News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Maxy gazed fiercely at Fastooth's extended limb, allowing for time to drizzle out as he contemplated the vermin's speech.
"Deal!" he exclaimed with a grin, locking his white paw to the rat's brown one.
"Hah, what good are tree rats anyway, if they're killing everybeast? Let's go, I say!"

OOC-
Aye, sure, it seems like a good time for that!
You wanna head it off?

LT Sandpaw

Crouched together in the shadows of Mossflower's thick underbrush Fastooth and Maxy waited patiently for the sun to dip to the horizon. In the meantime the rat extended a claw towards a grove of massive trees that grew from the forest floor, about fifty meters away, outlining his plan to his squirrel colleague in hushed tones.

"I reckon there's 'bout a hundred o' them in there, sleepin', eatin', doing wotever it is they do around this time o' day. Harken now, we're gonna smoke 'em out o' n' scatter them like butterflies in a gale, but we gotta be real careful 'bout it, or they'll string us up in them trees like a pair o' russets, so listen real close. No wait, almost forgot."

Digging in his haversack Fastooth produced two masks made from intricately woven grass fibers and lichen, with a band of leather to hold it on. Slipping it into place, Fastooth knotted it behind his head, double checking to make sure both his nose and mouth were adequately covered.         
"These ought'a protect us from th' smoke, least I think they should." Fastooth said, his voice muffled. "Try yers on."

~*~*~*~*~

"I have everything I needed." The report was only mostly true, Rayne would have liked to find a patch of maidenfur fern but it was too early in the season to expect that. Otherwise her satchel was near bursting with wild grown medical plants. She'd even discovered a few bulbs to take back to the abbey and start her own patches in the gardens.

"Unless there is anything you would like to collect Father Abbot, we might as well start heading back to the Abbey."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"Wait, we're gonna burn the trees?" Maxy asked as he finished tying his mask in place.
He didn't know how he felt about the idea of setting fire to a part of Mossflower. Fastooth acted like they were doing this for the greater good, but...wasn't it dangerous?
He conceded. "If it's what we must."

--

The Abbot wiped his brow.
He looked very worn out, and more so than usual. His age was really showing through.
"Yes," said the mouse with a smile, "I think it's about time."

Roscoe had gotten bored during the beginning bit of the collecting and ran off, on the note that he would stop by Redwall when he felt like it.
Much to Grant's relief.

LT Sandpaw

"Exactly," the rat chortled. "Dangerous, but effective. From wot I know th' runts in there are scared blitherin' by fire. An' if'n their grove burns to th' ground all th' better fer us. This'll be 'ow we do it." Fastooth emptied his bag onto the forest floor revealing twenty different balls of green grass and other natural herbs. They looked harmless enough, but Fastooth handled them with great care, splitting them between Maxy and himself.

"We'll place these at th' base o' all their trees, but 'afore we light 'em up ye'll scale all th' southern trees an' pour this 'ere oil all o'er th' tops, whistle I do th' bottom. Make sure to take that rope too, so ye wont be trapped up there when th' burnin' starts. Once me special smoke starts droppin' 'em, an' their southern trees start blazin' fr'm th' top n' bottem them tree rats'll 'ave nowhere to run but north away fr'm 'ere straight inter a swamp. An' we'll finish off whoever is left o'er."

Rubbing his paws together Fastooth cackled at the thought of the destruction they were about to unleash. "I've been waitin' seasons to do this, ye got any questions cully?"

Ashleg

Maxy opened his mouth but no sound came out.
He shook his head. Maybe we could scare them off without killing everybeast?
"Heh. W-we don't need to do that last part. What if they're watching us? They could already know we're here..."
He stopped.
Now Fastooth was going to think he was a coward.
Chuckling, the squirrel added, "Not that I'm scared or backing out or anything."

LT Sandpaw

"I doubt it," Fastooth grunted matter-of-factly. "We'd be swarmed by th' blighters if'n they knew us was 'ere." He ignored Maxy's seeming unwillingness to finish off any unconscious tree rats they might find. He himself would be more then capable to do what needed done, even if the woodlander brat couldn't. Maxy was nothing more than a useful asset if he didn't have guts, though Fastooth saw potential in the young squirrel. He just needed the right motivation.

"Time be gettin' closer young'un. Time to get gettin' as I always say. Oh, an' if'n ye see or 'ear any o' them shoutin' or ye get spotted. Damn well run like th' devil be chasin' ye, shout a load too so I know to run as well. If'n ye can meet me back at me log, but 'opefully that won't be necessary. Good huntin' matey."

~*~*~*~*~

"Where's that Roscoe run off to?" Rayne asked, glancing about the riverbank. "Don't tell me he scurried off, how clever of you Grant. Trust you to think of a way of getting rid of him, we must be sure to warn anybeast coming this way from now to take care of course, don't want them running into his gang of varmints."

She started off down Grant's shortcut, slowing her pace slightly to match Grant's. "How's the paws Father Abbot?"

Ashleg

"R-right, you too."
Maxy slung the rope over his shoulder and began scaling a tree.
He later realized he was more excited then scared. What would Stumbly say when he got home? The squirrel smirked, white tail streaming like a banner as he crept up the trunk.
She'd never been on an adventure like this. Yes, go find out what those otters are doing, in the meanwhile he would just be saving the forest from an evil band of rats with his new friend, no big deal.
The trees in this grove were larger than average.
By the time Maxy reached the main branches, he stood, panting, and wiped sweat off his brow.

--

"The paws are good," said Grant with a soft smile.
"Mighty worn out, but they're good."
He pointed and padded ahead.
"Hah, would you look at that! I can see Redwall's peaks tipping out through the trees."

LT Sandpaw

Scurrying about beneath the trees Fastooth laid down his smokers, being sure to set them where they would alight and spread to the green brush that lay thick on the forest floor. This done he picked his way through the massive trees, casting tense glimpses into the upper boughs. He could see slumbering shapes through the gloom, signifying the presence of his enemy. Hopefully Maxy was drenching tree tops in oil, and didn't wake any of the painted ones before the fires started.

Ashleg

Maxy hopped to the next tree after dousing the first one in oil.
Every now and then he would come across a rat, catch his breath, and teeter on the edge of the branch with his life flashing before his eyes.
Luckily, he did not fall.

Down on the ground, one of the Painted Ones was creeping up on Fastooth.
She was puny, but held a large spear and was wearing bones.
With her painted fur and slitted eyes, she was enough to startle anybeast.

Hickory

"They were made for you," said Gruddil with a chuckle. "Good to hear you'll make use of them."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

A twig snapped.

Fastooth froze, his large ears swiveling to catch every possible sound. "Maxy cully," he whispered claws tightening around his spear haft. "Be that ye? Yew 'ave to stay up n' them trees so ye c'n light th' fires. Where are ye youn'un?"

~*~*~*~

Prescribing a undeviating path to Redwall and rest as the best solution for sore paws, Rayne set out briskly for the Abbey. Her own sandaled footpaws were a bit tired from the unusual amount of walking, thanks to Terrin's actions, but it was hardly worth mentioning.

They arrived in good time, just as the sun was dipping below the horizon casting the north south path in great reaching shadows. Waiting for them at the already opened main gate was none other than Bracklew, armed with Martin's sword and a worried expression on his face.

"Father Abbot, Sister Rayne" he called in relief, his eyes hopeful. "Please tell me you happened across Maxy and Stumbly out there, they haven't returned yet."

Ashleg

"Yikkachikka, Maxee not me, I Inyoni, an' I be watchin' you, Ratty!"
The small, dye-furred rodent leapt in front of Fastooth, blocking his path. She snarled and jabbed her spear at him.
"Yah, brushtail Maxee be walkin' right t' death trap. Join 'im, Ratty."

--

As he arrived at what looked like the largest and most important tree, Maxy stooped and lit the oil he had poured.
"Augh, nasty," the squirrel hissed, nose wrinkling at the smell of the smoke when it began to rise up.
He threw a paw across his snout and stumbled over the sleeping form of a rat.

--

Worry flickered across Grant's face as he ran across to meet Bracklew.
"No, not a trace. You haven't seen them around here?" he glanced at Rayne. "I don't remember either of them mentioning staying out this long."

Rapshade's ears pricked when he heard the new voices by the gate.
He stood up and crept over, standing behind Bracklew and out of sight. Maxy and Stumbly, gone? What did they think would happen?
The ferret stood tip-pawed. Rayne was back...
He wrung his paws nervously over his chest and coughed.

LT Sandpaw

Cursing Fastooth threw off his satchel taking his spear in both paws as he menaced Inyoni. "No ye putrid runt, I ain't gonna. Back off 'afore I slay ye n' light these woodlands on fire, I c'n do it ye know."
Maxy's been had, Fastooth thought never once taking his eyes off Inyoni to search for his squirrel sidekick. Best to cut my losses and get out while I still can. This decided Fastooth feinted towards Inyoni's left turning to flee into Mossflower.

On one of the lower branches a young tree rat named Yippip, woken by Inyoni's cries, saw his chance to aid the tribal leader and demonstrate his immense courage and battle prowess. Not bothering to waste any time thinking he leapt straight on to Fastooth's back, digging his little claws into the larger rodent's scruff and shoulders.

"Chakka yipyip, hehehehe I gotta him!"

"Aaaagh!" Dropping onto one knee Fastooth flipped Yippip over his head, smashing him bodily into the ground, losing ahold of his spear in the process.

~*~*~*~

"I thought they'd be back by now." Bracklew stalked back and forth in the front of the gatehouse tugging at his ears. "Stumbly knows these woodlands well, they aren't lost. Which almost worries me more, but maybe they're staying at Riverblue for the night..."

"They will be fine," Rayne said confidently. "They both know how to handle themselves, and like you say they are not lost."
She glanced towards Rapshade when he coughed. "One moment Father Abbot, um Rappy, is there something you'd like to tell me?"

Ashleg

Maxy yelped and fell over the rat's back and onto his tail. When the vermin's eyes shot open, he sucked in his breath. He knew almost at once that this must be the chief.
This black and green painted rat had more grizzly trophies than everybeast else.
With an enraged hoot, he scrambled up and pounced on Maxy, bowling him to the floor again.
"Syccidth killa you!" he shrieked.
Maxy grimaced and squirmed and managed to let his footpaw to roam to the rat's belly and knock him off for a mere moment.
It was enough time to run down a branch.
"FASTOOTH!" he hollered.

Syccidth slapped the other sleeping Painted Ones awake and took off after Maxy, throwing spears.
"Syccidth got you," he whooped madly, "He killa you good an' kill you again!"

Maxy screamed and ran for his life.
He tried to unsling the rope from his shoulder but it seemed to be stuck.
"Fastooth!"

--

Rapshade's eyes flicked nervously.
Everybeast was staring at him now.
"Uh, er...no, Ma'am. Oh, 'ere comes Duncan..." he paused, fidgeting before loudly adding, "Wh-what a louse he is!"

The hare walked up and seized him.
"Excuse me? Rayne, what's going on? I came out to check on you two and then I hear this...this unlucky wretch," here he shook Rapshade, "Getting unruly."

LT Sandpaw

"Fastooth!"

Maxy's cry rang out, succeeding in awakening what few tree rats weren't already chattering. The plan had gone south, and as much as Fastooth would have liked to aid his young friend he was in no position to do so.

Beating Yippip's snout into a bloody pulp the Fastooth rolled away only to have his tail grabbed by another tree rat. Smashing out the offender's tooth he dropped kicked a third, drawing a knife and gouging out the eye of a fourth.
Perhaps sensing the danger that this foe presented, the tree rats utilized their spears to greater effect, stabbing at the dark figure who had felled four of their kin already.

"Run Maxy, get yer tail outta 'ere!" Fastooth shouted over the chattering, grunting as a spear haft brought stars to his eyes, forcing him to his knees. Maxy was probably already captured, but there was nothing left to do now to help him.
Fastooth felt his knife wrenched from his paw and more tiny claws sinking into his fur, holding him in place. Somebeast bit his ear and more than one paw hit him wherever they could as they dragged him into Inyoni's presence.

~*~*~*~*~

"He wasn't Duncan." Bracklew frowned, not appreciating the distraction from the real issue at paw. "I think I ought to get down to Riverblue tonight, make sure they are okay at the very least." He fidgeted, uncomfortable with the sudden weight of responsibility.
"I told them it was okay to go, and if something happens to them... It would be my fault. And Maxy's my little brother, I won't be able to sleep tonight unless I know he's alright. I can make it there before midnight if I hurry."