Tammo's Topic (discussion, questions, and reviews of your fanfic!)

Started by Captain Tammo, October 27, 2015, 02:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

;^; You would do this. . . ?

I really should write another poem. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

After the Crimson Badger: Book I, could you do a review of the Outlander by SandyB?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Captain Tammo

Here is the fanfiction I want to put in the "Fanfiction Spotlight" this week!

Jackie's Story (Maximum Ride fan fiction) by Eulaliaaa!

Rating: :D  (would recommend)

What I Liked:
I have never read the Maximum Ride series before, but I think I'd like to start after reading this fan fiction! I feel that there are not many stories on the forum that do a good job with first person narrative (a character tells the story, referring to themself as "I"), but Eulaliaaa! has done a very nice job in making it work.

The plot as a whole progresses at a pace that I felt was right in the sweet spot: not to fast, nor too slow. Additionally, I found the plot to be very interesting! Nobody was overpowered and no scene seemed to build towards something anticlimactic. Great job all around!

What I Thought Could be Even Better
While Eulaliaaa! does a great job in keeping the reader involved with the story, I could not help but notice a couple of plot holes in the story. Reading the comments, it appeared that I was not the only one, either. Thankfully, no plot hole appeared to really take away from the story's flow, and it usually just opened things up for discussion.

Final Thoughts
A fun, relatively professional forum story! I would recommend this one to anybody who wants a break from the regular Redwall fan fiction, as well as anyone who wants to see how to write in first person. Well done, Eulaliaaa!

You can check this story out here in the Secret Hideouts section of the forum.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Eulaliaaa!

Wow, thank you for that  ;D I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read and review my story, it means a lot to me.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Captain Tammo

Apologies for not getting a review out this week! I'm in the middle of midterms at college, so I ask that you give me a couple of days to finish up with those. While I'm gone, I'd like to do a little survey:

yes or no: would you be okay with a reboot of the "favorite fan fiction" thread? If you'd like to elaborate on your thoughts, feel free!

See you guys in a couple of days!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

cairn destop

May I suggest a board or post that has a list / link to the material you review?  It might encourage comments.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: cairn destop on November 22, 2015, 03:50:07 AM
May I suggest a board or post that has a list / link to the material you review?  It might encourage comments.

Are you referring to what I have in the first post of this topic or something new?

Captain Tammo

Here is the topic I want to put in the "Fanfiction Spotlight" this week!

Funny Rhymes from Redwall (told by the Illustrious Skarzs Esquire)

Rating: :)  (a solid collection of works)

What I Liked:
A series of fun (and sometimes sad) poems, which are all worth reading through. The rhymes are usually short, and all of them are different so you don't have to worry about getting tired out while reading them. A solid work, Skarzs!

What I Thought Could be Even Better
There is always room for improvement. I think a little extra time spent putting your all into each of these could have brought them up a notch, but I know that infinite time is not something we all have to work on that stuff. Sometimes something as small as a single word or restructuring a line can make all the difference in the end!

Final Thoughts
An all-around solid work that is constantly growing and easy to catch up on. You would not feel disappointed if you went and read a few!

You can check Skarzs' thread out Here. Tell him this review sparked your interest ;)

The Skarzs

Thanks for the review, Tammo! I want to do another poem soon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

New Year, New Goals!

What are some of your New Year Resolutions? Whether it be Forum related or not! Here are a few forum-related things I am personally looking to see happen this year:

• Help grow the fan works boards as a whole into something that plays more of a key role on the forum
  • Collaborate with new writers!
  • Write a new fanfiction (already have a good outline drawn up, now I just have to take action)!
  • Earlier this past Christmas season, the fanfiction series I wrote (The Origins of Simon, The Life of Simon, The Plague) was sent to a very special (unnamed) group of people. I'd love to get some kind of response!

What are your goals for the new year?

Captain Tammo

Hey everyone,

There's an ENORMOUS forum-wide event coming soon. And one of the events on the list of activities is a fanfiction contest. Rules have yet to be set in stone but I'm hoping both existing and new entries will be accepted as submissions here. I for one will be writing something brand new for the contest! Although I have not yet narrowed down my choices to one prompt in particular. So thinking about that, I thought I'd get word out that something BIG was coming.

Here are some prompts I was thinking of working off of for an entry (feel free to take any for yourselves if you'd like, or let me know if you have a prompt you want to share)!

• The story of a long patrol hare, the least qualified one for the job but with a passion for the jolly ole patrol like none other, being tasked with an impossible mission and, through their clumsiness, they succeed in their mission
  • The story of the very first Logalog. How did he or she form the GOUSIM and what did the rise to power look like?
  • A member of a traveling troupe gets blackmailed or kidnapped and the only way to free them is through a deal with some baddies, where the troupe must do some kind of grand heist
  • The Queen of the Western Sea, a mouse named Captain Crash, is dead! She leaves her title, and a map to her treasure hideaway, to the winner of the great sea race! Searats, pirates, privateers and villagers all set their differences aside and line up across the shore of the bay, their ships waiting for them to board and take off.  The race is about to begin! It will be long and dangerous, and some crews very well may be lost. The atmosphere is tense, then the late Queen's official signals the start of the race. Who will win and claim it all?!
  • The badger lord of salamandastron is in a fine predicament. A tribe of river otters are on the brink of civil war, but they will not let him intervene, even if it means the countryside near and far will be affected. His last hope, the badger lord sends an ambassador from his mountain to deal with the matter. They'll have to diffuse the situation, with all the otters complex traditions and rules, before things turn dire!
  • Give a historian's narrative of what would have happened if Redwall was never built. What events unfolded as a result?
  • A single rat's story of how he or she went from no followers to an army of hundreds using only their wits and cunning (and a bit of battle, as well)
  • A few naughty dibbuns go treasure hunting! What do they find?
  • A group of travelers try to challenge the highest mountain in the North and hike to its summit to plant a flag at its top. Though things are easier said than done. In addition to the bad weather and dangerous fissures in the ground, mountain birds are about. And mountain birds have a tendency to be extremely aggressive...

There you have it. More info on the contest will be coming soon! :)

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Ah, fantastic! I can't wait to see what this event is. I look forward to participating in it!

(I'd best put my writer's cap on again *sigh*)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg