News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Skulduggery Pleasant

Started by Jetthebinturong, August 25, 2016, 01:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

I know literally only one other person on this forum has read any Skulduggery Pleasant and even then it's only the first book, but I don't care. Because I love Skulduggery Pleasant.

I have made this thread in preparation for SPX (Or Skulduggery Pleasant book 10 if you prefer (THE HYPE IS REAL)) but feel free to talk or ask about whatever you want.

Question for @Peony: When you read SP was it a self-titled edition or one called Scepter of the Ancients? (Everywhere except the US, the first book is just called Skulduggery Pleasant and the first few books published over there were published under that name until they decided on the SotA rebrand).

Also IMPORTANT NEWS! Derek is trying to get them published in America again! My suspicion is he wants to have new American editions out when SPX hits the shelves.

One last thing: Fletcher Renn.

That is all.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

The only copy I've seen is titled Skulduggery Pleasant Looks like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3fMLYc-wDgw/Tf-oE2u7SpI/AAAAAAAAARQ/JycC8mGvizI/s1600/skull.jpg       The line of text at the bottom never fails to make me laugh. :P

Quote from: Jet the binturong on August 25, 2016, 01:41:11 AM
Because I love Skulduggery Pleasant.

I have made this thread in preparation for SPX (Or Skulduggery Pleasant book 10 if you prefer (THE HYPE IS REAL)) but feel free to talk or ask about whatever you want.

Do you really? I couldn't tell. :P

OOOH THERE'S GONNA BE A BOOK TEN?!Cool!

Quote from: Jet the binturong on August 25, 2016, 01:41:11 AM
Also IMPORTANT NEWS! Derek is trying to get them published in America again! My suspicion is he wants to have new American editions out when SPX hits the shelves.

*Shrieks and shakes Jet* WHAT?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME EARLIER?! WHY WHY WHY?!?! DUDE! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS SINCE THE RAVEN KING!!!

Which, granted, wasn't that long ago but still. You get my point.

Jetthebinturong

Ah that's a cool one, but I prefer the English cover.

The SP taglines are so great.

"And he's the good guy."
"Don't try this at home!"
"Do panic. They're coming."
"Don't lose your head." (It's funny with context)
"Possibly a bit too gripping."
"Kicking evil very hard in the face."
"COLD. BLOODED. THRILLER."
"And she's the bad guy."
"NO ONE IS SAFE."
"Fun time is over. Mostly."

I've raved about SPX twice.

I only found out the day I started this thread so I couldn't have told you sooner.

Cornflower MM

For once, the English book cover designers got things right!

Yes. Yes, they are.

Where you raved and when, Jet, makes a very big difference. :P

Mmm. Fine, I'll let you off the hook. :P

Jetthebinturong

One of the raves was in the "Fangirl Slumber Party" thread.

It annoys me that Skulduggery is endorsed by both Rick Riordan and Jonathan Stroud and yet it manages to remain unknown.

I want the movie (and I will accept NO ONE but Katie McGrath to play China) and I want SPX. I NEED THEM.

Lady Ashenwyte

I just reread the first book. I'd like to read some more, but the cost of buying books in Singapore is too high.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Lord Ashenwyte on August 25, 2016, 11:55:23 PM
I just reread the first book. I'd like to read some more, but the cost of buying books in Singapore is too high.

Do you listen to audiobooks? Because at least the first five have been uploaded to Youtube.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jet the binturong on August 25, 2016, 11:51:12 PM
One of the raves was in the "Fangirl Slumber Party" thread. Ah, that'd be why. :P I've looked in that topic exactly thrice.

It annoys me that Skulduggery is endorsed by both Rick Riordan and Jonathan Stroud and yet it manages to remain unknown. I didn't know that. . . That is weird. o.O

I want the movie (and I will accept NO ONE but Katie McGrath to play China) and I want SPX. I NEED THEM.

Jetthebinturong

Having reread the first book, I'm falling even more in love with the series. AND THE SECOND BOOK IS AWESOME TOO WHY DID I EVER THINK IT WAS BAD?

I mean, I never thought it was bad, just not as good as the rest. BUT NO IT'S AWESOME.

Hickory

I suppose after finishing Joseph Campbell I'll try the first book. I can get in on what you and Corn talk about.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jet the binturong on September 06, 2016, 05:59:03 PM
Having reread the first book, I'm falling even more in love with the series. AND THE SECOND BOOK IS AWESOME TOO WHY DID I EVER THINK IT WAS BAD?

I mean, I never thought it was bad, just not as good as the rest. BUT NO IT'S AWESOME.

Yeah, the first book is the best. Also you're making me jealous. :P
Aaaaaand you might be pleased to know, Jet, that I have begged and pleaded for this series for Christmas. (Even in paperback, and I hate paperbacks)

Quote from: Sagetip on September 06, 2016, 06:16:27 PM
I suppose after finishing Joseph Campbell I'll try the first book. I can get in on what you and Corn talk about.

DO IT IT'LL BE ONE OF THE BEST LIFE CHOICES YOU'LL EVER MAKE!

Jetthebinturong

So I'm trying to come up with taken names for some of my characters. See if you can guess who these are:

Hubris Dóiteáin (Doh-chine)
Lambent Chip
Zealous Dissidence
Halcyon Verdance
Gambol Insouciant
Stygian Mar
Felix Chartreuse
Truculence Mirth
Libel Taciturn
Mentor Grim

All of them are BR characters. They are in a random order.

Jetthebinturong

Cornflower MM

No, still stuck on the Vile thing. I wanted time to wrap my head around it.

Jetthebinturong

So y'know how Vile killed Ghastly's mum? And Ghastly was about to be killed too? What do you think happened there?

Also be prepared for the introduction of another of the greatest characters next book. Dexter "please put your shirt back on" Vex.

Also. "She does not have a name, she is just cat."