News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who wants redwall books by another author

Started by daskar666, June 28, 2011, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daskar666

The problem with fanfiction is that usually it doesn't motivate the authors to write a book-length story that is of the same quality as the books.
If more people were motivated to do that I would be happy with that but most of them are just 9-10 chapters long and don't tell much of a story.

Wot Wot!

Wow, definitely getting some passionate responses here, wot!

It is terribly sad that Brian is gone, and I think continuing the series had the best of intentions behind it.  We want more of his world, and we realize that he probably had dozens more in mind for the Redwall world.

I take myself back to a book signing Brian did in Austin TX (I wasn't there, but have watched it several times on youtube), in which Jacques talked about his books as if they were his kids (someone had asked him "what is YOUR favorite Redwall book?"), and that they all meant very much to him.

I highly respect Brian, and if the series continued, wouldn't it be a bit like ruining that family he created?  Just a thought.  I would love the fan fiction to continue, which certainly pays homage to the series without BECOMING the series (important distinction).  But BJ, for however formulaic his books were, had his own inimitable writing style and heart which went into each book.

I'll remind everyone, however, the Tolkien is gone too, yet they still made a huge top level effects, true to the story movie, right?  But that's a conversation for a different thread. :-)
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Wot Wot! on July 01, 2011, 07:16:05 PM

I take myself back to a book signing Brian did in Austin TX (I wasn't there, but have watched it several times on youtube), in which Jacques talked about his books as if they were his kids (someone had asked him "what is YOUR favorite Redwall book?"), and that they all meant very much to him.

I highly respect Brian, and if the series continued, wouldn't it be a bit like ruining that family he created?  Just a thought.  I would love the fan fiction to continue, which certainly pays homage to the series without BECOMING the series (important distinction).  But BJ, for however formulaic his books were, had his own inimitable writing style and heart which went into each book.
This post just sums up my position perfectly.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Galedeep

It is terribly sad that Brian is gone, and I think continuing the series had the best of intentions behind it.  We want more of his world, and we realize that he probably had dozens more in mind for the Redwall world.

I highly respect Brian, and if the series continued, wouldn't it be a bit like ruining that family he created?  Just a thought.  I would love the fan fiction to continue, which certainly pays homage to the series without BECOMING the series (important distinction).  But BJ, for however formulaic his books were, had his own inimitable writing style and heart which went into each book.

I'll remind everyone, however, the Tolkien is gone too, yet they still made a huge top level effects, true to the story movie, right?  But that's a conversation for a different thread. :-)
I must say, well said sir wot wot!

Wot Wot!

daskar666

You're making the same assumption that everyone else is making. Variation=/=bad.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Daskar, you also appear to keep making the assumption that variation is good.

QuoteA fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

daskar666

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 02, 2011, 05:30:03 PM
Daskar, you also appear to keep making the assumption that variation is good.

QuoteA fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Where? I'm simply pointing out ways in which variation is good. I'm not saying it is good in 100% of cases, just that it's possible for it to be good.

Wot Wot!

You're making the same assumption that everyone else is making. Variation=/=bad.

You're assuming the assumption, Daskar...

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I'm sorry but I believe that this topic is getting too serious. Therefore, I believe, we need some randomness to lift the mood some.

Weasels!

And now back to the topic..

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Galedeep

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 02, 2011, 10:42:57 PM
I'm sorry but I believe that this topic is getting too serious. Therefore, I believe, we need some randomness to lift the mood some.

Weasels!

Haha! I believe at least my mood has been lightened.

Osu

Weasels!

;D ;D ;D Well done, O Master of the Weasels! And yes, back to the topic.... ahem.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Matthias720

I would like to see Redwall remain at 22 books. It's a good number, and I think it has enough content to fuel discussions here for the next 10 years.

I would not, however, be opposed to someone else continuing the Castaways series.

daskar666

Post removed.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Osu on July 03, 2011, 03:37:03 AM

Weasels!

;D ;D ;D Well done, O Master of the Weasels! And yes, back to the topic.... ahem.

I'm not the Master of the Weasels, their the Masters of the world. (I'd say how many worlds that they were the Masters of, but I'd prefer to not get any threats from certain creatures about giving away secrets to their conquest of...well.....never mind!  ;D