News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

What you'd like to be known for (writing)

Started by Frost, February 26, 2017, 02:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost

I assume many of us not only enjoy reading, but on the occasion are known to write fiction of our own. Pipe-dream fantasy (or whatever you'd like to use), what would you like readers to enjoy about your writing? What sorts of things do you think you do well?

...Free admission: posting from a phone is so disjointed and ODD.
Someday you will find me, caught beneath the landslide...

Luftwaffles

If I'm gonna be known for anything at all, I'd like for that to be my passionate way of delivering the dialogue and establishing the characters. That, I would be satisfied with.

Quote...Free admission: posting from a phone is so disjointed and ODD.

Oh YES.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Frost

Thanks Sierra! So let's chase this rabbit: what do you mean by 'passionate' dialog and character creation? Obviously there are examples where that would fall flat, but what do you have in mind?

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Frost on February 26, 2017, 02:45:39 AM
Thanks Sierra! So let's chase this rabbit: what do you mean by 'passionate' dialog and character creation? Obviously there are examples where that would fall flat, but what do you have in mind?

Well, simply put: when I'm writing something, I want to make sure that both my current state of mind and the fun that I'm having while putting everything together show. I don't have any examples at hand, but I DO have my ancient animation thread on the old forum, in which you could see a bit of the delivery:

http://www.redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=7944.msg436974#msg436974

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Frost

QuoteI don't have any examples at hand, but I DO have my ancient animation thread on the old forum, in which you could see a bit of the delivery:

...And you drop this massive wealth of information like you're casually tossing a phone number on a napkin. ;)

This will take some time, but I'm gonna read it! From what I can see, though, it sounds like your voice is coming through strong.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Frost on February 26, 2017, 03:03:26 AM
QuoteI don't have any examples at hand, but I DO have my ancient animation thread on the old forum, in which you could see a bit of the delivery:

...And you drop this massive wealth of information like you're casually tossing a phone number on a napkin. ;)

This will take some time, but I'm gonna read it! From what I can see, though, it sounds like your voice is coming through strong.

^^!

My grammar wasn't at its best at the time, though. You have been warned ;)

Ungatt Trunn

If I'm writing a response paper of a philosophical piece, I hope that my readers will see something unique and interesting in them, that make them stand out from others, and that they really get something out of reading my work.

If I'm writing a story, I want to get the same results as above, except that I want to have the personal satisfaction that comes with writing a well-thought out, intricate and just (hopefully) well-done tale. I'm actually working on a fiction of sorts right now - I might share it on this forum once I write a bit more of it...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Jetthebinturong

I'd like to be most well known for my characters and dialogue. I believe that characters are the soul of any work of fiction and that even a lackluster plot can be turned into something amazing with the right characters (can somebody say sports anime?).

I have a writing thread here if you're interested.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Kitsune

I'd want to be known for a beautiful story.

Gonff the Mousethief

One of the most inspirational quotes I've ever heard is from Brian Jacques. He said in an interview to "Paint Pictures with your Words." I have taken that to heart. If my writings had to be known for anything, I hope it would be the way I describe and give a different view of something so common. Painting a new picture.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jukka the Sling

I'd want to be known for good writing, great characters, and deep worldbuilding.  I don't think my writing is too bad as it stands (that sounds boastful - not my intent), so I'll have to work on the other two points if this is going to come true.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Andy

I'd like to be known for my characters and a different perspective to what people are used to/expecting, I think, when it comes to general fiction writing. I do have an interest in the macabre as well and if I ever get something of that nature published I'd like to be known for shocking and appalling readers in a delightful way, if that makes sense, and would love to be viewed similarly to Poe. I am aware that's highly ambitious and very unlikely, but hey, shoot for the moon and all that, yeah?
Only actions can speak the truth.

Maudie

I'd like to be known for originality and diversity. So, kind of the opposite of Rick Riordan. ;D (Seriously though, he needs to stop recycling the same idea.)

I really love fantasy coming-of-age adventures, like Ella Enchanted and Ranger's Apprentice. They're fun, clean, and they really remind me of why I started writing. I want to write something along those lines, but broaden my horizons a bit. I've been a lot more interested in sci-fi lately, so definitely some of that. I think I'm pretty good at making characters (and by that I mean whenever I put a character of mine through a Mary Sue test the results say they're well-balanced and interesting :D). I want to be known for overall good stories. No specific part of writing, just good overall. Brandon Sanderson may be good at world building, but his characters fall flat. Rick Riordan may turn out some lovable and interesting characters, but his plots can be chaotic. I don't want to be one of those authors that is known for one particular thing. I want to be good as a whole.

Sorry, discombobulated ramblings. :P
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

Do villains count?
I don't just mean on this site, but in the book I'm writing everyone I've showed it to really loves them.

If I were to pick a weakness it would be choosing to write.
I get so discouraged and just stop, that's why it has taken so long.

Skyblade

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!