News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Why High Rhulain is one of the BEST books in the series [EXTRAVAGANZA EXAMPLE]

Started by Captain Tammo, July 29, 2017, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Hi all! So recently I finished High Rhulain on audio through Audible. High Rhulain was the first Redwall book I ever finished, and that was about 10 years ago now. So after listening to it in audio form (completing the story for I think the 3rd time), I decided to take a look around on the forum and see what others thought of it. Many people who read the series in the order in which the series was published will have read High Rhulain as one of the last books. By this time, the "Redwall formula" sometimes shows itself (which is a spectacular formula in my opinion, and worth noting), so some reviews of this book were "meh" as a result. I wanted to put together a mini argument as to why I think High Rhulain deserves to be recognized as one of the best books in the series! Hope you like it! :)

High Rhulain story line

(This slide background taken from the art gallery of @NovaNocturne here)

(This slide background taken from the art gallery of @NovaNocturne here)

(This slide background taken from the art gallery of @Leatho Shellhound here)

[close]
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

NovaNocturne

I haven't read this book in a while but it has certainly made me want to re-read it!

Captain Tammo

Quote from: NovaNocturne on July 29, 2017, 10:45:40 PM
I haven't read this book in a while but it has certainly made me want to re-read it!

Woo! It's a good one!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

I found this book to be one of the least memorable in the series, though it was better than its three predecessors and some that came after it.
Tiria was bland, I forgot about Cuthbert Whatsisname until reading this and even now I can't tell you anything he did, and Leatho was...normal at best. He didn't have enough time to really shine, and the whole "girl does what others think she cannot do" thing has been run down so many times.

Pirtu/Riggu was interesting, I guess. I remember more about Pirtu and his brother's relationship with their mother than anything. And the scene where she lit the castle on fire was pretty epic. Other than that...
"Meh" is right.

MeadowR

I like how you presented your thoughts like a (good ol') Powerpoint presentation. Clear points to follow, and adds some colour and needed text breaks, a change from sometimes where it can be a bit much to read a big chunk of writing all in one go. :D

You've reminded me a few things about High Rhulain and I think I did find it a little different in parts, but I didn't feel it was as interesting as Doomwyte and some other later ones I was catching up with at the time.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

alexandre

Cuthbert Blandedale Frunk!

I'd forgotten about that legend, gonna have to reread it soon
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

MeadowR

Remind me, somebody, what makes Cuthbert one of the more interesting hares?
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

He was a nuthouse, had split personality disorder, bipolar, and he killed a sea monster.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 01, 2017, 08:06:31 PM
He was a nuthouse, had split personality disorder, bipolar, and he killed a sea monster.

His daughter was murdered by a crew of sea vermin, he then hunted down and slew the entire crew, a feat which -- if I recall correctly -- was only accomplished by one other creature in the Redwall series: a bloodwrath ridden badger.  After the battle, he developed the split personality disorder due to the wounds and trauma of losing his daughter. Later he helped in the fight on Green Isle, slaying Pitru first and finally the slothunog, before dying in Deeplough. He was a total bad***. I'd put him in the same category of awesomeness as Finbarr Galedeep, the  squirrel hare guy from Outcast, and Leatho Shellhound.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

MeadowR

Ahhh, okay. Surprised I didn't remember a lot of that. Thanks for the reminder! :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

KoudoawaiaVortex

As a cat lover, even though they are in the villains' role, I really love the amount of wildcats in this book and it was really neat that it was a whole family of them and seeing how they all interacted with each other even if it was in a rather dysfunctional way. XP

The Skarzs

True, but it seems like they were almost. . . Underutilized, and downgraded. Tsarmina was portrayed as extremely dangerous and imposing in Mossflower, and yet there, they died just as easily as any other underling in the books.

Of course, I think there was mention that most of them weren't true wildcats, and instead were just feral.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

KoudoawaiaVortex

Have to admit my memory of the book is a little fuzzy again so I can't remember how they died. Most of my Redwall books are still back at our old house which is rather far away. Will need to read it again once I'm reunited with the rest of my books^^

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 30, 2017, 10:39:25 PM
I like how you presented your thoughts like a (good ol') Powerpoint presentation. Clear points to follow, and adds some colour and needed text breaks, a change from sometimes where it can be a bit much to read a big chunk of writing all in one go. :D

You've reminded me a few things about High Rhulain and I think I did find it a little different in parts, but I didn't feel it was as interesting as Doomwyte and some other later ones I was catching up with at the time.

lol, thank you! I've got to re-read Doomwyte again. It's been several years since I read that one!