News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Hummingbirds

Started by Rusvul, May 10, 2013, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusvul

They're quite incredible creatures, really. Did you know that every night they hibernate, and every day they need to eat every fifteen minutes? They can starve to death in a matter of hours. Their wings beat incredibly fast, they can hover, fly upside-down, backwards, heck, even hover upside-down and backwards. Their heartbeat is the highest of any creature when they hover. Their feathers aren't colored, they have thousands of minute air bubbles trapped in them, which refract and recombine the light, to make their feathers incredibly irredescent and beautiful. They also viciously defend their patch of flowers, if it is taken from them, they are effectively dead. I was thinking of making a Redwall hummingbird character, who would have razor sharp needles on his wingtips as his weapons. What do you think?

Ungatt Trunn

That would be pretty cool.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

CrazyPug37

I think a recall reading about a Redwall hummingbird somewhere, but I don't know.  They are indeed very interesting creatures, and they come into my backyard often.  I enjoy seeing their little wings buzzing around.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

The smallest hummingbird is the Bee Hummingbird at only 5cm (also the smallest of any bird species and the smallest backboned-animal in the world).

The largest hummingbird is the Giant Hummingbird which is 22 centimeters (and has tail streamers up to 35 centimeters).

Hummingbird Facts & Information

WoodlandWarrior

During the spring, if you get a soda bottle, cut a few holes in it and tie it from a tree, then fill it with sugar water, you'll attract hummingbirds.

Or you could by a hummingbird feeder and the bottled sugar water...but that'll cost ya!
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

They'd have a LONG journey and need good noses to be attracted all the way to New Zealand by some suger water.  ;) There aren't any hummingbirds here, except perhaps in zoo aviaries.

Kitsune

Aw, really?  I couldn't imagine not seeing them every year. I love watching them. Our neighbors used to have a hummingbird feeder.

Buzz_Bumble

From what I remember, humming birds only live in America (North and South).

WoodlandWarrior

Yea, I guess they wouldn't make that trip then for a bottle of sugar water. :)  New Zealand huh?   I've hear it is quite beautiful over there!
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Redwaller

I haven't seen any hummingbirds around here.

And(don't want to put you down) but the species of Redwall were those originative of the UK.

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on May 13, 2013, 05:16:05 PM
New Zealand huh?   I've hear it is quite beautiful over there!

No different to most other places - mountains, lakes, seas, beaches, forests, etc. The same as parts of Europe, America, and Asia. No point in people travelling thousands of miles to the bottom of the planet (paying greedy over-priced costs) just to see another one when they've already got them in your own backyard.  :)

The scenery might be "beautiful", but the Government is run by morons, the public transport is hopeless, the prices are hideously expensive, the schooling and hospital systems are attrocious, ...  as I said, pretty much the same as most other places.  ;)

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 13, 2013, 05:06:12 AM
From what I remember, humming birds only live in America (North and South).
In that case, it would be very unlikely that BJ would include them in his stories :( In an interview I saw, he was asked if he would sometime include Racoons in the Redwall series, he (BJ) said: "Nope. Sorry, but I only use characters native to my area"; that area is The United Kingdom. So it would be very unlikely to have them in his strories about Redwall. But that dosn't really matter here. Just saying :-\

Rusvul

There are exceptions for Wolverines (I think), Monitors (Definitely), and I think a few others. And, I was talking more in a fanfic setting, it is extremely unlikely that BJ would have used them XP. It'd make sense if they came from Southsward.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 13, 2013, 10:34:44 PM
There are exceptions for Wolverines (I think).
Yep, it dwells in The United Kingdom also.
Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 13, 2013, 10:34:44 PM
Monitors (Definitely).
Probubly because he needes some species that was...different from the normal villun.