News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Origami

Started by Melanda MacBurl, April 02, 2017, 12:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanda MacBurl

I thought I'd ask whether anyone else is interested in this noble art. :)

I've thought it was fascinating ever since my daddy showed me a piece he brought home from a business trip, but my appreciation of it has grown and matured since I was little. This might sound a little deep, but I like how it shows that with a little bit of care and attention, you can make something beautiful out of something that everyone thinks is cheap and common. I think there's a lesson in there for all of us, that there's potential beyond what the eye might see in everything.

Anyway, here's some pretty pieces I found on Pinterest!
Spoiler

[close]
~ Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself. ~

Ashleg

I got this origami kit from my uncle once, it had guides to making origami reptiles and stuff (which I thought was cool, but it turned out to be a blunder because despite having lines where you should fold it I managed to screw everything up).

My mom made an origami cobra for me from the set though, it was neat.

Banya

Ooh Ashleg, that sounds cool
The images above are gorgeous too.
The only thing I can make is an origami rose. It was pretty difficult to figure out and took several hours, but I can make them now in about 10 minutes, and I needed a bunch of them for a paper bouquet for a cosplay accessory.

PICS

Character was Konan from Naruto.

[close]

Ashleg

It's pretty cool that you used that for cosplay. I've never seen that done before.

Banya

Thanks Ashleg. I hadn't seen it done before either, but I wanted to be as accurate as I could be with the character and I don't know what to do with my hands when I'm posing for photos

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

E'er zince ah learned 'ov tae make an Origami Frog in zchool ah 'ave enjoyed makin' zem. Vone o' me firzt triez ended up viz an Ant Eater vone, but ance ah gaet it ah 'ave been able tae quickly make zem. Ah 'ave a platic ztorage container viz innumerable Origami Frogz in it; e'er zince ah foinally learned 'ov tae make zem zillionz o' Origami Frogz began tae appear in our 'ouze. Ah 'ad created teamz o' zem, und vonez zad could be turned intae paper planez und zen back tae Frogz again. Tiz quoite fun!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

MatthiasMan

I used to do a lot of origami.  My favorite origami were plane, old, paper airplanes.  When I was a little kid I used to go see air shows and the Blue Angels were my favorite.  The first paper airplane one of my brothers showed me how to make was what he called the "Paper Airplane Blue Angel."  It didn't really look like one, but I liked the sound of it, and it flew well anyway. 

To this day, I still make those paper airplanes and have come to see paper airplanes as a kind of art form.

Banya

I love the Blue Angels! We had an Air Fair at our local airport every summer and they came for years. That's even where my parents started dating. But off topic~

That's a cool thing for your brother to do for you.

shisteer of nothing much

I appreciate Origami. I mostly make cranes and star box things, as well as basic paper planes. I've made other stuff but I never really got into them, though my older sisters are quite proficient. We were making a bow of a thousand cranes a few years ago. I think we got up to seven hundred and something before we all got sick of it and stopped, but I still make them whenever I happen to find a random piece of paper and have nothing else to do.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

One-Eye the wildcat

I can do a 5 fold yoda and a 10 fold darth vader.
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Captain Wortshire

When I was younger, I did origami ALL the time.
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

MeadowR

I was given a cats and dogs origami kit a few years ago and hope to attempt some soon! ;D My previous attempts at origami (a long time ago), guided by a Japanese lady, were not great... so could be some frustration on the way, too!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Captain Wortshire

I currently have an origami Mewtwo, Solgaleo and Lunala on my desk.
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

MeadowR

Photo? :D I assume the latter two are also Pokemon?
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014