News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Fandom Stuff in General

Started by Jukka the Sling, February 22, 2017, 12:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

I kinda want an excuse to plug all the great fandomy stuff I've found in my travels across the internet, so here.  Discuss ALL the fandoms!

What are the best fanfictions you've found?  Best fan-artists?  Found any cool fan-made videos?  Cosplays?  A website that helps fuel your fangirling/fanboying?  Or did you meet a fandom celebrity and are dying to post about it?  Share!  (And maybe you'll end up converting people to your fandom!)

Rules: basic forum rules, of course.  No arguing, and please put all videos and large pic dumps in spoilers.

Still not sure if this topic is a good idea or not... which is why it's in the Cellars instead of Cavern Hole.  If an admin thinks it's worth moving, though, I guess I won't be opposed.

---------------

Okay, some of the best fanfics I've ever read are by CrackinAndProudOfIt, and this is for the sheer beauty of her prose.  Believe me, it's stunning, and it's written in first-person, which is so hard to do right.  She has written mostly for the Silmarillion and LotR, but she's also done a couple of stories for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  It would be worth anyone's time to check her out.  My personal favorite story by her that I've reread time and time again is Where the Worm Dies Not.  (Side note: her story Postliminium contains slash, just in case you wanna be aware, but I don't think any of her others do.)

Another fantastic author who's dabbled in a lot of fandoms is Neocolai. She's extremely good at writing hefty stories full of angst, and for the most part, her characterizations are well done.

Oh, and for anyone into Captain America, you have to check out Mellia Bee.  Particularly her amazing story Sarcophagus.  If you like Steggy (Steve/Peggy), you will read it.  Now.  That is all.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rosie Willowwater

I love some of the Hamilton fan-art people make. I don't have a specific artist I like but I'll show you some of my favorite pieces.

Spoiler

[close]

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rosie Willowwater

I edited in a couple more by the way. :)

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on February 22, 2017, 12:37:29 AM
Still not sure if this topic is a good idea or not... which is why it's in the Cellars instead of Cavern Hole.  If an admin thinks it's worth moving, though, I guess I won't be opposed.

This is a good topic, Jukka. Don't worry about it :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on February 22, 2017, 01:56:44 PM
I edited in a couple more by the way. :)
:D  I hardly know anything about Hamilton, but the art is really awesome.

Quote from: Sierra on February 22, 2017, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on February 22, 2017, 12:37:29 AM

This is a good topic, Jukka. Don't worry about it :)
:)

Jetthebinturong

My absolute favourite fanfic is Like One Sundered Star, by Oriflamme. It's a Homestuck superhero AU and I'd go so far as to say it's probably the longest fanfic in the world, and if not, the chapters are definitely longer than everyone else's. For some context, it's currently 29 chapters and 1,380,601 words, and there's also an 11 chapter, 96,601 word spin-off which you're meant to read in between some chapters of the main fic and another spin-off which is 12 chapters and 63,145 words long. I haven't even reached the point where you're supposed to read the second spin-off yet.

My other favourite Homestuck fanfics are, off the top of my head, All Kats are Grey in the Dark, [Short Circuits, Sudden Endings], Psychological Scars in Spacetime and Red Converse. None of which I will link because I cannot be bothered to find them.

My favourite MARVEL fanfic is Family Means No One Gets Left Behind or Forgotten by cosmicocean, which is a cute, pure, wholesome story about Cap adopting homeless kids.

My favourite Mortal Instruments fanfic is The Road of Life is Rocky (And You May Stumble Upon the Way) which is a Malec college AU. I really need to find it again 'cause it was awesome.

My favourite PJO fanfic was one where Will almost died as a kid, and in order to save him, Apollo gave up the part of himself that contained the primordial god Helios and gave it to Will. And that's just the premise of the story, the actual thing was so much better. It was amazing and I really need to find it again.

My favourite fanartists are Viria (mostly for PJO) and Ikimaru (mostly for Homestuck)
Examples of Viria's work

[close]
I love her art because she captures every character so well, it's kind of spooky.
Examples of Ikimaru's work

[close]
Her art is just so adorable and wholesome.

And of course I can't forget Cassandra Jean's Shadowhunter Chronicles art. Though since most of it was commissioned by Cassandra Clare herself, I'm not sure if it counts as fanart. Since she's done so much art for the series, I'm just going to choose some of my favourites from the flower cards and the tarot deck, and possibly some others.
Flower Cards

[close]
Believe it or not, that's not all of them.
Shadowhunter Tarot

I was going to do the Minor Arcana too but it's impossible to find them all so I'll just content myself with this one:
Gay kiss

[close]
[close]
Shadowhunter Gear Sets

[close]
Shadowhunter Boys Calendar

[close]
Shadowhunter Girls Calendar

[close]
Shadowhunter Seasons

The Last Spring:

The Dark Summer:

The Mortal Autumn:

The Infernal Winter:

[close]
Shadowhunter Vices and Virtues

[close]

I would do more, but this has taken up waaaaaayyy too much time.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

@Jet:  I really like Viria's art!  She's extremely talented.  She also did a few Maze Runner pieces, but not many.

And that Homestuck fanfic sounds insane.  That's basically 1.5 million words. O.O  How does the author even have a life?