General topic for asking questions you don't want to start a thread for.

Started by Ashleg, April 18, 2017, 04:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Quote from: cryptopur on April 18, 2017, 06:57:32 PM
Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 06:53:09 PM
Is there a complete collection of the series collectively in the Soma Games office?

We do!
I'd upload a photo...but I can't see how to do that. :(

You can paste the picture on a site like PostIMG and upload the link on here using the [IMG] tags :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Matthias720

What kinds of unexpected challenges of come up during the development process?

cryptopur

Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 07:16:02 PM
What kinds of unexpected challenges of come up during the development process?

What? You mean besides rewriting the game design document about a dozen times? ;)
Honestly my personal challenge is something kinda nerdy but I've had a bear of a time building a sense of geography and ecology that meets the descriptions in the book and still makes sense in the real world where water flows downhill. :)
We've had to make an elevation map of the entire region to just figure out what areas are higher elevation than others and it's been a really difficult (though arguably unnecessary) problem to solve. Still - if that's my one contribution to the Redwall universe I'll feel ok. :)

Luftwaffles

This is not a question, I just wanna say that the passion and enjoyment you all show while talking about the game is truly inspiring. Here's hoping to enjoy it and recommend it very soon :)

But this is a Q&A thing and I don't want to feel like I'm robbing you of your time by not asking a question, so here it goes: what are your hopes for the game once it is out and on the stores?
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

cryptopur

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 18, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
...what are your hopes for the game once it is out and on the stores?

You know, when we first got involved I have to admit that I didn't know about Redwall. In fact nobody here really knew the property at all.
But as we got involved we all came to really love what it was all about and also the community of folks who stand behind it. I think the thing that's struck us was how passionate the fans are. we get letters from folks saying how the books shaped their lives, even SAVED their lives! So it's been a tremendous honor to get to know the world and the community.

This is going to sound cheesy but it's true: if we can capture this world accurately so that fans like y'all feel like they're able to "live there" in a new way and breathe in the air...then we'll have won.

Matthias720

Have you had a moment interacting with the Redwall community that has stood out more than any other?

cryptopur

Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 07:42:42 PM
Have you had a moment interacting with the Redwall community that has stood out more than any other?

I'd say the story I tell the most is a letter we got from a soldier in Afghanistan. He said that he read the books as a young man and in his words, "It made him the man he was today" then he went on to say how happy he was that we were treating the property with the respect and care it deserved.
In the end said, "...so don't F&%$! it up!"

...yeah...good times... :)

Matthias720

Ashleg

Is it going to be for the computer or for actual game systems, like the Nintendo and PlayStation?

cryptopur

Quote from: Ashleg on April 18, 2017, 08:39:33 PM
Is it going to be for the computer or for actual game systems, like the Nintendo and PlayStation?

Right now we're planning for PC & Mac via Steam, plus Xbox One and PS4.

James Gryphon

I apologize if these have been asked before, or if information is readily available from published media.

This question probably sounds crass given the clear focus of the game on storytelling and world-building, but what kind of game mechanics are involved in the first episode? (I assume given Mr. Jacques' views on such things and the target audience that we're not doing slash'em'ups.)

How good of a view do we get of the Abbey itself (past the most obvious locations; I'm thinking of places dormitories, Cellars, spare storage rooms ;) , the kitchen, all of that), and how heavily populated is it?
« Subject to editing »

cryptopur

Quote from: James Gryphon on April 18, 2017, 09:58:56 PM
I apologize if these have been asked before, or if information is readily available from published media.

This question probably sounds crass given the clear focus of the game on storytelling and world-building, but what kind of game mechanics are involved in the first episode? (I assume given Mr. Jacques' views on such things and the target audience that we're not doing slash'em'ups.)

How good of a view do we get of the Abbey itself (past the most obvious locations; I'm thinking of places dormitories, Cellars, spare storage rooms ;) , the kitchen, all of that), and how heavily populated is it?

Hi James - that doesn't sound crass at all so thanks for asking.

One thing we have to speak to fairly often is Brian's well known comments that there would never be ANY Redwall video game. Many people suspect that once he passed away things change and nobody is respecting his wishes but that isn't the case. Mr. Jacques was fully part of the original contract deal that started this project. Basically video game technology had evolved a great degree between the mid nineties and the double-oughts and he became comfortable that a game COULD finally capture the heart of his stories. As an odd twist of fate our original partner on this deal was just a few days from flying to Liverpool to sign his deal when Mr. Jacques suddenly passed away. Needless to say, that DID throw a lot of dust in the air that had to settle out but the bottom line was that he was on-board before he passed and we've continued to work with the Jacque's family to make sure this game stays true to the spirit of Redwall.

So that said, The Scout is best understood as a stealth-adventure game. We do have to treat combat and violence as a special matter and one way to do that is to make it expensive. But this is also a practical consideration as we want to get the WORLD right before we dig right into combat so frankly we're putting off any serious combat mechanics until at least episode two.

As for Redwall Abbey...you'll just have to see.  ;D

MatthiasMan

Sounds like this'll be an absolute blast!!

Is this going to be available on all operating systems?  If not, there's no need to worry about that at all, I am plainly curious.

cryptopur

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 18, 2017, 11:16:29 PM
Is this going to be available on all operating systems?  If not, there's no need to worry about that at all, I am plainly curious.

I reckon that depends on your definition of "all"... ;)

MatthiasMan

Quote from: cryptopur on April 19, 2017, 12:06:09 AM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 18, 2017, 11:16:29 PM

I reckon that depends on your definition of "all"... ;)

Well, Mac, Windows and Linux.