've ever tried tasted exactly like plain biscuits.

So I vote for Tim Tams instead.

Banya

My stupid fluff poll has been up for 4 months and something happened in the code that skewed the results. Moving on, I have a lot of questions waiting, so I'll try to move quicker.

Results:
Favourite Girl Scout cookie?
Thin Mints
- 3 (60%)
Tagalongs
- 1 (20%)
Trefoils
- 0 (0%)
Samoas
- 0 (0%)
Lemon Coolers/Savannah Smiles
- 1 (20%)
Do-Si-Do's
- 0 (0%)
Total Members Voted: 5

New query: When should you move out of your parents' home? Is it a certain age or is it a stage/time?

The Skarzs

I think it's more than one thing.

I myself am not moved out, but I plan on doing so. My mentor wholly agrees. . . But recommends that I wait a year.
Financially it should be a good idea to wait until you have a good enough income (do a budget sheet to place all your spending in front of you) so you don't have to worry about missing payments or going into debt. I am amassing a year's worth of rent as a buffer and to get used to spending it. Don't forget that there are other things you will need to pay for when you move out, like various insurance, internet, phone service, FOOD, etc.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

If I had to move out at age eighteen, well, I think I'd die and/or wind up on the streets. Ha.

Banya

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 04, 2017, 10:12:42 PM
I think it's more than one thing.

I myself am not moved out, but I plan on doing so. My mentor wholly agrees. . . But recommends that I wait a year.
Financially it should be a good idea to wait until you have a good enough income (do a budget sheet to place all your spending in front of you) so you don't have to worry about missing payments or going into debt. I am amassing a year's worth of rent as a buffer and to get used to spending it. Don't forget that there are other things you will need to pay for when you move out, like various insurance, internet, phone service, FOOD, etc.
It sounds like you have a really solid financial plan for the process of moving out on your own.
I would place your personal situation in the 2nd option in the polls. There wasn't enough room to spell it out, but I generalized late teen/early 20s to say when you're working and have enough money, which won't be immediately after graduating, but a year or more into the workforce. What separates that from option 3 is that option 3 cuts off things parents might still cover, like a family phone plan, insurance, a downpayment on your car, etc. So option 3 isn't actually possible until age 26 because of healthcare coverage. And what separates that from number 4 are students obtaining their doctorates or who only found unstable or low-income employment or young adults not in the workforce. There are so many factors in play and it was hard to fit this subject in a poll.
But yeah if there's ever a better way to word the options in any of my polls let me know!

One fear, Prez.

I can't personally completely move out on my own for several years. (I haven't made any sort of announcement anywhere yet but) I'm moving overseas in under 3 months and I rely on my parents for a permanent US address and a place to store many of the things I don't need right now but don't feel I should get rid of. So it's hard to answer the poll because I may advocate options 2 or 3 but my personal experience is more like 5.