News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

TALK TO ME< I'M AT SCHOOL

Started by Ashleg, April 18, 2017, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Quote from: Ashleg on April 18, 2017, 05:29:43 PM
Right now I'm reading The Dark Portal by Robin Jarvis.
A classic mice vs rats story.
I love that series! I read and re-read those books in elementary and middle school and still have the trilogy. It's at my parents' house though. It's a pretty dark series but so good.

Edit: story time. I got into The Dark Portal series when I was reading a Redwall book in class in the 4th grade and my teacher asked if it was one of the Dark Portal books, but she couldn't remember the name and tried describing the first book, and I was really confused and said no, it's nothing like she described. (It sort of is, with evil cats and rats and large buildings and farms but she threw me off when she mentioned London and magic.) So she promised to try to get the name of the series and went to talk about it with our para-pro. The para-pro remembered the author and back then, we used to get read to for about a half hour every day after lunch recess, and the teacher brought The Dark Portal in a few days later and read it to us over a week or so. I loved it, but I don't think anyone else did, and the teacher even had a hard time with some parts because she'd forgotten how graphic it can be (unlike Taggerung, where Tagg refused to skin another creature alive, mice do get skinned in The Dark Portal). So I asked my family for the entire trilogy for Christmas and got it. Read them so many times but not in the last ~11 years. I recommend those books. They're really not any more graphic than the Redwall books, with skulls on pikes and similar themes of good, evil, peace and violence; but the mood is much darker, so it feels different.

Ashleg

Quote from: Banya on April 19, 2017, 03:46:57 AM
I love that series! I read and re-read those books in elementary and middle school and still have the trilogy. It's at my parents' house though. It's a pretty dark series but so good.

Yes!!!
If you ever want to talk about it without spoiling it because I'm not even half way through the first book, this is the place.

I checked to see if the series had an official forum but it doesn't.

Banya

Love to! It's been a long time since I've read them, but I've read them so many times that I remember them pretty well. I've been wanting to re-read them for quite some time but I'm working through the Redwall series atm.

Do you have a favourite character so far? I think mine was Piccadilly.

Edit: It does have an official wiki! It's not exactly active; no one's made an edit in over 6 months. But every page has spoilers so please don't go through it!

Wylder Treejumper

*Scribbles notes*

I'm looking for interesting books to pick up. It's been a while since I found any decent fantasy. The teen section of my library is just full of absolute garbage, with some books that have compelling plots but apalling writing mixed in here and there.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

Ashleg

Quote from: Banya on April 19, 2017, 04:00:31 AM

Do you have a favourite character so far? I think mine was Piccadilly.

Morgan all the way.
And then Madame Akkikuyu.

If I had to pick a good guy, I would probably say Piccadilly. Or Aubrey.
I'm trying to like Oswald, but he just annoys me.

Morgan is my favorite.

Andy

Quote from: Banya on April 19, 2017, 03:46:57 AM

Edit: story time. I got into The Dark Portal series when I was reading a Redwall book in class in the 4th grade and my teacher asked if it was one of the Dark Portal books, but she couldn't remember the name and tried describing the first book, and I was really confused and said no, it's nothing like she described. (It sort of is, with evil cats and rats and large buildings and farms but she threw me off when she mentioned London and magic.) So she promised to try to get the name of the series and went to talk about it with our para-pro. The para-pro remembered the author and back then, we used to get read to for about a half hour every day after lunch recess, and the teacher brought The Dark Portal in a few days later and read it to us over a week or so. I loved it, but I don't think anyone else did, and the teacher even had a hard time with some parts because she'd forgotten how graphic it can be (unlike Taggerung, where Tagg refused to skin another creature alive, mice do get skinned in The Dark Portal). So I asked my family for the entire trilogy for Christmas and got it. Read them so many times but not in the last ~11 years. I recommend those books. They're really not any more graphic than the Redwall books, with skulls on pikes and similar themes of good, evil, peace and violence; but the mood is much darker, so it feels different.
Sounds like my kinda series.  I'll have to see if I can find it.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Ashleg

Banya

A para-professional... back in elementary they didn't separate the special needs kids from the rest like they do in middle and high school. So all the special needs kids in each grade were put in one normal class and the para-pro was responsible for sitting near them and sort of mentoring them throughout the year. So they did most things with us as a class but always had the extra assistance. In the 4th grade I just happened to be placed in the class that had the two special needs kids. I'm not sure about the other years, but I remember that year specifically because that was the first year of standardized testing and I helped one of them with his homework in the after school daycare program we were both in but then my brother and I got kicked out and we didn't talk any more.

Ashleg

Oh, we have them here but they aren't called that, just "helpers".
The special needs kids also aren't separated here, in my middle/ high school.

Ashleg

HEEEEYYYYYY, WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?

321tumbler

Aimless Gallivanter

im waiting for my art class to start, we're drawing portraits if our model doesny walk out on us
im gay!!!!!!

The Skarzs

I'm at work. Guess that counts?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

Ima sittin' in a Study Hall, hoping nobody sees me typing this up. Though I am in the back, so I guess that lessens the odds just a tad.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.