News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Corny's Non-Redwall Stories.

Started by Cornflower MM, March 29, 2015, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

I just read the Percy Jackson/Harry Potter crossover and enjoyed it. Nice work, Corny :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Cornflower MM

Cornflower MM

*Bumps*

Hey guys, I wrote this one shot yesterday. It's Artemis Fowl. Not Twilight. ::) Also, it might get another chapter or two. :-\ Not sure.

Dreams Bring Us Closer

A/N: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I finally get the inspiration to write, and this is what I come up with. JUST TO CLARIFY: this is not a Holly/Root romantic pairing, more of father/daughter pairing. Takes place sometime after the second book, but before the third. Okay? Okay. (Italics are Holly's dreams)
DISCLAIMER: I OWN NOTHING OF ARTEMIS FOWL! EVERYTHING BELONGS TO EOIN COLFER! (He's a writing genius, I'm not. There's one bit of proof for ya.)

~~~~~

As Captain Holly Short's head dipped towards her desk, she knew that it was wrong. You absolutely did not fall asleep on the job unless you wanted more paperwork to do. Fighting a yawn, Holly pinched her arm and rubbed her eyes. She hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, since Foaly had kept her at the Police Plaza, trying out his 'new, improved' iris cam. And then Chix Verbil had insisted that she go out to eat with him, so she'd finally given in and ended up staying at DeMarina's overpriced restaurant for three hours.

But the report she was supposed to be reading was blurring again in front of her eyes. With a sigh, sleep overtook the exhausted elf.

Holly was in Police Plaza, right in the middle of a firefight. Glancing beside her, she saw Trouble Kelp, urging his brother Grub to open his eyes, to hang on, Trouble was doing his best. Bounding over, Holly was about to lend a healing hand, but Trouble hung his head. "It's too late, Captain. It's been too long." He sniffed, dragging his brother's body behind cover before drawing his Neutrino. "Let's finish this." Holly hesitated a minute then nodded. Dodging blasts, Holly assessed her enemies – Pixies and goblins.

Holly threw herself into the fight, going on autopilot. Looking around, she saw comrades falling all around her. And then it was just her left, with thousands of enemies left. Just as they were about to overwhelm her. . .

THUD!
With a gasp, Holly opened her eyes, staring at her office floor. She'd fallen out of her chair. There were tears streaming down her face, Holly realized. Then her office door was flung open. "Short!" She heard. She started to sit up, "I'm sorry, C-Commander." She hiccupped, frantically looking for a handkerchief.
Commander Julius Root walked over to the still crying elf. "Here, Short, now calm down and tell me what's wrong. I could hear you screaming from my office." (Granted, his office was the next one down across the hall. . .) Crouching, he dug out his own handkerchief, handing it to Holly. "Thank you." She gasped, "It was just a nightmare. I'm sorry for falling asleep on the job."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Root gently pressed. He himself had fallen asleep on the clock a few times – He didn't know anyone in the LEP who hadn't, actually.
As Holly gathered her composure, Root sat down beside her and just put an arm around Holly, whom he considered almost his daughter, especially after their time together in the Arctic. As she related her nightmare, almost in tears again, Root listened. When Holly finished, Root stood up, helped her up, and said, "Come on, I'm taking you home. You need sleep and a nice cup of tea." At her protests, he gave her a look. The one that said Shut up and do as you're told. Holly shut up and did as she was told.

After Root personally drove Holly home and made her a cup of tea, he stuck around until he knew she'd be fine. He left his number, too, with a note that said, "Call me if you ever want to talk. Be well, daughter."

And you know what? Holly did call the Commander. Several times whenever she needed to talk. Root did the same, eventually. While it wasn't the same as a true father/daughter relationship, Root referred to Holly as 'daughter' off duty, and she called him 'father' off duty.

((SPOILER FOR THE OPAL DECEPTION!! DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS POINT IF YOU HAVEN'T YET READ IT!!))

(*Timeskip/linebreak/spoilers ahead/linebreak/timeskip*)

It was two weeks since Holly had tried to hit the 'sweet spot' and learned there wasn't one. It was two weeks since Commander Julius Root had died. Holly was at her desk at Short and Diggums PI, trying to fight off sleep. When her head finally hit the desk, she was sucked into a dream. A replay of that fateful day in E37.

"Be well."

THUD!
Holly woke up staring at her office floor, tears streaming down her face. Her office door didn't bang against the wall this time, nor did anyone shout "Short!" Hugging her knees, Holly bawled shamelessly. She had barely cried since she'd pulled the trigger on her Neutrino 3000. On an impulse, she reached for her communicator and punched in the Commander's number. When it went to the message recorder, Holly talked. She talked about everything that had gone through her mind since Root had died. She talked about her nightmare. And then she cried, dropping the device, and holding her knees.

Then the office door opened quietly. "Go away, Mulch." She sniffed. But the light footsteps didn't go out the door – Instead they came closer to Holly. The floor squeaked as someone sat down beside her. A warm hand stroked her hair. "Holly, daughter, I'm here." Turning with a strangled cry, Holly buried her face into the well-known commander's uniform, sobbing as she hugged the very-much-alive Commander Julius Root.
[close]

Well? You like it?

Luftwaffles

No Corny, I didn't like it... in fact, I was miles away from that definition.

Spoiler
Because I LOVED it :)

How can you even consider yourself to be bad at this if this was really good? Darn it :P!
[close]
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Cornflower MM

You nearly gave me a heart attack, thanks. :P
I'm glad you like, er, loved it, though! *Hugs* Oh, I guess it's just because I wrote it.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 14, 2015, 07:08:46 PM
You nearly gave me a heart attack, thanks. :P
I'm glad you like, er, loved it, though! *Hugs* Oh, I guess it's just because I wrote it.

I'm glad that I didn't achieve that goal... that would have been bad :P!

Oh yeah, it was very well-written and stuff :)! *HUGS!* :) But seriously, don't be hard on yourself like that, you don't deserve it! U_U!

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jetthebinturong

Very good.

Opal Deception
But did I forget something about Opal Deception? Did Root's death actually happen or not?
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Opal Deception

Yeah, he did die. *Sniffs* I just let my imagination run wild.
[close]

Cornflower MM

*Bumps with update* Hey guys, I got If One Never Left chapter two done!

IONL chap. two.

DISCLAIMER: Is this necessary? If I owned Twilight, I SO wouldn't be writing this. Duh! But I don't want to get sued either. Err.
JPOV

Bella's jaw dropped. "You never left? Why didn't you show yourself?!" She gasped. Bella was devastated, angry, and sad. "Bella, darlin', I'm sorry. It was really the best thing to do." I tried to soothe her, even used my gift. "Stop it, Jasper!" She shrieked as I sent her a very strong wave of calm. I immediately pulled it back, and she gave me a slightly puzzled look, but didn't really care. That much I could tell. "But why did you stay? Why did you leave your family, your mate, for me, a pathetic human?" Bella asked, starting to cry.

I barely thought before I was pulling Bella into my lap, rocking her and stroking her hair. "Shh, Bella, no voy a dejar que nada te haga daño, te lo prometo. Estoy aquí, no te voy a dejar o esconderme, de ti nunca más, cariño." I murmured, not realizing I'd slipped into Spanish again until I'd finished speaking. It came easily to me, almost more so than English. The result of that was that I often spoke Spanish when upset, agitated, or extremely busy or stressed.

"You spoke Spanish again," Bella noticed, "Oh, I'm so sorry! Jasper, you really shouldn't try to help me. It only makes it worse for you." She started to move away again. "Bella, don't you dare worry about me. If you need something from me, you will get it – No matter how much it may suck for me." I scolded, but letting her slip away anyways. I wasn't going to force Bella to do anything she didn't want unless necessary; I was no Edward. "Jasper? Jasper!" Bella's panicked voice broke into my thoughts. "I'm sorry, darlin'," I said as I shook my head trying to get rid of my unpleasant thoughts. "Didja say sumthin'?" Bella stared at me, shocked. I cringed into the chair as I realized I'd let my accent slip – Alice had hated it, so I'd always made a point of 'talking properly,' as she called it. To me that had always sounded like utter nonsense –It was the other way around. Running words together and dropping my G's and D's was talking properly, to me at least.

Bella was still staring at me like I'd sprouted another head, and I realized I'd been scrunched into the back of the chair and muttering "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" over and over again. Depositing her in another chair, I stood up, "I'll be back in an hour, Bella." I paused when I felt her hurt emotions. "I just need to think, I promise I will come back. I will answer any question you want me to then, okay? Try not to hurt yourself." I said with a smile. "Okay." Bella whispered, slowly wrapping her arms around herself. I hesitated a moment before reaching down and giving her a swift hug. "I'll be back as soon as I can." I murmured before quickly running through the door.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
After I found a nice old oak tree to sit under, I sighed as I leaned my head back against the tree. It appeared Alice had left a more lasting mark than I'd thought if I found myself instinctively trying to hide when I let my Southern accent slip. And it wasn't really just that, either; I'd found myself automatically reaching for those ridiculous loafers this morning, instead of the cowboy boots I preferred. Well, I reasoned with myself, she was my wife for how many years? Some of her prodding and pushing was bound to rub off. Besides, Alice really isn't all that bad. . . She just tried to do what she thought best and messed up royally. I do miss her. . . My mouth twitched up into a wry smile. Yes, I did miss Alice, with all her quirks. So she messed up a few times. Well, that was okay. I'd messed up a few times myself.

Standing up, I checked my watch; it was ten after three. Plenty of time to get back to Bella in the promised time frame, so I set off at a human pace, watching the animals. Two squirrels raced each other up a tree, chattering to each other. It was nice just being alone with my thoughts, I hadn't had a chance to be like this for quite some time; I'd been too busy watching over Bella. Speaking of which, I'd probably better get a move on.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
When I got close to the house, I noticed that there were two mixes of emotions instead of just one. I smiled – Charlie must be back, then. I veered into the woods and jumped quietly into what I called my 'lookout' tree. I had a perfect view of Bella's window, an okay view of the front door, and it was just far enough away for me to 'taste' the occupants emotions without being incapacitated by them. Indeed, it was a very happy Charlie and an anxious Bella that were inside. Glancing at my watch again, I realized why – 3:25. I had five minutes to get back before my hour was up.

Biting my lip, I considered the situation: I had to let Bella know I was here without alerting Charlie, but Bella's window was closed and I couldn't very well walk in the front door. After all the time spent protecting Charlie as well as Bella I definitely didn't want him to have a heart attack – That would most definitely defeat the purpose. Just then, Bella's window opened. "Jasper? If you're out there, please, let me know." Bella whispered. I felt a twist of anguish and disappointment coming from her as she backed away from the window.

I jumped out of the tree and moved to one much closer, gritting my teeth at the strength of Bella's emotions. Quickly hopping into the closer tree, I checked to make sure Bella was far enough away from the window, then launched from the tree, landing neatly right inside Bella's windowsill. She smiled, relief coloring her emotions. "You came back!" She breathed, hopping off her bed and wrapping her arms around me. I tensed for a moment, and then carefully hugged her back.

"What, are you already so tired of my company?" I teased. "No," Bella replied as she lifted her chin. "I just wasn't sure if you would come back." Bella really hadn't been sure, I realized as I stared at her sadly. What on earth did Edward tell her? I wondered for the millionth time as I said, "I promised, didn't I?" Her only response was a hesitant smile. I smiled back before I mischievously swooped down and picked her up bridal style. Bella squealed then giggled as I carried her over to the bed. "So, what do you want to know?" I asked, setting her down.
Her emotions became more sober as she thought for a moment. "Well, won't you sit down?" She asked after a minute. I blinked, and then carefully sat at the edge of her bed. "First, I want to know. . . Oh, will you relax!" She snapped. "There's no need to be so careful, Jasper. I'm not a doll!" I blinked. "I'm sorry, Bella, I didn't realize you felt that way. You're anything but a doll, Bella." I said slowly. She raised an eyebrow, curious, but dropped the subject. "So why did you come back?" Bella asked. "I already told you, remember? I wanted to apologize for trying to kill you on your birthday." I reminded her.

"Oh yeah, you did. But Jasper, there was nothing to forgive." Bella said quickly. I snorted. "Nothing? Please, Bella, I tried to kill you, and would have succeeded if a small part of me hadn't held onto sanity. I'm honestly still surprised that that small part of me didn't give up as well. Not only was I dealing with everyone else's bloodlust on top of my own, but what happened earlier didn't help. . ." I trailed off as I remembered that day and the night before. I realized I was starting to zone out when Bella sneezed. "Bless you," I said politely, mentally kicking myself.
"What do you mean?" Bella asked with her brow furrowing. "Bella, please, I really don't want to talk about it. I promise I'll tell you when it's less painful, okay? I know I'm not giving you very many answers, but please bear with me." I said, taking one of her hands and giving it a quick squeeze. "Okay. . . Question two, why did you stay? I mean, I'm just a pathetic, worthless, weak, stupid human-" I cut Bella off then.

"Bella, enough with the self-loathing. I'm pretty sure I have enough of that for the two of us. Rather ironic that I can't stand it, don't you think?" I asked with a sarcastic smirk, "Anyways, you are definitely not pathetic, and anyone who has told you that doesn't know the Bella that I do. The sweet, kind, generous, always thinking of others first Bella. Darlin', let me ask you something: If I thought you worthless, would I have stuck around for months, going far longer than I should have without hunting, kept you safe, if you were worthless? No. You are strong. Stronger than any other human I know. Perhaps not physically, but mentally is a different story. You're not stupid either. Quite the opposite, really. You got that? You are a strong, smart, beautiful young woman."

Bella blinked as my words sunk in. "Do I really seem that way to you, Jasper?" She asked. I nodded, carefully putting a palm on each of her cheeks, cradling her head. "Yes, darlin', I do. No matter what, you remember that." I ordered. Bella nodded, happy. "Of course, Jasper," She replied. She was radiating trust, and I felt shocked. I knew Edward had continually warned her that I was dangerous – And I am, very much so – and yet, Bella wasn't even the slightest bit scared of me. Dropping my palms, I leaned away from her slowly, assessing her hesitance. "What is it, Bella?" Bella blushed, "I was just wondering. . . Jasper, you just seem so in control of yourself. Even his eyes would darken when I hugged him, or I sat in his lap. Yet yours don't." She told me, hugging her knees.

"Bella, sometimes you're far too observant for your own good." I sighed. "Yet you deserve an answer. . . Your blood is appealing, sure – whose isn't? But I think that it certainly has something to do with the fact that I've been so close to you and Charlie for so long now, protected you both for so long, that it doesn't really bother me as much as it could." I said slowly, carefully, picking my phrasing. That was certainly part of the truth – The other part I just couldn't tell her yet. I had no idea how she would react right now if I told the whole truth. Probably she'd laugh. It was a risk I wasn't willing to take, not right now.

"Okay, questions four. What did you mean when you said that you have enough self-loathing for two of us a few minutes ago?" Bella asked, yet again breaking me out of my thoughts. I really should stop that. "Ah, you caught that, hmm?" I asked. "Well, Bella, do you know anything at all about my background?" She shook her head, and I resisted an urge to roll my eyes. "No, of course he wouldn't tell you my story. It's hardly something to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. But I think it's something that's better left for a nice sunny day. In a meadow. Preferably the center of said meadow. Anyways, Bella, the answer to your question has to do with my past, which I will tell you. . . Sooner or later. Anything else?"

BELLA POV

Well, that was weird What would be so bad about Jasper's past that he would only tell me in the middle of a meadow on a sunny day? It couldn't be that bad, could it? Hmm, questions. . . . . . Which one now? "Where's everyone else?" I asked after a moment of deliberation. "Georgia. Alice says it's really nice there, although really sunny." He grinned. "Rosalie's not too thrilled about night school, either, although Emmett's thrilled. Carlisle's teaching medical classes – at night – and Esme is the perfect picture of a stay-at-home mother. I think Rose is going for another mechanics major – Diesel this time, though. Emmett is trying to get an engineering degree. That'll be interesting – I don't think he's ever tried engineering before. Alice is majoring in dance for the first time. She loves it. . . Be prepared. When they get back, she may try to sucker you into dance classes." Jasper joked. "Oh, yes, and the other member of the family is taking the easy way out and majoring in psychology. Honestly, I don't think he's ever tried for anything new. Everyone else is doing something new this year, but him? Noo."

Jasper made a disgusted sound in his throat while casually reaching over and putting an arm around my shoulders and squeezing, maybe sending a little calm. I wasn't sure. The hole in my chest was starting to throb at the mention of Edward. But strangely, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be. Jasper's phone must have vibrated then, since he made a face and brought the dinky silver cell out of his pocket, flipping it open. "Yes, Alice?" he asked, his nose wrinkling. It almost made me want to giggle – He looked kinda funny, really.  "Oh, Alice, you've got to be joking!" he groaned after a moment. "Isn't that pushing it a little? I mean-" Jasper said quietly, sounding frustrated. "Fine. I'll ask her. But if she says no, Alice, that is that. No arguments." Jasper took the phone away from his ear and covered the speaker with his hand. "Bella, Alice would like to talk to you. Do you want to talk to her?" He asked, studying my face, and, no doubt, my emotions. "If you think you can't handle it, Alice will understand."

"Give me the phone." I said, holding out my hand. After he handed it to me, I brought it to my ear and said, "Alice?" I was half afraid that this was all a joke, but I felt that Jasper wouldn't do that to me. Surely Alice wouldn't, either? "Bella? I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. I know we shouldn't have left you. It was a truly rotten and selfish thing to do. Can you ever forgive me?" Alice asked, her voice subdued, nothing like what I was used to. "Alice, of course I forgive you. I always have." I replied, starting to tear up. "Oh, Bella, don't cry! Thank you so much. You don't realize just how heavily this has weighed on my mind." She said.

After that, we talked and giggled about the silly things, catching up. She wanted to know how Ang and Ben were doing, and sounded thrilled to the tips of her toes when I told her they were still together. Fifteen minutes later, I heard someone interrupt Alice, asking who she was talking to. "Hey, Em. I'm talking to Bella." I heard a bellow of "Bella?! Give me the phone, Pixie!" It made me giggle. Yes, that was the Emmett I'd known and loved. "In a minute," Alice scolded. "Listen, Bella, Emmett wants on the phone. But I was thinking – We all have a break from school coming up. . . . Do you think it would be okay if we came down to Forks?" If I hadn't been sitting down already, I would have then. "Of course, Alice! I don't think I'd like anything better. . . If it's okay with Carlisle, Esme, Rosalie, Emmett, and Jasper and as long as I don't have to see Edward." I admitted.  "Great! We'll see you in a week! Now, I'm putting you on speakerphone." Alice chirped.

~~~~ HOUR TIME SKIP ~~~~~

Finally handing Jasper back his phone, I smiled. I'd gotten to talk to all the Cullens – Except one – and I was happy.  "Darlin', are you sure you want the family to come here so soon? Are you sure you're ready for that?" Jasper asked. I smiled. "I'm positive. Yes, I agree it does seem a little soon, but I have a week, don't I?" I smiled, reaching over to give Jasper a hug. "Now, if you'd be so kind as to give me a little privacy. . ." I hinted. Jasper smirked. "I'll be around somewhere. If you need me, just call." Then he disappeared out my window. I smiled again and started gathering my things for a shower.
I wasn't okay, and I wouldn't be for a long time, but I was finally starting to heal.

SPANISH TRANSLATION:I will not let anything hurt you, I promise. I'm here, I'm not going to leave or hide from you anymore, honey.
[close]

Luftwaffles

Amazing as always, Corn!

And yeah, I don't know why people feel like putting the disclaimer anyway... they obviously DON'T own anything.

Ooooh and by the way, the Spanish part... spotless ;)!!!

Cornflower MM

Thanks, Sierra! Well, if you don't and someone important spots it (Yeah, like THAT'S gonne happen ::)) you could get into legal trouble. You know, get sued.

Thanks! I was thinkiong of having you or Skye check it, but I thought, 'Hey, why bug them with something so mushy-gushy?'

Luftwaffles

Oh, I see...

Oh, it would have been my pleasure to help you with that... don't hesitate to ask me! :)

Cornflower MM

You sure? :) Because if you are, then I warn you - I WILL expliot you! :P ;)

SOOO, guys, I went ahead and put in the italics and bold for that last chapter. AND! I finished chapter three of IONL. Should I post it? (It has swearing in it, I'm waring you now, and violence.()

Luftwaffles

Of course I'm sure, dear Corn. Especially now that I'm feeling better. ASK AWAY ;D!

And yeah, totally post whatever you have, we take great pleasure reading your stuff :)!

Cornflower MM

*Rolls eyes* Since no one bothered to answer my question, I've decided to put up the chapter. (Thanks for the advice, Jet!) So here's the chapter! (BY THe last chapterE WAY: I glossed over the week that passes between this chapter's main time span and th, and put it in Bella's POV. )

EDIT: Haha, Sierra, you ninja'd me! :P Well, I hope you enjoy this one. ;)

IONL chap. three

WARNING: MILD SWEARING IN THIS CHAPTER AND MILD TO MDEDIUM LEVEL VIOLENCE! PROCEED WITH CAUTION! T for a reason peeps!

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing Twilight! That honor belongs to Ms. Meyer. (As much as I love the series, I wouldn't trade places with her for the world.)

BPOV

The rest of the week passed in a blur. Sunday I spent with Jasper cleaning the Cullens' home. It seemed he hadn't really been back there, except for the odd shower and change of clothes. The place was super dusty and stuffy. That was fun, but also painful – I lost it at least three times. Each time Jasper was there for me, rubbing my back and saying all the right things.
Monday I went to school and went through the motions. When I'd been a little late to lunch and felt eyes on me, I turned and saw Jasper, standing at the end of the hallway just watching me. I'd smiled and waved, and he waved back then gave me a little shooing motion. After school, he and I tackled the garage, one of the spots we hadn't cleaned the day before. And believe me, that place was a mess.

Tuesday was school again, (duh) but I had a little more fun. Instead of staying in the cafeteria to eat, I took my lunch and ate in the band room while some of the more musically talented people practiced for a show they were going to perform at a summer camp. It was fun watching and listening to them sing, play their instruments and dance. Then after school I went shopping and found some interesting knickknacks to make my room look a little lived in. . . . And I also mysteriously found a new stereo installed in my truck with a sticky note on it that said 'You murdered the other one. Can you try to keep this one in your truck, at least? Or in one piece?' I laughed, something I found myself doing more of since Saturday.

Wednesday was boring, since today Jazz had refused to let me help him clean. Although there was one interesting part – When Jasper and I fought over me helping him clean. The interesting part of that conversation went as follows:
Me: "Jasper Hale-"
Jasper: *Interrupts, pinching his nose and almost pulverizing my kitchen table* "Whitlock. Not Hale, Whitlock."
Me: "What?"
Jasper: "My last name is Whitlock, not Hale."
Me: "Well, Jasper Whitlock, you are one of the most stubborn creatures on this earth!" *Continues ranting, but loses argument anyways*
But other than that, just school, go home, make Charlie dinner, and listen an old playlist I'd made. That turned out to be a bad idea, though. Three songs in and I was a mess.
Jasper found me fifteen minutes later face-down crying into my pillow. As he rubbed my back I truly realized just how unfair this was – I, the human, was always being comforted by the vampire empath. Jasper got stuck with the job of carefully gluing me back together after being shattered by his brother and someone I'd thought was my best friend. After blubbing out an apology to a very confused Jasper, who then lifted my spirits, it was then forgotten. Or so he thought.

Thursday Jazz refused to leave me alone again, so it was cleaning again. It wasn't that bad. He set me the task of cleaning the kitchen while he washed the windows. After that Jasper just decided to wash the entire outside of the house and I did the remaining cars. In the back of the garage I spotted a gleaming motorcycle, a Harley I think. "Hey Jasper, whose motorcycle is this? Emmett's?" I heard a tiny thud that suggested Jasper had jumped off the ladder and then he suddenly appeared next to me. I jumped, a knee-jerk reaction, and he raised an eyebrow. "No, actually, that's mine." He rubbed the bike almost affectionately. "Wow. I didn't take you for the motorcycle riding type." I said, reaching forward and touching the seat. He looked shocked, "What, you really thought I was the type that enjoyed Volvos and khakis and loafers? I'm hurt, Bella, I really am." I blushed. I'd noticed that Jasper always seemed to be wearing jeans, button downs or flannels, and the same pair of beat-up old cowboy boots lately, but I'd never thought anything of it before. Now that I'd thought about it, before the Cullens left I never saw Jazz wearing anything like he had the past few days. I was then brought out of my thoughts by a blast from the hose. I shrieked and threw my sponge at Jasper, who was standing at the other end of the hose, laughing so hard he was doubled over, slapping his knee. (Shocking, right? Not really. I'd started to learn that although he was physically twenty, Jazz had a mischievous streak a mile wide. And no, I'm still not sure how I managed to wrangle his physical age from him.) Twenty minutes later and we were both soaked and laughing, and I'd managed to get soap in my hair. Jasper won the water fight, of course.

Friday was . . . Harsh. At work, Mike Newton asked me out, again, and when I climbed into my truck I sighed with relief. "Hard day at work?" Jasper asked, popping up from the footboard of the passenger seat. I almost shrieked. "Jasper! Good grief, would you please give me some warning next time?!" I admonished sternly, but I caved after seeing his happy grin. "It wasn't that bad, but Mike – You remember Mike Newton? – asked me out. . . Again." I sighed, starting my truck so I wouldn't seem too crazy, talking to an empty truck. Jasper surprised me by growling and shaking his head. "Honestly! Guys like that really piss me off. Back in my day, ladies were more respected." He hissed, whipping a really, really old looking cowboy hat out of nowhere and pulling it over his eyes as I pulled out of the parking lot. After that, we drove in silence until we got home. Charlie was working late that day, so Jazz didn't have to hide for a while.
There was a message on the machine; the message was from Jacob wanting to know, sounding rather desperate, if we could do something over spring break. I gasped. "Spring break!? Today's Friday! Your family's coming tomorrow!" He looked at me with a confused expression. "Yes, they are. . ." When he felt me starting to have an anxiety attack, he immediately pulled out his phone. "I'll call Alice and tell her that the trip's off. You're not ready yet." I grabbed his arm. "No! I just wasn't expecting it to come so quickly, that's all. Please don't call Alice!" I pleaded. He sighed and slowly put his phone back into his pocket. "So, are you going to call him back?" Jasper asked, jerking his head at the phone. Then he laughed. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing!" He chuckled. I raised my eyebrows as I shrugged. "I'll call him back later. I still don't see what's so funny." I headed for the stairs and then gasped as Jasper picked me up and tossed me up in the air, casually. "Put me down!" I gasped, laughing as he tossed me over his shoulder and ran at a human pace up the stairs. At the landing, Jazz put me down on my feet. "Hey, Bella, I have a question." He announced as I casually grabbed his arm to stop myself falling on my face. "Yes? Ask away."
"Why don't you ever get nervous around me? I'm the most dangerous Cullen, after all, and my self control is. . . Risky at best. Yet here you are, using me to stop yourself from face-planting." I frowned, scratching the back of my head. "I feel safe with you, Jasper. Just because you slip up once in a while doesn't mean you're totally bad. After all, you admit your control can leave a little to be desired. Plus, you're smart, sweet, funny, and you have dozens of other admirable qualities. I wouldn't like to get a paper cut around you again, but then, I wouldn't want to get a paper cut around Rose, or Alice, or Esme, or Emmett either." I said, leaning against my doorjamb. He seemed satisfied with that answer, and we played checkers the rest of the afternoon.
The plans for Saturday were that I'd get up around seven, get ready, and then we'd be at the Cullen house around eight or eight thirty. The Cullens should be getting in around nine. I went to sleep that night feeling a little nervous, but little did I know what was to come the next day.

~~~JPOV~~~
We're running about fifteen minutes behind schedule, I thought as I unlocked the front door. But that was okay. . . I planned for about twenty extra minutes in between the time we got home and my family drove in. Bella sat on the couch in the living room, still slightly sleepy. I ran around, making sure everything was in order and fixing the annoying leaky faucet in the lower floor bathroom. And then I heard cars turning into the driveway. "Bella, darlin', they're almost here." I said, coming to a stop behind the couch. She was immediately wide awake, and extremely nervous. "Thanks, Jasper." I smiled. "No problem, Bella."

Then I realized Bella was so nervous she was shaking like a leaf. I couldn't say I blamed her – This was going to have some impact on her mental health and we all knew it. Whether it was a good one or not that remained to be seen.

The cars were so close now I could hear – And feel – everyone. They'd taken three cars. Esme and Carlisle were in the front car, talking about how nice it would be to see Bella and me again; I smiled. Rose and Em were sitting in the backseat of Carlisle's Mercedes, and they were talking about meeting Peter and Charlotte at the airport. I scowled; I did not need those two here right now. In a different car, I could hear Alice talking excitedly about how excited she was to see us – Peter or Char must in the car, I thought before I heard Edward: "Alice, Jasper is listening to every word we're saying right now."

I flew into a stream of cuss words. (I'll spare your ears) I'd told Alice that Bella wasn't ready to see him. And she should have known that anyways. And what does the pixie do? By the time I was finished with my profane streak, I heard Peter's God-awful grate-on-my-nerves laugh. "I told you Major wouldn't be happy!" He exclaimed. I hissed.
Bella was tugging on my arm, I realized. "What is it? What's wrong?" She was asking. "Ah, Bella, I'm afraid Alice couldn't resist bringing along a certain Cullen. . ." I said with my annoyance showing in my voice. She stared at me, simply confused. Carlisle's Mercedes was parking. "Bella, I'm out of time to mince words. In a matter of minutes Edward Cullen is going to walk through that door, so I suggest you prepare yourself." Bella sat back down on the couch with a thud. "I thought y-you said h-he wasn't c-c-coming," She stammered. "I didn't think Alice would be idiotic enough to bring him! Especially after I told her not to!" I snapped, almost to my exploding point.
"I'm sorry, darlin'. Look, Esme, Carlisle, Rosalie and Emmett will be right in. Come on, it won't be that bad. If it is, someone will be losing a few limbs." I promised, glancing at the door. "I'll be right back." I blurred to the door and opened it. "Ali, I refuse to apologize to that human. I don't why I should. She's pathetic and weak and clingy. I don't see what I was thinking." Edward's tones floated clearly in the open door. The others were standing on the porch, horrified and looking inside. Slowly I turned to look, almost afraid of what I'd see.

Bella's emotions were devastating, and she had tears streaming down her cheeks. It was heartbreaking. My sight turned red as I snapped. I vaguely heard the family scattering off the porch behind me as I started growling. Turning, I leaped off the porch, almost crashing into someone (I wasn't sure who) and tossing them out of my way as I blurred towards a paralyzed Edward. Ripping his arms and legs off was almost too easy, as I was going on instinct alone. Grabbing the scruff of Edward's neck, I raised him up to my eye level.

"Don't you even think about going there, boy. I've spent months here fixin' your damn screw-up, and the very least you can do is apologize to the lady you wronged, damnit! Mark my words, boy, you even look at Bella wrong again and I'll burn you so damned slowly it'll take me a month to do it. You make her cry again and you'll beg me to burn you by the time I'm finished with you. Now go apologize to Bella, and unless you like bein' ripped to pieces, I'd make it sincere if I was you. Understand?"

As I finished talking, I noticed Alice gripping the arm that was holding Edward up and pulling in vain. "Stop! Edward understands. Just put him down, please!" She was saying. "I get it now." Edward said, smirking through the pain he was in. "You and Bella are-" Off came his head and over the treetops it went. "Is he always like this?" An unknown voice whispered. "Only when he's upset." Peter muttered back. I took no notice of them as I turned and bowed to Alice. "My apologies, Alice, he was about to say too much."

Then I quickly walked back up the porch steps and inside, where Bella still sat crying and hugging Esme and Carlisle. The others had stayed outside, probably to make sure I didn't kill Edward. I can't say I blamed them. "Bella, remember what we've talked about? You are a strong, smart, beautiful young woman." Taking Bella's cheeks in my palms again as I kneeled in front of the couch, I tried insinuating a little peace in her chaotic emotions. . . Even if at that range their strength made me want to curl up into a little ball. "Please, darlin', try not to listen to Edward. He's an idiot, he doesn't know what he's saying, and he doesn't have his priorities straight. You are one of the sweetest, kindest, most caring humans I've ever met." I murmured, feeding her more peace with a little calm. "Thank you, Jasper." Bella sniffed before leaning forward and giving me a hug. "It's no problem." I whispered into her ear. Then, louder, "Now, there's several anxious people here wanting you to cheer up and waiting to say hello."
Just about everyone had drifted inside, except Alice, who had gone to find Edward's head. . . As well as his other limbs. Oops. Bella smiled, "Hi, guys. It's nice to see you again." In the next predictable rush of them trying to get to Bella to say hello and smother her with hugs, I stood up and drifted to the side. Looking at the scene, I smiled; Emmett was just then giving Bella a bear hug and almost shouting, "Bella Bells!" She was laughing as she said hello to everyone.

Then I turned to Peter and Charlotte, standing close together by the door. "Captain, Lieutenant. It's been a while." I greeted them. "Indeed it has, Major." Charlotte replied, before grinning and leaping at me. I dodged and grabbed her sides as she landed where I'd been half a second before, laughing as she squealed. "You're getting rusty, Char." I chided. She smiled as she turned and gave me a hug. Peter came over and slapped me on the back. "You really are a sight for sore eyes, Major; I may as well admit it." I laughed as I kicked his legs out from under him.

"Well, I could say the same for you, Peter." I began, dodging a punch from Char. "But the fact remains that this is pretty much the worst time you could have chosen to visit. But I suppose you had your reasons, eh Peter? Perhaps your friend in your head?" I quipped, grabbing the leg Peter kicked at me and tugging, throwing him on his back. Charlotte was a little more cautious, but it was still easy flip her on her back on top of Peter. They were both excellent fighters, but no one had ever defeated me. Plus, I knew their moves – I'd taught them, after all.
"Ah, well, about that, Major. . ." Peter started to say, helping Charlotte up. He was hesitating on purpose, the idiot. "Spit it out, Peter." I growled, crossing in my arms. Charlotte looked at me and nudged Peter, who was uneasily fixing his shirt cuff. He looked up and snapped to attention with Charlotte. "Major! Found someone who I thought you'd like to see. Sir!" I was confused for a minute, then realized I'd slipped into what my family called 'The Major Stance.' Alice said it was one step away from what they called 'Major Mode.'

I rolled my eyes. As annoying the reactions were, at least I got answers this way. "I see. So, you thought you'd crash the party because you found someone you thought I'd like to see?! Really, Peter, this takes the cake, even for you. Esta semana ya se había garantizado que hemos nosotros actuando como si estamos caminando sobre cáscaras de huevo, idiota! Me alegro de ver que ustedes dos, no me malinterpreten, pero por esta razón?!" I roared, before noticing the other part of the reunion had gotten quiet. They were watching us, I realized, Bella with some curiosity.

Breathing deeply, I tried to calm down enough that I wouldn't be yelling in Spanish at least. "Jasper?" Bella called. "Is everything okay?" She was worried, confused, and anxious. I tried smiling at her – It probably looked more like a grimace. "Everythin's just peachy, Bella." I said before turning back to Peter and Charlotte. "I told you we should have waited a few days." Charlotte muttered, glaring at her mate. "No, you two, it's fine. Let's jus' get this ovah with." I growled, pinching my nose. I registered Alice's annoyance that I'd let the accent slip and then pushed it to the back of my mind as I turned to go outside.

I heard a gasp in the still-open front door right after I turned. I felt my eyes widen as I, too, gasped. "What the hell are you doing here?" I and the vampire in the doorway asked each other in unison. I dimly realized that I was projecting my shock on everyone and pulled it back, my eyes riveted to the red ones in the doorway. The vampire standing there was about an inch shorter than me, with hair the exact same shade as my own, although his was chin length, not shoulder length like mine. He was slightly stocker, but our similar features were frozen into a mask of shock. "Jasper?" The other vampire asked. "Jackson?" I replied.

Walking forward to meet each other halfway between the corner I'd been in and the door, "It's really you." We chorused. Then Jackson laughed and hugged me, nearly picking me up in the process. I laughed, hugging him back. "I told you that I thought you might like to see him, Major!" Peter crowed. That was followed by a smacking sound and an "Ow! What was that for, Char?" I rolled my eyes. "For being an idiot, Peter." I answered for Charlotte, who snickered.

"Someone mind cluing me in?" Bella asked. "That would be nice, wouldn't it, Bella Bells?" Emmett said, with an exaggerated sigh. "Sorry, Bella," I apologized. "Everyone, I'd like to introduce my older brother, Jackson." You could have heard a pin drop as they stared at us, shocked, confused, happy. . . A few other emotions, simply a medley. I suppose we may have looked odd, as I was slightly leaning on Jackson, while he had an arm around my shoulders. It was a pose we'd fallen into a lot in our childhood, even when I overtook him in height when I was thirteen. (He was fifteen at the time.)

I'd never been a very huggy person to begin with, and my past had definitely made it worse. But just this once, I put up with the inevitable hugs, slaps on the back, and all that lovely awkwardness. (Note the sarcasm there?) Bella stayed on the couch, and after a few minutes of soaking in the happy, excited atmosphere, I ducked out and went to stand by her.

"Are you doing okay, Bella?" I asked, smiling at her. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's nice seeing everyone again, you know?" She turned her head to look at me, smiling back. "Yeah, I know. It's even better not having that whiny brat of a mind reader here." She nodded, her expression turning thoughtful.

"Jasper, did you mean what you said to Edward?" She asked me a minute later. I raised my eyebrow. "You mean, did I mean my threats? Yes I did, Bella. And trust me I say I would gladly back them up as well." She was surprised, but I wasn't going to worry about it. Just then Peter and Charlotte came to introduce themselves.
"Hi, Bella, I'm Charlotte, and this is Peter. But my family and friends call me Char. It's nice to meet you. And you have my word that Peter and I – and probably Jackson – will do our hunting out of state, okay?" Charlotte said, smiling as she extended a hand. As Bella shook it, she smiled. "Hi, Charlotte, I guess you know I'm Bella. And thank you; the gesture is appreciated. " Peter grinned as he held out a hand to shake. "We know Major here back when-" I cleared my throat unnecessarily. "Captain!" Peter raised an eyebrow at me; with his eyes he asked, 'You seriously haven't told her yet?' I'm pretty sure he got the message when I glared at him. Charlotte smiled at Bella again. "What my dear mate meant, Miss Bella, is that we knew Major, err, Jasper here when he was younger. In fact, he's the one who changed us." She said smoothly, although I could tell she had a little trouble calling me by my name, not rank.

When Esme called me back over, I winked at Char and ruffled her dirty blonde hair as I passed, while slyly kicking Peter in the back of one his knees. "Yes, Esme?" I asked with a smile. Hey, I couldn't help it! The happy emotions were certainly powerful. "I don't mean to spoil the mood, but look out the door. I think you'll find yourself looking trouble in the face." She murmured. Looking out, I grimaced. Alice had put Edward back together, and was tugging him across the yard.

"Lovely." I muttered, "Thanks, Esme." Blurring to Bella, I realized Jackson had gone over to her, taking the rest of the family with him. Dodging Emmett and ending up behind the couch, "Bella, Alice and Edward are back." I said, quickly assessing her emotional state rather than just feeling it. One good thing was Bella wasn't quite on the breaking point, like earlier, but she was still on shaky ground. "Okay, thank you, Jasper." Bella said, trying to smile even as she paled.
Moving to stand by Jackson, I watched the doorway. Soon enough, Alice walked into the living room, a stubborn look on her face. Standing in front of Bella, she smiled. "Hi, Bella, it's nice to see you. I am so, so, so sorry for what Edward said. It was unforgivable, and if I had known he'd say anything that incredibly cruel, and stupid, I promise you that I would have made him stay at home." Alice said earnestly. Bella smiled back. "It's fine, Alice. I understand. It wasn't your fault, and I trust you." She said simply, patting the couch next to her. Rosalie and Esme were already squished in, and Carlisle had pulled a chair up near the couch. Emmett was perched on the arm of the couch, and the rest of us were standing near it.

Alice squashed herself in somehow, and then they all immersed themselves in female chatter. However, my gaze was still riveted on the doorway; Edward was busy sauntering in. Bella looked up at him, nervous, slightly scared, but determined. "Hello, Edward." She said, moving to clasp Esme's hand. Rosalie put one her arms around Bella, and Alice stroked her arm reassuringly. "Hello, Bella." I tensed as he said her name. "I'm terribly sorry the things I've said and done." He said in a bored tone; with no feeling even if the words were right. I hissed, and Edward's eyes flickered to my face.

"It was wrong of me to say those things about you and leave you in the forest like I did. Even though I did leave you in sight of the house.  Will you forgive me?" He concluded. I sighed; it would have to do. . . For now. Bella snorted. "No! I most certainly do not forgive you, you monster! I loved you with all my soul, and then you tell that our relationship was nothing to you! That I was a mere toy!" By now, my girl was standing up, her chin jutting out as she thrust a finger into Edward's face, a streak of iron surfacing in her emotions. (No, I didn't have anything to do with it.) "Then you leave me in the forest, and while you did leave me in sight of my home, you should have known that I'd do what any teenage girl would do and follow you. You idiot! And then you convince everyone to leave me without even saying good bye, without even giving me a way to contact them, you selfish self-absorbed stuck-up snobby good-for-nothing!

"As if tearing me to pieces isn't enough, you decide to show up here again, and call me pathetic, weak and useless! Gee, thanks so much. I walked around like a zombie for months because of you, and if it weren't for Jasper here I don't even know where I'd be by now. And this is how you repay me? Did you know I used to have nightmares because of you? No? Well, you do now! I used to wake myself up screaming every single night because of you. You could care less, am I right?

"You walk around as if you know everything, as if because you can read minds you're the cat's meow! Well, I have news for you, buddy! I have shed my last tear over you. You will not be tearing my family away from me ever again. I have found them, and I am not letting go. I will deal with you only because you are a Cullen, and therefore will likely be hanging around my family. You don't deserve such a sweet, kind, caring, loving family around you. I hope that you never go through what I have because of you simply because I know that you would never come through the other side stronger. No, you would be reduced to a pile of mush. I bet you never knew that I was secretly creeped out by the way you'd spend your nights in my room, did you? I should be thanking you, actually, because you showed me that what your true colors actually are. If I hadn't seen them in time I'd be stuck with you! And this is for all those times you called me 'love', kissed me, and promised me that you loved me!" Bella said defiantly before turning, picking up a chair, and throwing it into Edward's face.

There was a shocked silence in which no one did anything. Then Edward's emotions started turning towards a more murderous tint. Jumping over the couch, I tossed Bella to the waiting gentle hands of Peter and Charlotte, and then ducked as Edward leaped towards where she'd been half a second before. Catching him by the waist, I tossed him out the door. Taking advantage of the few moments before I knew Edward would come back in it, I bowed to Bella. "Congratulations, Bella darlin', you have managed to not only call out all Edward's faults and tell him off excellently, you have also made him extremely mad. Nice move with the chair, by the way." I said with a wink, before blurring out the door.

Edward was indeed running for the door. As I got into his way, he tried to punch. Ducking under it, I kicked him in the side, followed up with a punch to his cheek. In between dodging a barrage of punches and kicks, I kicked him in the nose, sending him flying into the creek. I sighed, this was getting slightly tiring. I had some things planned for the day, and if I had to spend all my time trying to keep Edward from killing Bella, I was not going to be very happy. As I waited for Edward to get up, I could hear Charlotte. "Jackson, honey, calm down. Major knows what he's doing. This is nothing! Just watch."

And then Edward once again tried the leaping-at-me approach. I rolled my eyes as I crouched, then grabbed Edward by his waist and slammed him into the ground, the same way I had with Peter earlier. "Jasper, full Major Mode! It's the only way!" Alice called as I weaved through the punches and kicks Edward was trying to land on me. "Alice, are you crazy?! That's risky at the best of times!" I yelled back, grabbing Edward's arm and tugging, causing the unbalanced idiot to land on his face. "No, I'm not crazy, just do it! It'll be fine, I've seen this!" Alice shrieked back. With a hiss I let myself fall halfway into what Alice insisted on calling Major Mode. I wasn't Jasper anymore; I was the Major who'd existed under Maria's thumb – Cold, calculating, stern, merciless, and a ruthless expert fighter. There was a reason I was still one of the most feared vampires in the South. It wasn't a different personality, but it was close. I did have some rational thought, thankfully, and a full memory of what happened before falling into Major Mode.

Viewing the situation through almost different eyes did help I later realized. Edward was still kicking and punching with abandon. Getting close to Edward, I placed a swift punch to his nose, and then as he went flying I leaped after him and punched his side then grabbed his leg. Falling back down to the ground, I casually tossed Edward away from me; he hit a tree so hard it fell over. Walking calmly over to him, I stared at him – He was almost beaten, I could tell, but he came up swinging. Ducking and dodging, waited until he got closer to me, then I grabbed Edward's arms, spun him around a few times, and then tossed him back in the general direction of the house while keeping myself halfway out of Major Mode. It was risky, yes, but I knew that by now his rage was directed at me and not Bella.

I stalked over and waited. Any moment now, Edward would make a bad mistake. And then it came: Running at me, he attempted to kick my head. Grabbing Edward's ankle, I pulled and he went on his back again. In a flash I was locking down his arms and legs, thrusting one arm under his chin. He simply glared at me. "Do you submit?" I growled. After a moment, Edward growled but said, "Fine, I submit."

I got up and turned to walk away, intending to bring myself out of Major Mode when I heard something behind me. Turning, I saw Edward in the process of jumping at me. I laughed, easily slipping into full Major Mode. In seconds he found himself back on the ground missing his arms and his legs again. "Thoughtcha said ya submitted." I said, raising an eyebrow before I tore off his head and tossed it casually behind me as I walked away.

Taking a deep breath, I relaxed somewhat and took myself out of control of my darker side. Looking at the array of destruction stretching from here to the house, I winced. Walking quickly to where the others had gathered on the porch, I sighed. Alice at least was bound to be mad at me for tearing Edward to pieces twice in one day. The pixie in question was skipping off the porch when I reached it. "Alice, I'm really sorry." I started to say, but she shushed me. "Jasper, if you hadn't done it, things would definitely have gone badly. Very badly." I cocked my head questioningly, but she was already heading towards what was left of Edward.
Then the next thing I knew Bella was hugging me fiercely again. "Thank you, Jasper. I shouldn't have said what I did and made Edward so mad. Thank you for protecting me." She muttered. And she really was sorry, I realized; sorry and relieved and happy. "Bella, you did nothing wrong. Why on earth are you apologizing? You did something that I've longed to do for a long time in telling Edward off." I said, patting her back. Blushing, she let go of me and stepped back.

And then it seemed to Jackson's turn to worry over me. "What the hell were you thinking?!" He started to say, but I huffed, moving away. "Really, Jackson that was nothing." I said, rolling my eyes. The bad thing about my very much loved older brother was that he tended to be over protective. "I appreciate the concern, really I do, but it's unnecessary. Have you not seen me lately? I've never yet been defeated by anyone – If I had I wouldn't be here right now. Seriously, that was easy. Edward has no real training to speak of; he uses and depends on his mind reading advantage far too much. I've faced worse than a spoiled whiny mind reader." I said crossing my arms and shifting my weight to one leg. It was unnecessary, but it was a habit that I'd never been able to break.
Jackson groaned. "Fine. Whatever. You're just as stubborn as you used to be, you know that?" I smirked. Esme sighed. "Boys, boys, let's not argue, this is a wonderful day and we shouldn't waste any more of it!"  I laughed. "Of course not, Esme, come on, I made sure to reconnect everything."

~~~TIMESKIP~~~SIX O'CLOCK IN THE EVENING~~~STILL JPOV~~~

Bella looked at the clock and disappointment flooded her. "Oh, it's six already. Charlie will be getting home soon." She stood up from where she'd been watching Carlisle and I play chess with Jackson. Everyone else was scattered around somewhere. Other than the events in the morning, the day had passed pretty uneventfully. . . Other than the fact that everyone had sat down to play games; that was unusual. I stood up as well. "Come on, I'll take you home."  Edward stood up from where he'd been sulking all day in the corner. "Is it safe, though? You being alone with her?"

I growled. "We've been over this, Edward. And we both know the reason I snapped. So, either shut your mouth or let me shut it for you." And then Bella sighed. "You know what? Can Emmett come too?" Emmett jumped up. "Sure, Bella Bells! I'd be glad to." And so we were on our way, after Emmett gave Rose a quick goodbye kiss. We ended up taking Esme and Carlisle as well, on Alice's insistence.
Piling into the truck, Bella, Esme, and I got the cab; Emmett and Carlisle got the tail bed. Squeezed into the middle, I hoped the drive would be quick. Getting in, Bella yawned. She was getting a little tired; after all, she'd been up since, what, six in the morning? Six thirty? I wasn't sure what time she'd gotten up – Unlike certain mind readers, I didn't make a habit of watching her sleep. No, it was far too uncomfortable for me to even be in her bedroom. Watching her sleep? Hell no!

Halfway there, Bella fell asleep. I smiled; she needed it. And Bella certainly deserved it! I mean, throwing a chair at Edward's head? That was a nice move. And then Esme went around a big curve in the road. Bella toppled over, straight into my lap. Esme looked over and smiled at me; I realized that she did that on purpose. I raised an eyebrow at her, and then placed an arm around Bella.

When we pulled onto Bella's street, I groaned. "Charlie's home," I whispered. "That's not good." Esme muttered. "We'll just have to improvise." I said calmly. Esme nodded in agreement as we pulled into Bella's driveway. "Bella, time to wake up, darlin', you're home." She groaned. "Five minutes." The front door opened. "Bella!" Esme, Carlisle, and Emmett were getting out. "What?" Bella asked, opening up one eye. Then she gasped and sat up straight, blushing. "Oh my gods, I'm sorry Jasper. I swear I didn't mean to fall asleep on you." I smirked. "I could care less about that, Bella. But you have a rather upset Charlie coming." They were saying hello now. . .

She unbuckled as I scooted towards the door Esme had left open for me. Walking quickly at human pace, I walked around the back end of Bella's truck and opened Bella's door for her. "Hi, Dad; you're home from work early." She greeted as I shut the car door.  "I'm sorry, Charlie. Bella's truck broke down and we fixed it, and then I asked her to come over and spend a little time with us, and we lost track of the time. Alice would have killed me if we'd seen Bella and didn't let her say hello." I lied smoothly. Charlie looked satisfied with that answer, and so we spent a few minutes saying hello to Charlie and promising that Edward wasn't going to be talking to Bella anytime soon. I even told him that Bella had gone off on Edward and thrown a chair at his head; he was happy after that, and then we started to walk home. I was giving Esme a piggyback ride, and Emmett was telling Carlisle a joke.  Perhaps we let some of our true nature show then – After all, we refused Charlie's offer of a ride home and we were supposed to be walking across the town.

But when we were out of sight of the Swan home, I passed Esme to Carlisle with a smile. "I'll see you guys tomorrow, okay? If Peter and Charlotte are still at home and want to know where I am, then tell them." And then I blurred back to my lookout tree and settled down to wait out the night watching over Bella and Charlie.
[close]

I did warn you about the swearing and violence. So, what do y'all think? Like it?