News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who wants redwall books by another author

Started by daskar666, June 28, 2011, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daskar666

Osu

I would saaaaay absolutely not on this one. Redwall has always been Brian's series. It simply wouldn't be the same if it wasn't written by the original author. I'd think of it like stealing, almost... or as glorified fanfiction.

An author other than BJ would turn it in to something that isn't Redwall. :(
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

I'm not completely against it, but they'd have to be pretty darned good to be accepted by the fans. I'd see it as more of a homage to Brian Jacques rather than a continuation of the series. Like you said, Osu, glorified fanfiction. They wouldn't be real   Redwall books, you know?

Captain Tammo

Maybe a fan made one, but it's hard to imagine redwall without Brian. It'd be like halloween without the candy and costumes.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 29, 2011, 03:40:47 AM
Maybe a fan made one, but it's hard to imagine redwall without Brian. It'd be like halloween without the candy and costumes.

With people instead wearing normal clothes and giving out cabbages and carrots.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

martins#1fan

I'm all for it, I mean for one, It would be great if the books are kept on being written.
Secondly, well I know it wouldn't be the same, however it would add a little seasoning to the books.
Brian I think in most cases, put enough fighting in the books but also enough food and general talk in it too.
But it would be nice if there was a little bit more added to the mix. For instance, making wars longer then just one book. ( Hence Mossflower. ) Maybe two books, or three about one animal. Also, it would be nice with a little more action and fighting in the books.
                                                               These are my thoughts.
                                                                                   Martin's#1fan
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

James Gryphon

I'm perfectly fine with Redwall fan fiction, and I think in some cases it might be possible to do an even better job than the original -- but that it still might not quite be "real" Redwall.

Marketing someone else's work as the genuine article, or even with a "Not written by Brian Jacques/Inspired by the Redwall series", and actually selling it seems wrong to me, like an attempt to make money off of someone else's property. I would only maybe be okay with it if it was written by one of Mr. Jacques' children (and that seems unlikely to ever happen, since neither of them are professional writers).
« Subject to editing »

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

If somebody finds a News article or a thing like that that mentions someone doing this, tell us about it so we can go burn the manuscript.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Osu

Quote from: James Gryphon on June 29, 2011, 04:54:58 PMI would only maybe be okay with it if it was written by one of Mr. Jacques' children (and that seems unlikely to ever happen, since neither of them are professional writers).
Yes, I'll go ahead and throw my lot in with this sentiment, as well.

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 29, 2011, 04:59:33 PM
If somebody finds a News article or a thing like that that mentions someone doing this, tell us about it so we can go burn the manuscript.
LOL!

daskar666

Isn't one of the complaints about redwall is that it's all the same over and over again?
So yes it would be different, but different=\=bad, particularly in this case.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: daskar666 on June 29, 2011, 06:01:14 PM
Isn't one of the complaints about redwall is that it's all the same over and over again?

And yet people still enjoy it...

Osu

Quote from: daskar666 on June 29, 2011, 06:01:14 PM
I would put forth the argument that this is one of the reasons Redwall is so popular in the first place. It certainly doesn't bother me. ;)

daskar666

Personally tho I do find it a bit annoying.
For example you never get good rats (except blaggut and grubbage) or evil hares.
Redwall is never taken over.
Each book is very loosely connected to other books.
There are hardly any romantic relationships between characters.
I could go on.

Osu

Quote from: daskar666 on June 29, 2011, 06:44:48 PM
Personally tho I do find it a bit annoying.
For example you never get good rats (except blaggut and grubbage) or evil hares.
Redwall is never taken over.
Each book is very loosely connected to other books.
There are hardly any romantic relationships between characters.
I could go on.
These are things unique and very much an important part of the series itself. Changing these things would, as mentioned before, make it into something other than Redwall.

I do want to say that the rat/hare thing is, in my opinion, a good way to personify good vs. evil. Rats and weasels don't have a good reputation IRL, and a mouse as a hero personifies the smallest or weakest or youngest of people being able to do great things. It's not a bad thing at all. ;D

daskar666