Quote Pyramids

Started by Kitsune, March 04, 2017, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

I really think there should be a limit to how many times something can be quoted, because it can and has easily gotten out of hand. Quote Pyramids cause lag too, or at least they do for me.

Luftwaffles

And they are forbidden on many forums as well.

It is, indeed, an annoying practice.

I'd suggest people to only quote the part they are currently replying to. I know that context is important and all, but I doubt anyone would forget what started it (or that those initial posts would disappear).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Chipster of Noonvale

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on March 04, 2017, 06:03:20 PM
The problem I have is that some members seem to consider building huge quote pyramids a game.  Check out this thread:

http://www.loamhedgeabbey.com/index.php?topic=602.390

Well, yeah but the whole topic is a joke. It's different there because there's no meaningful conversation getting interrupted nor slowed down.

I personally just take issue when it happens on actual threads.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Ashleg

That's my thread--it's a Cellars thread, and as Sierra said it isn't doing any harm.
It isn't slowing down the website or the Cellars, the only thing that's slow is the thread itself (and by slow, I mean takes two extra seconds to load. At least for me it isn't slow).
Nobody has to click there.

James Gryphon

It's not totally accurate to say it only influences that post; quote pyramids also show up on "Recent Posts". The idea that nobody has to click there also doesn't help if they're not aware that the topic is prone to these types of quotes. It's also fitting with the principle of the existing "rules of courtesy" to do something to restrict these, like posts that stretch the screen and posts with too many images or emoticons.

I'm not necessarily against all pyramids, but there is a point where they become excessive (like the one where you can't even see what the original quote said). I don't think it's unreasonable to request that people stop this after a time. Whether a topic has reached that point is open to the discretion of the staff.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

I think a limit is the best idea, rather than banning it altogether.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Skarzs is right. Limiting is a much better idea than banning. Extreme solutions should only be used in extreme situations, IMO.