They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

"Okay, see you at home, I guess!" Maxy called, continuing down the lake.
He lashed his bushy tail.
"If you even decide to come home...for all I know, you're going to run down to RiverBlue and form a second Vigil."

The squirrel frowned deeply.
If there was one thing he did know about their past, it was that the Vigil was a group of animals who policed the forest--to Redwall's disapproval.

LT Sandpaw

"They were when we last saw them, sure." Bracklew agreed. "But they might be out here now. I doubt anybeast could resist a day like this. Look, there's Petu now." Bracklew waved down his rabbit friend and Petu responded with a wave of his own, jogging across the lawns towards them.

"Hello Brack, and Rappy too. Heh, we don't see you outside often." Petu chuckled as he drew nearer. "Actually, I haven't seen you outdoors in forever come to think of it."

~*~*~*~

"That's not entirely what I was concerned about." Rayne pushed past a few low hanging branches, sneezing when they tickled her nose. "Achew, I- achew. Whew, I meant he might not bother showing us a way at all, much less the right way."

She frowned as the vermin came back into view. "I suppose you're right, we'll just have to trust him and hope for the best."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"I think the last time I was outside was the fight," Rapshade said, more to himself than anybeast else. Was this the same lawn? Creatures died here? Time really did heal all wounds.
The ferret swiped at his ear self consciously.
"I forgot how it felt, to be honest. Thanks, thank you--Bracklew, did I thank you?"
The answer was yes. He squirmed and clutched his arm closer to him.

--

"Look who's back," Terrin whispered, nudging his mother.
They grinned fiendishly and began silently advancing when Roscoe suddenly raced out from behind to greet the mice, stopping them in their tracks.
"Darn it!"

The red-cloaked weasel took a bow.
"Abbot an' Raincloud, back fer more! You can't get enough of me, huh." He flashed his teeth. "I'm just that handsome!"

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Alright, I've got no idea what to do with Bracklew and Petu past this point. :P

IC:

"Rayne," Rayne muttered crossing her arms. "Roscoe, we need directions ba-" she stopped midsentence, only then realizing their return to the vermin might've been a poor idea. She backed away from Roscoe, only to find herself in front of Terrin and his mother.
"Let's not do anything silly." She advised the vermin, grabbing ahold of Grant's paw.

Ashleg

Ooc-
Didn't Bracklew want to...practice sword fighting?
IC-
"Oh, we won't do anythin' silly," growled the mother.
Terrin grinned an evil, childlike grin.

Yowling, Roscoe waved them off.
"Get on, go! Back inta' the bushes! Imbiciles!"
He turned around, puffing under his breath.
"What was it? Yer crossin' their lines, Rayne--Grant. Be careful."

Groddil

Quote from: Ashleg on April 13, 2017, 08:41:14 PM
"Okay, see you at home, I guess!" Maxy called, continuing down the lake. RIVER!

Stumbly's head poked out from behind several bushes.
"Riverblue? You're the one walkin' towards Riverblue, Max. Y'idjit. We came that way!"
She pointed back down towards the clearing, then vanished into the plants again. Before the squirrel could move, the head popped out again.
"And besides, a second Vigil would be a good idea. Just ask May when you get back. If you get back. Try not to get lost. The Abbot'd skin me alive. 'Oh, Stumbly, you're supposed to be an adult now! How could you get poor little Maxy eaten by Flitchaye?'"
The mousemaid put on a look of hurt shock.
"Ooh, but Father sir, even though you're not related to me in any way, it wasn't my fault! Max is just as much an adult as I am, he can handle himself!"
Her paws circled her eyes, mimicking the old mouse's spectacles.
"DISGUSTING! I've had enough of you! How dare you leave someone capable on their own? You're just a troublemaker. Not that I'm surprised you never grew up. Kitchen duty for ten seasons, or Skipper'll beat you senseless with an oven paddle."
Stumbly took another drink and let out a loud burp.
"I'm probably being too harsh on the old codger, but stay safe. For both of our sakes."
The mousemaid vanished into the bushes once more.

Ashleg

"Grant isn't like that!" called Maxy defensively, puffing up his fur. Stumbly was already gone, but he did not care.
"He just wants what's good for us. Is that such a bad thing?"
Rolling his eyes, the white squirrel turned on his heel--in the opposite direction of Riverblue.
He jumped a thick tree root.
Maybe the old mouse was a bit overprotective. He and Duncan and Aver and all the rest of the older creatures at Redwall, but...they were well-meaning.

Weren't they?

Stumbly's words started giving Max a complex. She was right. They did not take him seriously or think he could handle himself; golly, he hadn't even been out in the woods all by himself until now.
How could he even dream of questing and protecting the Abbey one day if his seniors barely respected him?
"Maybe I'll save them all one day..." he muttered. There was one beast he knew to go to that wasn't his father. Bracklew, the Abbey Warrior.
Maxy broke into a sprint.

LT Sandpaw

"Our mistake," Rayne said, watching the vermin with unhidden suspicion. "We need directions back to the river, your son brought us here against our will, and we don't know the way back." She explained, looking towards Grant for support. He probably would have a better chance at convincing Roscoe to aid them then she ever could.

~*~*~*~*~

"Aye, you did." Bracklew rolled his eyes, he wasn't sure he liked the way Rapshade was acting, but at least it was easy to deal with.

"You haven't been out of the Abbey for that long!" Petu gasped in shock, eliciting a raised eyebrow from Bracklew. "I could've sworn I've seen you out here... Once... Maybe...?"

Ashleg

Roscoe bared his teeth.
"So yer sayin' you don't like my son, is that it?! Why, I'll--" he cut himself off and reached for his blade.
Grant held his paws up.
"Ahem," the mouse coughed, glancing apologetically at Rayne and then sternly at Roscoe. "She isn't saying anything of the sort. All we are asking for is your help getting back to the river. I know you're smart, don't you know the way?"

Roscoe's purple eyes lightened up with conceited pride at the little compliment. He knew it was likely bribery in order to make him go along, but anything positive about himself was music to his ears.
He swept his cape up and spun around, back to them.
"Make Rayne apologize first."

--

"Ah-I don't know, I don't remember," Rapshade admitted, shrugging nervously.
He shot Bracklew a desperate glance, one that read "spare me from this conversation", and then pointedly looked away.
"Er, nice talking t' you, Petu."

LT Sandpaw

"Make me apologize!" Rayne cried, belligerent and defiant despite their precarious situation. "Why I never. The little brat ought to be apologizing to us for kitnapping us and force-marching us here. We were pushed and prodded in all the most uncivilized ways into these forsaken woodlands. Grant was even pushed down, do you know how dangerous that is for a mouse of his age? And then to request that I apologize! It's absolutely outrageous."

~*~*~*~*~

"How could you not remember?" Petu began to ask, but he was cut off by Bracklew. The squirrel warrior tapped his sword hilt, winking at his rabbit friend.

"I was thinking about doing some sword training Petu, fancy a few sparring matches?"

"Against you?" Petu scoffed, shaking his head. "Not today, I've got other things to distract me, important things, and I can't have bruised knuckles to do it." The rabbit frowned, glancing sideways at Rapshade. "Say, aren't you a bit concerned with having Rappy with you when you're training?"

"I welcome him to try something." Bracklew said meaningfully, closing his claws around the leather bound hilt of his sword. "But I don't think he will, he's been acting odd..."

Ashleg

Roscoe turned and prodded her with his dagger.
"Oh, okay," said the weasel jeeringly. He glanced over at Grant, a smug, crooked smirk on his snout. "I don't mean to Rayne on your parade, H'Abbot, but this missie's with ya and I guess she don't want help."

--

"Odd?" blurted Rapshade in concern, popping out from behind Petu.
"Bracklew Sir, I'll fix it, tell me what's odd, I promise I'm not trying t' disrupt anything."

LT Sandpaw

"You see what I mean?" Bracklew grumbled crossing his arms. Petu nodded in understanding, Rapshade was acting odd. It was almost more concerning then the behavior they'd normally expect from the ferret, he had to be up to something.
"He's been like this all morning," Bracklew continued, trying to find something malicious in Rapshade's plea, but only his prior distrust of the ferret kept him suspicious. "Duncan wants him watched closer, and he's been trying to impress me since breakfast. I think."

"That's, certainly odd." Petu murmured. He shook his head as if to clear his ears of a annoying insect. "Can't see why he'd want to impress you, you're hardly worth impressing." Chuckling Petu ambled off leaving Bracklew and Rapshade alone again.

"What's your game Rapshade!" Spinning suddenly the squirrel grabbed Rapshade by the front of his jacket pulling him closer until they were face to face. "You're up to something, I know it!"

~*~*~*~*~

Flinching away from the dagger, Rayne held up her paws in defeat. Normally she would've given Roscoe a hefty piece of her mind, but their current situation and the drawn weapon stilled her fury.
Sighing she bowed her head, only to raise it again, staring the weasel in the eye. "My apologies Roscoe, we need your help and knowledge of this area. Please... Ahem, please forgive me."

~*~*~*~

"Goin' somewheres young'un?" A large rat, armed with a spear stepped into Maxy's path, cutting the young squirrel off. The rat looked aged, but tough, and he held the spear with ease of a beast well versed in combat.
"Not anymore by the looks of it. Don't know many youths that go chargin' 'bout these parts o' Mossflower on their own. So, where's ye parents at? They'll be close no doubt."

OOC:  It's Fastooth. ;)

Ashleg

Rapshade looked terrified.
"I wish you no harm..." His eye contact wavered.
He felt trapped. The squirrel had a sword, and they were alone.
In a moment of instinct, he shot out with his good leg...at Bracklew's belly.

--

"First ya have to say that Roscoe is th' king of the forest an' that Rayne is a crawlin' little dirt worm," Roscoe teased, "An' then I'll 'elp you."

Grant dragged a paw across his eyes.

--

The young squirrel looked up.
"I only have one parent, and he's at home, thanks," Maxy stepped around the rat and continued walking, but paused and halted after a few steps. He lowered a brow.
"I know you're going to ask where I live. It's Redwall Abbey...home to a bunch of tough warriors. I'll be one of them one day. My father is one already."

LT Sandpaw

"Aack ooff," all the air in Bracklew's lungs rushed out in a single gasp as Rapshade's knee connected with his abdomen. Releasing the ferret's jacket Bracklew stumbled away, more surprised than hurt by the blow.
"No harm huh," he wheezed, laying a paw once more upon his sword hilt. The blade rasped out halfway, before being slide back into its sheath.
"Actually, that won't be necessary, I've got a better idea."

~*~*~*~

"... Roscoe is the king of the forest." Rayne chanted in the most singsong voice she could muster. Then, with amazing speed, "and Rayneisacrawlinglittledirtworm." She closed her eyes, looking visibly hurt by the confrontation. Somehow, with what dignity she had left, Rayne maintained a calm demeanor refusing to be baited by Roscoe once again.
"There, I said it. You'll help us now, right, your majesty?"

~*~*~*~*~

"I know Redwall," the rat growled. He followed Maxy, using the spear haft like a walking stick. He was impressed by the squirrel's lack of fear, or lack of displayed fear. So he kept pace with Maxy, shambling along with a slight limp.
"I asked for ye parents cause ye got nothin' to take off'n ye, least nothin' worth takin'. But if he's at Redwall that wouldn' 'elp me much either. Can't see meself taken Redwall single-pawed, no?" He chuckled winking at the squirrel casually. "So, are ye out alone. Surely there's somebeast wit' ye nearby, an' mayhap they'll 'ave valuables on them I could borrow."

Ashleg

Roscoe beamed.
"Yeah, sure, or something like that. I'm a benevolent king. Come on!"
He ran ahead, cape and tail streaming out behind him.

Chuckling, Abbot Grant followed more slowly.
"Good job, Rayne."

--

Maxy's eyes glimmered. He was actually getting bothered by a vermin! This was the beginning of something, he knew it. "Nope, just me and this pebble I keep kicking. There were some otters back there...I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

--

Rapshade stumbled backwards, going over in his mind whether he would choose to run or to stay there.
If he ran, he wouldn't get far. The ferret merely backed up a little bit more from Bracklew, and grinned, sheepishly, dusting off his coat. He had a flighty look in his eyes.
"I-I didn't--I didn't mean--it was reflex."