Redwall Abbey Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Redwall Abbey Community forum! Drop by the Introduction Thread to get acquainted with the community.

Pages: 1 [2]   New

Author Topic: General topic for asking questions you don't want to start a thread for.  (Read 358 times)

James Gryphon

• Administrator
  • Redwall Carpenter
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile

I apologize if these have been asked before, or if information is readily available from published media.

This question probably sounds crass given the clear focus of the game on storytelling and world-building, but what kind of game mechanics are involved in the first episode? (I assume given Mr. Jacques' views on such things and the target audience that we're not doing slash'em'ups.)

How good of a view do we get of the Abbey itself (past the most obvious locations; I'm thinking of places dormitories, Cellars, spare storage rooms ;) , the kitchen, all of that), and how heavily populated is it?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:04:57 PM by James Gryphon »
« Subject to editing »
~ Overlord's Orders XVII ~
~ Triangular Trivia ~

The following users thanked this post: cryptopur

cryptopur

• Developer
  • Redwall Novice
  • Makers of The Warrior Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Soma Games

I apologize if these have been asked before, or if information is readily available from published media.

This question probably sounds crass given the clear focus of the game on storytelling and world-building, but what kind of game mechanics are involved in the first episode? (I assume given Mr. Jacques' views on such things and the target audience that we're not doing slash'em'ups.)

How good of a view do we get of the Abbey itself (past the most obvious locations; I'm thinking of places dormitories, Cellars, spare storage rooms ;) , the kitchen, all of that), and how heavily populated is it?

Hi James - that doesn't sound crass at all so thanks for asking.

One thing we have to speak to fairly often is Brian's well known comments that there would never be ANY Redwall video game. Many people suspect that once he passed away things change and nobody is respecting his wishes but that isn't the case. Mr. Jacques was fully part of the original contract deal that started this project. Basically video game technology had evolved a great degree between the mid nineties and the double-oughts and he became comfortable that a game COULD finally capture the heart of his stories. As an odd twist of fate our original partner on this deal was just a few days from flying to Liverpool to sign his deal when Mr. Jacques suddenly passed away. Needless to say, that DID throw a lot of dust in the air that had to settle out but the bottom line was that he was on-board before he passed and we've continued to work with the Jacque's family to make sure this game stays true to the spirit of Redwall.

So that said, The Scout is best understood as a stealth-adventure game. We do have to treat combat and violence as a special matter and one way to do that is to make it expensive. But this is also a practical consideration as we want to get the WORLD right before we dig right into combat so frankly we're putting off any serious combat mechanics until at least episode two.

As for Redwall Abbey...you'll just have to see.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Gonff the Mousethief, Rosie Willowwater

MatthiasMan

• Abbey Gatekeeper
  • Everyday Glory, No Matter What They Say.
    • View Profile

Sounds like this'll be an absolute blast!!

Is this going to be available on all operating systems?  If not, there's no need to worry about that at all, I am plainly curious.
It's good to be back everyone!!!!
If you want to be astounded by my OLD art, go to http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=7153.0

cryptopur

• Developer
  • Redwall Novice
  • Makers of The Warrior Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Soma Games

Is this going to be available on all operating systems?  If not, there's no need to worry about that at all, I am plainly curious.

I reckon that depends on your definition of "all"... ;)

MatthiasMan

• Abbey Gatekeeper
  • Everyday Glory, No Matter What They Say.
    • View Profile

I reckon that depends on your definition of "all"... ;)

Well, Mac, Windows and Linux.
It's good to be back everyone!!!!
If you want to be astounded by my OLD art, go to http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=7153.0

Ashleg

• Abbey Beekeeper
  • Cellars President
    • View Profile
    • Emperor Ashleg for Cellar President

In the non-main mode, will we be able to create our own characters? And if so, which species will be playable?
"Heed not the rebel who scream REVOLUTION, they have not your interest at heart..."
-Samuel Seabury

Gargamel is a good person.

Wylder Treejumper

• Abbey Glassmaker
  • A Lady's Favor
    • View Profile

I just want to say, I really appreciate the time you put in working with the community to develop the world. Combat is a feature that is often very appealing to this genre, so it says something about the depth of the work that you are trying to do that spent your time developing the world rather than working on things like combat functions. It is things like that that will win the fanbase for you.
True worth is in being, not seeming-
In doing, each day that goes by,
Some little good- not in dreaming
Of great things to do by and by.
For whatever men say in their blindness
And spite of the fancies of youth,
There's nothing so kingly as kindness
And nothing so royal as truth.

Courage: not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.
It is not the armor but the heart that makes a man a knight

The following users thanked this post: Jukka the Sling

MeadowRabbit

• Redwall Librarian
    • View Profile

This looks so exciting! Fb seems to know I'm a Redwall fan and gave me a 'suggested page' for the game a few times on my newsfeed; it was great to see the progress being made. ;D

Will it be likely I will be able to play it on this clunky PC Windows 7 laptop of a few years old now, or even my mac, which is about 10 years old... Worried they won't be fast and up-to-date enough to work properly for the game, but don't want to miss out! :o
~*Tibbar Wodaem*~

Pages: 1 [2]   New
Tags: