News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Technical Support Thread!

Started by Luftwaffles, February 12, 2017, 11:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Hey @Jukka the Sling: I assume you are on Windows 8, right? This problem is common by the looks of things.

Most sources -including the official Microsoft Support- state that the problem can be solved by simply running a repair from the install disc... since we already established that you don't have access to this CD (nor the means to feed it to your PC), I would recommend you to try the following method:

IF you have a second working PC with Windows 8 installed on it, you can create an USB recovery tool from which you can solve the problem with ease.

Let me know how it went... and if we still haven't solved the problem, don't hesitate to ask again and we will look into it once more!

Best of luck.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

Actually, the laptop is Windows 10... but Amber actually has the exact same computer.  I guess the same process would work, right?  Would my files be deleted?

(Thank you so, so much for all your help. :))
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Luftwaffles

Windows 10? Very well, do the following:

Go to Amber's computer and do as it says here. It is a lengthy process and it might sound a little tricky at first, but do take your time and don't hesitate to ask if there's something that you don't understand. I'd be delighted to help :)

QuoteWould my files be deleted?

This ultimately depends on whether or not your PC has a recovery partition on it. The process should let you know about it.

Best of luck!

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

Thank you so much.  I've Googled this so many times but still was never sure what to do.  I'll let you know how it goes once I get a new USB drive. :)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Luftwaffles

You can use an existing USB stick for this, though -as long as you don't mind losing the files currently inside of it-. Even then, it might be wiser to buy a new one for the procedure... just make sure it has at least 4GB of space!

Keep us posted. I'm looking forward to see you become really active here again :)

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, I'm pretty anxious to have my own computer again.  The Kindle Fire with the cracked screen I've mostly been using isn't quite the same. XD

Luftwaffles

Steal Amber's PC.

You have written some pretty impressive posts under those conditions, though. I'm almost amazed :P

Jukka the Sling

Haha, I have borrowed hers or my mom's on several occasions (like I'm doing right now, for instance).  But yeah, I have posted a lot with my Kindle, including those huge pic dumps on Funny Pictures. :P

Rosie Willowwater

What do I do when my computer's ticking like a time bomb?

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on April 01, 2017, 11:43:26 PM

Please explain in greater detail. Where's the noise coming from for instance?

Groddil

Turn it off and back on again.

Craptop or Desktop?

Melanda MacBurl

That doesn't sound very good. :( Google says that it could be your hard drive. Please make sure your files are backed up, you don't want to lose all of that work!
~ Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself. ~

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: Sierra on April 01, 2017, 11:48:13 PM
Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on April 01, 2017, 11:43:26 PM

Please explain in greater detail. Where's the noise coming from for instance?

So, it went through an update and when it was finished a screen popped up (I couldn't see it because my dad was the one working on it) and then lots of beeping happened. I think my dad fixed/is fixing it now.

Quote from: Groddil on April 01, 2017, 11:48:40 PM
Turn it off and back on again.

Craptop or Desktop?

Laptop

Quote from: Melanda MacBurl on April 01, 2017, 11:50:28 PM
That doesn't sound very good. :( Google says that it could be your hard drive. Please make sure your files are backed up, you don't want to lose all of that work!

Okay, thanks guys! : )

Groddil

Hmm, if it's a craptop, try pulling out the battery and putting it back in again. That fixes a lot of issues.

On the other hand, I think Jukka also said how an update broke her craptop as well. Is this the latest update? What OS?