News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Skyblade

I heard about the redesigned SAT; however, that change will not affect us as current juniors. It will happen starting March 2016.

As for how I'm studying...I will admit that I've actually been preparing since middle school. My parents did a very good job of raising me the SAT way. Right now, I'm scoring around 2200. Here are some things I did/am doing to get ready:

- Memorize vocab words for Critical Reading sentence completions. Some will disagree, but honestly, it helped soo much for me. Based on my own experience, the best SAT vocab lists are Direct Hits 1 and 2 and Princeton Review's Hit Parade (it's contained in a giant SAT prep book that costs a bit of money, so I suggest checking the whole thing out in the library or looking for the list online or just plain buying it).

- When you take a practice test, look over the questions you get wrong, skipped, or guessed on. Even questions that you were iffy about. Why did you get it wrong? This is especially important for math, I believe. I think if you do practice tests from the official SAT guide, 2nd edition, you can find answer explanations online.

-Learn the content for SAT math and grammar. Math will be more of a review. Grammar has a lot of random rules. I am not kidding when I said that the SAT made me a grammar nazi.

- In addition, it's good to know strategies for the Math section. Many books have these, and you can find some online.

- Speaking of online, here's a GREAT resource you may or may not be using already, and it's free! I don't know if we're allowed to post outside links, so Google search "college confidential sat and act", and one of the first links should lead you to its SAT and ACT foruns. I found so much good advice there. You don't even have to join to benefit (Though an account there is nice, also).

- I recommend Brian Leaf's Top 50 Skills books, but they're a a bit pricey. Some poking around online can also help you find prep books.

- Pray and work hard. It's a deadly combination 8)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

Skyblade

No problem! :) Anyway, as one can easily tell, I enjoy talking about academics! If anyone else wants some help or advice, just let me know!! ^^

So, how's school and stuff.

Mhera

It's going good well.  ;)

And now to change the subject...

Do you think the importance of college is overemphasized in our culture? It seems that a commonly held belief is that if you don't go to college or if you drop out you're destined for a mediocre and unsuccessful career, which looking at guys like Bill Gates and Rush Limbaugh (love him or hate him he's the second name that popped into my head) show that that's not always the case. For some (like you) it makes sense to go to college, but for plenty of people I can't help but think they'd be better off skipping a degree they won't use and a great deal of debt.

So what I'm asking is, what do you think about the cultural expectation that every high schooler needs to go to college?

(This was sort of inspired by my brothers, some of whom have either bypassed or stopped attending college for the time being and yet are still doing pretty well.)

Banya

I think the importance of college is definitely overemphasized.  My brother is on the trade school track and he's going to do just fine in life.  He's incredibly smart but he couldn't write a research paper, and he doesn't need to.  Part of it is that schoolwork neither interests him nor holds his attention.  I think it's important that he has the option to go to college, but he is free to choose a different path.  Parents of student at my school were shocked when in conversation, my mother told them he wouldn't be taking AP classes because they're not his style.  So what?  He doesn't need them.  He's an incredibly gifted welder and an Eagle Scout, has remarkable savoir faire, and I'm proud of him.

This is great topic.  In the poll there are 2 people who selected "other" and I'm curious about what that means for them.

Søren

Higher education is not worth it. TRADE school, yes depending on the circumstances . But I am related to and are close friends with people who agree that a four-year college degree isn't worth the time, money, tome spent away from family, and the other effects it brings. To support oneself, and two year trade school is definitely worth it, especially if that trade is for something that pays well, like a hygienist. But a 4 year degree often leads to family deterioration.

I'm retired from the forum

Banya

I don't know yet if my 5 year degrees are worth it; I'll tell you a year or so after I graduate.  I do know that the opportunities I'm gaining at my college (the internships, professional connections, career planning, research) are worth the time and money I'm putting into my education (though I would argue that it's a ridiculous amount of money for anything - I could by a new car for each semester I study here, and that's after scholarships and financial aid).  I also would disagree about a 4 year degree often leading to family deterioration; I personally feel closer to my family than ever now that I don't live with them.  When I see them, I have to put effort into seeing them and work everything else around it.  I think our relationship has only been strengthened by my leaving for school and their support for me.

Hickory

Wow, I'm the only private student.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

@Banya
Well good for you! I'm glad it's working out for you. But I was just saying what I've been told from people I know.

Kitsune

Banya

Quote from: PluggFiretail on February 13, 2015, 09:39:21 PM
I said other because my school is both Christian (religious-based) and private.

Thanks for clarifying, Plugg.  I was curious if that option was maybe selected by someone who went to trade school, or got a job after high school and never went to college but plans to someday, or something else.  I'm not familiar with any private schools that aren't religious based, but I know they exist.

Skyblade

Good question, Mhera, thank you for posting :)

In my opinion, though, college truly is important. It provides stability. True that some people somehow become successful without a college degree; however, that does not apply to everyone. The way I was brought up, I was not told, "You are going to to go college"; I was told, "You are going to go to a prestigious college". It was all to create a future for me that will be more stable and less shaky. This may also be why my parents don't want me to major in something like creative writing or music: it's risky. Colleges decrease risk in general

Another thing: I don't see how college can be so bad. Personally, I consider more of its beneficial qualities. They make us more qualified for our pursued careers. Imagine if not as many people didn't go to college. That would result in a population filled with people less qualified in their respective careers. A more educated population is probably a good thing. Really, it's for our future, and the future of the world and its people.

Wylder Treejumper

For many people, yes, college is good. The world increasingly revolves around businesses, and many most jobs require or will require college degrees. For manual or artisanal jobs, I would not recommend college- it often provides little value and ends up loading students with debt. Also, I don't think every highschooler should go to college- many highschoolers end up going to college unprepared for the level of skill and rigor required by colleges and, especially in community colleges, end up taking on debt and then failing their classes. That said, most high-paying and skilled jobs require college education- professions such as being an engineer or some types of technicians, finance, etc. Generally (unless you are a longshoreman in Seattle) manual labor is not enough to support a family on.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Mhera

Interesting ya'll. I basically agree with Banya; I believe college is important but it's not for everyone. Also, on Soren's point about family deterioration: even though they've been gone awhile, my brothers and I are just as close as ever. It's a simple matter of staying in touch.

Changing the topic again, this time shifting to tests like the SAT and ACT. It seems strange that these exams are weighted so heavily as they seem to be a better judge of how well you can take a test then of how well you can actually function, learn, and contribute in an academic environment. Put another way, studying for them feels a bit funny because for the first time I'm not studying to learn but to take a test, if that makes any sense. Thoughts?

Søren

One final bit in about the colkedge-away-from-home, I was only saying what I've seen and learned from people I know.
Anyway, back to the SAT and ACT.
Yes, I do agree with Mhera. Because the test hold so much of a grade, it's all about passing it so you know enough to move on. Also, the teachers put so much emphasis on it. It's never about "Learn this so you won't be unprepared for the real world" it's more like "Study this so you can past the test and not have to do all this over again."