What do redwallers wear in the winter to keep warm?

Started by Edraithel, May 07, 2014, 06:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edraithel

It's a bummer that they don't wear fur cause it looks so cool. Well some vermin where fur/hides of their enemies.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Albrithr

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't there some instance where a character is mentioned as shedding their winter coat?  If my memory serves, it was either a hare or a vermin- perhaps one of the wolverines?

Edraithel

Well the hares in Lord Brocktree have patchcoats because their shedding and changing the color of their coats.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

The Skarzs

Quote from: Albrithr on June 09, 2014, 04:15:36 AM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't there some instance where a character is mentioned as shedding their winter coat?  If my memory serves, it was either a hare or a vermin- perhaps one of the wolverines?

Well, besides the hares, I do remember some from Rakkety Tam. I'm pretty sure the white-furred vermin are really just regular vermin with winter coats.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Romsca

The foxes were actual arctic foxes (whose fur does change to a brownish color in the summer) not red foxes. However, the ermine were just stoats in their winter fur. Too bad there weren't any lemmings

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Izeroth

Animals have fur, as others have said, so I assume any sort of clothes they wear are merely for decoration. Also, woodlanders don't wear fur cloaks because you have to kill animals to get fur and woodlanders don't do that. Woodlanders would probably think of fur cloaks as barbaric and cruel...

SilentSam

;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Izeroth

I assume that any sort of clothes were purely for decoration. The moles and the mice might've needed something to keep warm, but most animals would not have a problem surviving the cold. (That is, of course, assuming that the animals in Redwall are like animals on Earth)

Lutra

You know I'm tired when I almost answer "fur" to the question, and then sit back and realize the answer could potentially be "they wear nothing" as they are already covered in fur and supposedly are plenty warm.   They'll just be like Winifred and walk in the nude. ;)

Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

The Skarzs

Now I can't stop staring; thanks a lot, Lutra. ::) ;D Actually, I'm more curious as to how her right foot got into that position. . . :P Looks painful. (Need some ice, Winifred?) :P

As to the topic, I feel the question "Do they need to keep warm" should be answered before "What do they wear?". I feel like some creatures might need to stay warm, or some don't actually need to stay warm like others.
Also, clothes might not be only meant for warmth or protection, but might also serve as a means of chastity, assuming they are tempted as humans are. ( :P )
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

I think more compact and thicker snuggies, because thats what they wear normally (Please see what do redwallers where to get this)
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

LT Sandpaw

Most animals shed so I don't see why they couldn't have fur coats.

All they would have to do is collect the fur off the floor or something.

As for keeping warm that shouldn't be too much of a problem, probably cotton or something.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Izeroth

Yes, but the fur that the animals shed couldn't be made into a coat. It would just fall apart. (Unless they have sheep in the Redwall world, but I highly doubt that)

Søren

Probably anything they had was made from plants, like cotton. Though I don't think they had cotton in Europe before to discovery of the Americas.

I'm retired from the forum