The AbbeyCraft Minecraft Server is open...now what?

Started by cryptopur, January 16, 2014, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psybox

I'm sort of a member, in the way that logging into the server twice and walking around with minimum social interaction for a few minutes before logging off again makes you a member. 

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Rusvul

I'm willing to help you moderate, if you'll have me. I'm a decent terraformer, but not by any means the best, and I don't know how good I'll be with WorldEdit (I assume) trying to replicate a map. I'm also a fairly good builder, although sometimes I run out of patience for building very large things. I also really enjoy RP'ing, and I feel that I could help keep the server feeling redwall-y.

Norham Waterpaw

I'd love to join this. I'm good at smaller buildings (I could do village constructions, maybe?) and I must say, I can roleplay, but I've never really roleplayed in Minecraft. I haven't used world-edit, so that is somewhat of a downer ( Though I do learn quickly.)

I would be more than happy to help.
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

cryptopur

First I just want to say that I LOVE that video SaberTruth! It's just awesome and better work then we could have done ourselves. (or have done ourselves). It really makes the Abbey look beautiful!

BTW - have you seen the locations for Gingervere's Farm and St. Ninians? They aren't nearly as impressive in scale but I wanted to make sure you knew they were there.

Something to note for several of you - WorldEdit is a very powerful tool and frankly prone to crash the server as you can easily wind up changing millions of blocks in one swoop and that takes the whole thing down. As a result we give that permission to almost nobody. So to be candid, we're unlikely to give that permission even to moderators except in special cases.

Which brings up another question that I'd like put out there. Generally moderators have the power to be in creative mode which gives them access to the entire slate of blocks, including things that don't belong in this world like blocks of diamond or creeper heads. The place that shows up most is when folks have an infinite supply of stone and wood and the result is unnaturally rapid building that nobody really worked for - they just fly around and place whatever blocks they want. It can make for some really cool structures but it also tends to make epic buildings less meaningful because players don't really earn.

I'm inclined to keep the server mostly in survival mode and ask that people actually build things the old fashioned way. If the vibe of Redwall is something medieval with wilderness as opposed to urban sprawl, I think throttling resources is the only realistic way to do that.

Norham Waterpaw

True, very true. I'm glad you said that!  :D Sometimes it can be a little odd when A massive fortress springs up, and everywhere around it looks untouched.

EDIT: Well, I got on. I found the village right outside the gates,  :D and I got shown around by a nice fellow named Shdowntr. I found a cave lit only by redstone torches in the side of the Abbey.
I eventually wandered off, soon figuring out how big of a map you guys actually made.
So yeah, it was fun. I plan to be on again soon.
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Captain Tammo

I'd like to join, if it's alright!
I would consider my experience with Minecraft above average. I can build, terraform, I was a member on Gears' server (may it rest in peace), I know you said you aren't too crazy about world edit but I have experience using it, I can use redstone, I have made large-scale builds before in survival and very big builds in creative. I'm really into this idea of building in survival to make places more special and worthwhile!

I would be more than happy to help build a village or a location true to the books as well as help moderate if needed. As far as how active I can be, it tends to fluctuate. Some weeks I will be on more than regularly, other weeks I may not get a chance (simply senior year of high school stuff that pops up: Applying for a scholarship, studying for a test, sports, and so on). However for the most part, I will be able to play an active role.

My account name is Axlejr2196

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out!

EDIT: Also, I just watched that video SaberTruth posted and WOW! you guys did great on the abbey, congrats!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

cryptopur

Thanks CaptainTammo. :)
We had a lot of fun building that and what's even cooler is that we'll be able to use that build immediately in The Warrior Reborn...well...more or less. We'll need to create new assets but the work of figuring out where everything goes has been done now.

cryptopur

Folks - we want to pass along a formal 'welcome aboard' to SaberTruth as the newest deputized Sheriff  on the AbbeyCraft server. (AKA moderator)

We're considering other applications as well, so if you've expressed interest we may be coming back to you with some basic questions as part of an informal application process. So stand fast and we'll get to all applicants in the order they were received...more or less.

Again - welcome to SaberTruth!

Huzzah! 

VedCassib

Captain Tammo

Quote from: cryptopur on February 11, 2014, 06:41:20 PM
Folks - we want to pass along a formal 'welcome aboard' to SaberTruth as the newest deputized Sheriff  on the AbbeyCraft server. (AKA moderator)

We're considering other applications as well, so if you've expressed interest we may be coming back to you with some basic questions as part of an informal application process. So stand fast and we'll get to all applicants in the order they were received...more or less.

Again - welcome to SaberTruth!

Huzzah! 

Way to go SaberTruth!!!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

SaberTruth

Thank you guys, I am looking forward to helping out on the server!

Captain Tammo

I want to take on a more active role in the server. So I have some ideas I wanted to run by the heads of the server.

1. I want to try to charter some land and set up a village. Though I have no exact spot set up, I checked out the North and I thought it would be a cool idea to set up a village (exactly 8,000 blocks directly North of Redwall, which took me multiple minecraft days of sprint-jumping) as something like "The first village after crossing the Northern mountains" or the like. I was thinking that since it would be right where the mountains end, it could be a great waypoint after the long journey over the mountains

2. Alternatively, I was wondering if I could set up a single shop around that same area or become a traveling salesbeast!

3. I want to volunteer to help set up some locations from the books and get people excited about RPing!

4. Cartography! I can help with filling in the super sized map in front of redwall, but I'd need some supplies. Also, would the cartographer have to do it all in survival mode?

Some friendly thoughts/questions :)

-Something I learned on Gears' server is that if you let people do non-canon structures, they have potential to get out of hand VERY QUICKLY if they aren't monitored. This causes the actual canon structures take much, much longer to build. This isn't to discourage any settings you already have, but a friendly suggestion is to make everyone have to charter some specific sets of land every time we want to build anything non-canon, including our own houses. I say this because even though the map is enormous, things can fill up pretty fast around the area near redwall!

-I saw how the lodge to TP to certain areas was directly next to redwall. Why not have it in the gatehouse so that people use the abbey more?

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Mister Cheese

I got some really awesome screenshots of Redwall with the shader mod!

I'd also like to say the server is really cool! :)