Commentary on the Book Rakkety Tam

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelinghades

Quote from: Ashleg on November 09, 2017, 01:16:54 PM
His name was Doogy.

Yeah, Wild Doogy Plumm, that was his name.

Another thing I just recalled about Raketty Tam was that Gulo and his lot are called 'cannibals' even though they don't actually eat any foxes, ermines or wolverines in the book; to me it's interesting that the woodlanders were actually using the term cannibal to refer to that lot even though technically they're not cannibals.

Ashleg

Cannobalism in Redwall pretty much refers to eating another walking, talking, two-legged mammal that wears clothes. Like Goofy eating Mickey Mouse, as even though Goofy and Pluto are both dogs it would be more like cannibalism if he ate Mickey. They are both basically people.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Nadaz, voice of the host on November 08, 2017, 10:43:34 PM
There are 6 more stanzas to the song 3 for each book in Rakty Tam

Yeah I really liked that! I felt like it made the book feel more complete in the end - it was really well done.

Quote from: Ashleg on November 09, 2017, 11:33:38 PM
Cannobalism in Redwall pretty much refers to eating another walking, talking, two-legged mammal that wears clothes. Like Goofy eating Mickey Mouse, as even though Goofy and Pluto are both dogs it would be more like cannibalism if he ate Mickey. They are both basically people.

Well put, Ash!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

sunflashtheace

The book is amazing no problems in it I ove it and have read it over and over again

Tungro

I am really surprised there is no discussion for this already...

So I noticed that a scene was reused. In the beginning Abbot Humble goes up to the wallop and gives Skipper(?) a bowl of oatmeal. Skipper remarks that it tastes good but different, the Abbot said the Friar put nutmeg in it and knew he wouldn't be able to guess. I remember a similar situation in one of the other books where a friar put nutmeg in an otters hotroot soup and the same interaction occurred. Just some random thing I noticed...

The Grey Coincidence

Any prolific author invariably 'rhymes' with themself. When you write so much you end up invariably using the same tried and tested tropes (sometimes becoming over-dependent on them)
That's just one interpretation though.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Tungro

True, I was just surprised it was so close, like almost word for word...

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Tungro on March 29, 2019, 05:38:52 PM
I am really surprised there is no discussion for this already...

There is. http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=9487.0
It was halfway down the next page...  Pockets (Wylder Treejumper) made a discussion topic for each book a while ago.

Also, *Rakkety.

Tungro

I knew the search results where to good to be true  :P

The Skarzs

Ratchety Spam

That is interesting. I never noticed that, or just thought it was Deja Vu. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

Mommui

I don't see alot of people talking about Yoofus Lightpaw and his wife. Honestly, I liked his wife more than I liked him. They were a likable pair together, and the fact they have the walking stone is a nice simple reveal! Also the whole scene where Yoofus, his wife, and Doogy (I believe) going through the forest with Rockbottom.

Cornflower MM

Welcome to the seventeeth book in our series readalong event: Rakkety Tam!

For those who have not already seen, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing:

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection, though, if you can afford it!
  • If you want even more Redwall discussion, please check out the Recorder on the Wall podcast episodes for the book! Every three weeks we will be posting the relevant episodes, so please check them out. Here are the episodes for Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Rakkety Tam!
  • If you have created any writing, art, voice acting, or any other form of media based on this book and/or its characters, send a link (or image if it is art) to me through PMs and I will share it in this post! Seeing how other people portray the story through their own work is a wonderful way to be drawn deeper into the story and wider Redwall community.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
  • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
  • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
  • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
  • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
  • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

Scott McLamok

Quote from: Scott McLamok on October 07, 2017, 07:06:45 AM
I love the song and rakkety tam is one of my favourites of all time
Yo, I posted here?
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Flib Bigboat

There were two threads for discussing Rakkety Tam, and the mods decided to merge them.
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!