News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerbilkit

When Salamandastron was first introduced in Mossflower it was very mysterious and many secrets were implied. As it became an accepted, common, and even formulaic part of redwall tales it seemed to become less mysterious and more taken for granted that badgers and hares would always be in Salamandastron.
"Sometimes a dagger can reach further than a sword, remember that stoat." - Luke the Warrior

Storm

I wonder how so few hares remained in Salamandastron during Mossflower. All other times there were quite a few. Also, will someone please tell me how to say Salamandastron! The one time I played redwall I was laughed at pronouncing it Salamanderstrom.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Matthias720

It's pronounced similar to salamander except you drop the (er) at the end and replace it with -astron (pronounced how it looks). :)

Osu

Yes, like Matthias says. Sala-mand-AST-rawn.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I liked Dinny's pronounciation. "Salad-mand-alon." in his spot-created verse
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 11, 2011, 04:56:49 PM
I liked Dinny's pronounciation. "Salad-mand-alon." in his spot-created verse
Actually, it's "salad-anna-sconn" if you're talking about that marching song part in Mossflower. Sorry 'bout that!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I think Dinny continued with that verse throughout the trek to Salamandastron, and might have pronounced it differently. *shrug* Not sure.

But that brings up one of the greatest mysteries ever of the mountain. The quest of Martin & Co. Badgerlords had dreamed and drawn about them for generations, predicting the coming of a relatively small, but obviously noble and powerful, warrior. Lord Brocktree, Boar the Fighter, Sunstripe the Mace, all saw the drawing done by some ancient badgerlord.

Which brings up something else. Brocktree's tomb. It's pictured in many books, I can't name them all. It decays pretty heavily by the later books. His armor never dulled though.
I love the mountain's secret passages, countless practically in number and scope. So much legends in them, too. Secret walls, ancient treasure, countless fallen and passed badger rulers lying, I'd imagine, in their final resting places.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Osu

Yes, yes! I'm absolutely positive there are secret passages and places whose locations were lost - or just never found - to later generations. Especially below the surface - recall Stonepaw's party and what little they knew of their whereabouts when fleeing the blue horde, but as an old rhyme saved them, earlier hares must have known about it. Assuming the rhyme was thought up before they began recording history with the written word, I wonder what other secrets the hares may know about without really knowing...

Hey, that paragraph made no sense. In short, Osu could write entire novels on Salamandastron and never tire of it. XD

ilovemariel

salamadastron is volcnao that does not do the lava stuff anymore, hares of the long patrol live in it with the badger lords.
:-\sorry if i am wrong. I have only read up to outcast of redwall so I do not know much about salamandastron. :-\
Old stories told by travellers, Great songs that bards have sung, Of Mossflower summers, faded, gone, When Redwall's stones were young. Great Hall fires on winter nights,
The legends, who remembers,Battles, banquets, comrades, quests,Recalled midst glowing embers.Draw close now, little woodlander

Osu

Yep, that's correct, ilovemariel. Salamandastron is a big, extinct volcano.

So there MUST be a ton of hidden nooks and crannies and-- and-- I wonder how far down it goes?

ilovemariel

I bet I could get lost and never find my way out!  :-\
Old stories told by travellers, Great songs that bards have sung, Of Mossflower summers, faded, gone, When Redwall's stones were young. Great Hall fires on winter nights,
The legends, who remembers,Battles, banquets, comrades, quests,Recalled midst glowing embers.Draw close now, little woodlander

Captain Tammo

I'd love to be a long patrol hare!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 18, 2011, 05:43:47 PM
I'd love to be a long patrol hare!

I am a Long Patrol hare. 8) Lol ;)!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Log-a-Log

I think the echoing chamber mentioned in Mossflower is cool
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 18, 2011, 07:30:41 PM
I think the echoing chamber mentioned in Mossflower is cool
And it's never mentioned anywhere else, as far as I know. Same for that dragon head... I wonder what became of them? The dragon thing could have been lost or destroyed, but the echoing chamber must have played some role throughout Salamandastron's history?