News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Graves.

Started by Matthias Martin, December 18, 2011, 12:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on November 07, 2017, 06:50:03 PM
Well, with the cellars, and the tunnels from Doomwyte, and the remains of Castle Kotir, I doubt there is enough room for any catacombs. As a matter of fact, there is enough underground that I am surprised Redwall is structurally sound- it must have had an incredible amount of foundation work done. Moles do know their trade, though.

I think it's more likely that beasts which die in Redwall are buried out in the forest, or in a miscellaneous natural setting, than in a grave. Redwallers have a much more naturalistic lifestyle, so I think the idea of "returning them to nature" is reasonable for the setting (and I think it happens several times throughout the series). This would explain why Redwall has no graveyard.

I think I mentioned this in another thread regarding graves, but the problem I have with the idea that Redwallers are buried in the forest or in a miscellaneous place is that every Redwaller that I can think of who died on Abbey grounds and whose burial/grave site was revealed had been buried within Abbey grounds. Redwallers who died outside of the Abbey were buried in misc. places close to their place of death- but this is probably due to the difficulties of transporting a dead body absent pack animals or vehicles or refrigeration...