Eulalia! -The Book, and Me Wondering why Everybeast Hates It

Started by Ashleg, December 17, 2016, 01:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Please don't spoil the ending, I have only forty pages left but I'd still not like it to be ruined for me!
Anyway, I've heard only negative things about this book but I really liked it.
It felt like a nice step back into the swing of things (for me, everything after Taggerung flew in a downwards spiral. This one felt exciting again.)
So..
I know we have a topic about this book already, but this is more me asking why it's so despised...
BEGIN, WARRIORS.

Feles

It's been nearly three years since I read it, and the only thing I remember not liking about it was always a little boring to me. Maybe because I was younger at the time.
That said, Vizka is still one of my favorite villains in Redwall
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Ashleg

Vizka seems like the most inept Redwall villain to me.
Big-toothed cheesefox gets shown up by one of his own and chased around by a group of tribal rats.
Not to say I don't like him. ;D

The Skarzs

I never disliked it, and there were some things I liked in it, like how many badgers were in the book- something not common in the series. However, it has been a long time since I've read it, but I do remember it not being the strongest book in the series. The female badger was a bit of a Sue, the interraction between her and Gorath felt a little unnatural (don't remember), and the villains were somewhat weak. But. . . I liked Triss less.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Feles

It really was a long time... I need to reread all of them
I am Bobracha!

Gonff the Mousethief

Dang, I hardly remember this book at all. I did like the beginning and the whole story about Gorath. The battle at the end was also a pretty good one. It didn't really leave that great of an impression on me as the first couple did. Now if you want a negative book go read the Rogue Crew. That was one I didn't like in the slightest. 
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Feles

Was it the gore? Or the Rouge Crew in the book.
Looking back, the in-book Roue Crew was rather... bland.
I am Bobracha!

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: Inquisitor on December 19, 2016, 10:33:34 PM
Was it the gore? Or the Rouge Crew in the book.
Looking back, the in-book Roue Crew was rather... bland.

Oh no, I was fine with the gore. I actually enjoyed that part. But it all felt disconnected, odd, and didn't have a real focus. And don't get me started on those hedgehogs. I'll discuss that somewhere else though.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Feles

I don't even remember the hedgehogs.

I did like the conflict with the otters and the hares though, it felt real and believable. The one young otter, whose name eludes me, who died made me cry when I first read it.

btw we totally hijacked this topic.
I am Bobracha!

Cornflower MM

My opinion. . . . Is pretty much Skar's. I haven't read it in forever, but I remember thinking it was okay. It was good, but not one of my favorites. I know some say Eulalia! was where the writing started getting weak, but I've never minded a whit. (In fact, some of the later ones are my favorites) Really, I think it's just the person - And the way they read. For example, when I read a book, I just read it. I don't dig for plot holes, or think about the way it was written, or any of that. Doing so lessens the enjoyment for me. *Shrugs*

Firehawke

It's been a while since I've read it (my current epic read has me reading Pearls of Lutra)....I don't remember much about it, but I remember I liked it.
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Jukka the Sling

I didn't care for Eulalia! that much.  If I remember correctly, I actually took a break halfway through and read The Sable Quean and maybe two other Redwall books, then came back to it.  I think it was the last Redwall book I finished.

Another thing that I distinctly remember bugging me about that book was the number of run-on sentences.  It was so annoying.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

alexandre

I liked Eulalia! a lot more than many of the later books. No, it didn't really differ from the regular Redwall format in the ways that a book like The Long Patrol or Mossflower did, but for some reason I really liked the way he developed the characters, and there personalities. Reading Orkwil Prink's adventures was quite enjoyable for me, and the life of the villains and the ways they interacted was well written. Gorath was a legendary badger as well.

Also, the book has an exclamation point in its title, how is that not awesome?  ;D ;D
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Maudie

Personally, I loved it. Mostly because of Mad Maudie.the plot and most of the characters were pretty run-of-the-mill as far as Redwall books go, but Mad Maudie is my favorite Redwall character of all time and there were some really good bits and snatches, so that kind of sealed the deal for me.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3