News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Corny's Non-Redwall Stories.

Started by Cornflower MM, March 29, 2015, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

This was amazing, Corn! And you made me laugh a few times so... extra points for that :P

I'm amazed at how fast you can turn great, long work. And I don't think that the cursing was all that bad (if that was a major concern for you, which it seems to be).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Cornflower MM

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 01, 2015, 11:05:53 PM
This was amazing, Corn! And you made me laugh a few times so... extra points for that :P

I'm amazed at how fast you can turn great, long work. And I don't think that the cursing was all that bad (if that was a major concern for you, which it seems to be).

Haha, thanks! I like making people laugh. :)

Well, that took three days - Moft of which I spent at my laptop. :P I suppose that's not t oo bad, time-wise. *Shrugs* Well, honestly, I couldn't care less about the swearing - But I now other people care more about it than my family does, so. . ..

The Skarzs

In the Artemis Fowl fanfic "Dreams Bring Us Closer", I saw the sentiment there, but it was far from what I enjoy reading. :P The style you tend to write in is rather relaxed and is a bit reminiscent of the old Uncle Remus stories, with the abbreviations and explanations between points of action.

Quote. . . he gave her a look. The one that said Shut up and do as you're told.

This is what I'm talking about. Of course, this can be considered as that infuriating rule "show, don't tell", where you are telling here. :P Instead of explaining what a look meant, you might say "he gave her the look." I can tell that the look wants her to shut up, as she is protesting and the look stops her. That brings me to another point:

QuoteAt her protests, he gave her a look.

I feel that the phrases should be switched, perhaps reading "He gave her his patented look as she started to protest, [shutting her up]." Sometimes it helps to read what you have written out loud.

As I said before, the sentiment and closeness between the two characters were there, and your style is easily seen. Keep it up!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 03, 2015, 05:41:43 PM
"He gave her his patented look as she started to protest, [shutting her up]." Sometimes it helps to read what you have written out loud.

Good point. . . . . Although, I may add that that sentence wouldn't exactly be true.
cism! Always helpful. :)
Thanks for the criticism

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

One recurring thing I noticed is that you say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" but other than that I can't find fault with it.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on June 03, 2015, 06:09:17 PM
One recurring thing I noticed is that you say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" but other than that I can't find fault with it.

Oopsie. . ..Thanks, Jet!

Cornflower MM

Hey, guys, I randomly got inspired the other day and wrote half of it last night, and the rest I added today ehrn I was copying it from my notebook. :P
I hope y'all like it, it's an Inkheart one-shot. About Dustfinger and Brianna. I couldn't think up anything good for the title, so after I finished it, stupid me goes back, adds a few sentences, and badda bing, badda boom, I have a title!  So that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the title is. . . . Cliched, for lack of a better word. And yes, I did actually go through and edit this one, not just wrote it and published it. :P Amazing, right?

EDIT: No clue what's going on with t he spoiler, my apologies, I'm trying to fix it!

EDIT EDIT: Fixed! Who knew coding was a big deal in spoilers?
Faith

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing Inkheart related! You recognize it, it's not mine. That ought to be obvious.

BPOV

Sometimes, being the daughter of a famous fire-eater was hard for the small, fiery-tempered five-year-old; or so Brianna thought, walking away from Marcie, a girl about her own age who refused to play with her because she was scared of fire. 'Fire, the stupidest thing possible to be scared of,' Brianna thought scornfully, drawing a hand across her eyes – Marcie had really hurt her feelings the way she'd refused to play dolls. 'Oh well, maybe Evia wants to play,' She mused before remembering her best friend, Evia, was in Ombra – Something about her older brother.

A boy Brianna hardly knew walked up to her then. "Hey, you're the fire-dancer's daughter! You know, Dustfinger's?" Brianna perked up a little then – Though she still clutched her doll, Gracie, to her chest – and nodded. "Make the fire dance! Prove you're the fire-eater's daughter. I saw him do it once. Make it dance!" The boy's older brother, Fabien, had come up and it was he who demanded Brianna to 'make it dance!'  Squeezing Gracie tighter, Brianna replied, "I can't! I don't have Daddy's skill, and he's always told me never ever play with fire, that it's dangerous, but if I still want to in a few years he'll teach me. But I can't, and even if I could play with fire the way Daddy does I wouldn't do it for you! So there!" The little girl cried out defiantly, stomping her foot for good measure.

Then, quick as a whip, Fabien reached out and snatched Gracie. His younger brother (who really did like Brianna) tugged at his older brother's arm, trying to get the beloved doll back for Brianna. "You're not Scarface's daughter after all! Liar!" Fabien taunted, holding the doll above his head and out of Brianna's reach. "I am so! Don't call Daddy 'Scarface,' and I'm not a liar!" She said loudly, jumping for the doll. "Give me back my doll!" Fabien just grinned – He'd found a touchy spot. "You are a liar, though.  I'll call that cowardly, never-at-home old Scarface whatever I want to! Whatcha gonna do about it, little girl?"

At that, Brianna plopped down on an over turned bucket and started to cry. She'd only wanted to play dolls when she'd started out that morning, but Marcie had been awful, Evia was gone, this boy had taken her doll, called her a liar, and, worst of all, was insulting her father. It was too much for the five-year-old Brianna.

What neither Brianna nor Fabien noticed was the angry red haired man in the red and black of the fire-dancers of the Motley Folk striding down the small, other-wise-almost-empty street, cape flapping, tame horned marten trying to keep up. But Tobi (the nicer, younger brother) did, and thanked his lucky stars that the angry fire-dancer was making a beeline for Fabien, not him.

The first Fabien became aware of Dustfinger was when someone grabbed his shoulders, spun him around, and grabbed his collar. Fabien gulped, the doll slipping from his fingers to the waiting Gwin. "Don't you dare ever call Brianna a liar ever again, you hear me?! She's more truthful than you could ever hope to be. You even think about upsetting my daughter ever again, and you will have me to reckon with." Dustfinger was so upset by then that his hands were starting to glow and heat up. "You even think about looking at her wrong again, and you won't be sitting down for a year. My daughter is never to be troubled by your presence, ever again, understood? Next time I see your face you'd better hope I'm in a lenient mood." Dustfinger hissed, then shoved Fabien away from him just as his hands burst into flame.

Dustfinger never realized it, but just then, with his hands flaming and a murderous look on his face, his scars prominent and stern looking, he looked truly terrifying. Fabien turned and ran, mentally vowing to himself that he'd never go to see another fire-eater perform.

Turning, he spotted Tobi taking Gracie from Gwin and handing her to Brianna, along with his handkerchief and a sincere apology. Wiping her eyes with the offered hanky, Brianna muttered a quick, "Thanks." After she gave the hanky back, Dustfinger shooed Tobi away, his hands no longer on fire, and knelt by the bucket. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" He asked gently, stroking her hair, the hair that was so much like her mother's. "Yes, Daddy," Brianna replied, before throwing her arms around Dustfinger and burying her face in his shoulder, crying.  

Startled and almost at a loss for what to do, Dustfinger wrapped his arm around her, rocking his daughter. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'll always watch over you, I'll always come back." He murmured, stroking Brianna's hair again.
Later, when they were all home again, and Dustfinger was tucking his girls into bed, Brianna asked, "Daddy, did you really mean that you'll always watch over me, and you'll always come back?" A perfectly innocent question, delivered in those last few sleepy moments before slipping into DreamLand. Dustfinger smiled as he brushed Brianna's hair back from her eyes. "Of course. I will never stop fighting, stop hurrying, and stop trying to get back to my family.  I love you." A rare moment of emotion for Dustfinger.

And yet, Brianna remembered that when Dustfinger was declared missing three weeks later. She knew her daddy wasn't dead, and she knew that he'd come back. He'd told her so.

She still didn't lose faith when Rosanna died. She didn't lose faith when her mother re-married. She didn't lose faith when she gained a brother, or when her step-father died. She always remembered that her daddy had told her that he'd always come back, that he'd never stop trying to get home, fighting to find his family.

And when she caught sight of Dustfinger ten years later at a festival, Brianna's breath caught in her throat. It was all she could do not to leap off the platform and run to her father, screaming his name then and there. Brianna knew she couldn't, though, and she knew that he wouldn't say anything to her – Brianna knew that her father believed himself a coward, though he wasn't. He was anything but.

For her, though, the knowledge that Dustfinger, her father, had come back was enough. He didn't need to say anything.
[close]

Well? You like it? Too emotional, do you think? Did I portray Brianna and Dustfinger right?

EDIT 3: *Squeals* Thank you very much, mysterious Guest, for viewing my story topic! I hope you like my stories! *Is really, really happy that people, ven Guests, are viewing my topic that always seems to get ignored*

Luftwaffles

Wow, that was amazing, Corn! Probably your best text yet!

Even when I don't know the first thing about Inked Heart, I really enjoyed the story and it was good enough to dismiss that fact. Also, it would be wrong not to praise the absolutely terrific use of the wording in this; every line and description is delivered with unusual passion (not for you, but in general) and it is really hard not to love every second of it. You were terribly inspired when you wrote this and it shows.

Too bad that this is just a one-shot. I wouldn't be tired of this plot anytime soon.

QuoteEDIT EDIT: Fixed! Who knew coding was a big deal in spoilers?

I know, right? That's why I don't even bother anymore :P!

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Cornflower MM on June 25, 2015, 07:44:00 PM
Hey, guys, I randomly got inspired the other day and wrote half of it last night, and the rest I added today ehrn I was copying it from my notebook. :P
I hope y'all like it, it's an Inkheart one-shot. About Dustfinger and Brianna. I couldn't think up anything good for the title, so after I finished it, stupid me goes back, adds a few sentences, and badda bing, badda boom, I have a title!  So that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the title is. . . . Cliched, for lack of a better word. And yes, I did actually go through and edit this one, not just wrote it and published it. :P Amazing, right?

EDIT: No clue what's going on with t he spoiler, my apologies, I'm trying to fix it!

Faith

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing Inkheart related! You recognize it, it's not mine. That ought to be obvious.

BPOV

Sometimes, being the daughter of a famous fire-eater was hard for the small, fiery-tempered five-year-old; or so Brianna thought, walking away from Marcie, a girl about her own age who refused to play with her because she was scared of fire. 'Fire, the stupidest thing possible to be scared of,' Brianna thought scornfully, drawing a hand across her eyes – Marcie had really hurt her feelings the way she'd refused to play dolls. 'Oh well, maybe Evia wants to play,' She mused before remembering her best friend, Evia, was in Ombra – Something about her older brother.

A boy Brianna hardly knew walked up to her then. "Hey, you're the fire-dancer's daughter! You know, Dustfinger's?" Brianna perked up a little then – Though she still clutched her doll, Gracie, to her chest – and nodded. "Make the fire dance! Prove you're the fire-eater's daughter. I saw him do it once. Make it dance!" The boy's older brother, Fabien, had come up and it was he who demanded Brianna to 'make it dance!'  Squeezing Gracie tighter, Brianna replied, "I can't! I don't have Daddy's skill, and he's always told me never ever play with fire, that it's dangerous, but if I still want to in a few years he'll teach me. But I can't, and even if I could play with fire the way Daddy does I wouldn't do it for you! So there!" The little girl cried out defiantly, stomping her foot for good measure.

Then, quick as a whip, Fabien reached out and snatched Gracie. His younger brother (who really did like Brianna) tugged at his older brother's arm, trying to get the beloved doll back for Brianna. "You're not Scarface's daughter after all! Liar!" Fabien taunted, holding the doll above his head and out of Brianna's reach. "I am so! Don't call Daddy 'Scarface,' and I'm not a liar!" She said loudly, jumping for the doll. "Give me back my doll!" Fabien just grinned – He'd found a touchy spot. "You are a liar, though.  I'll call that cowardly, never-at-home old Scarface whatever I want to! Whatcha gonna do about it, little girl?"

At that, Brianna plopped down on an over turned bucket and started to cry. She'd only wanted to play dolls when she'd started out that morning, but Marcie had been awful, Evia was gone, this boy had taken her doll, called her a liar, and, worst of all, was insulting her father. It was too much for the five-year-old Brianna.

What neither Brianna nor Fabien noticed was the angry red haired man in the red and black of the fire-dancers of the Motley Folk striding down the small, other-wise-almost-empty street, cape flapping, tame horned marten trying to keep up. But Tobi (the nicer, younger brother) did, and thanked his lucky stars that the angry fire-dancer was making a beeline for Fabien, not him.

The first Fabien became aware of Dustfinger was when someone grabbed his shoulders, spun him around, and grabbed his collar. Fabien gulped, the doll slipping from his fingers to the waiting Gwin. "Don't you dare ever call Brianna a liar ever again, you hear me?! She's more truthful than you could ever hope to be. You even think about upsetting my daughter ever again, and you will have me to reckon with." Dustfinger was so upset by then that his hands were starting to glow and heat up. "You even think about looking at her wrong again, and you won't be sitting down for a year. My daughter is never to be troubled by your presence, ever again, understood? Next time I see your face you'd better hope I'm in a lenient mood." Dustfinger hissed, then shoved Fabien away from him just as his hands burst into flame.

Dustfinger never realized it, but just then, with his hands flaming and a murderous look on his face, his scars prominent and stern looking, he looked truly terrifying. Fabien turned and ran, mentally vowing to himself that he'd never go to see another fire-eater perform.

Turning, he spotted Tobi taking Gracie from Gwin and handing her to Brianna, along with his handkerchief and a sincere apology. Wiping her eyes with the offered hanky, Brianna muttered a quick, "Thanks." After she gave the hanky back, Dustfinger shooed Tobi away, his hands no longer on fire, and knelt by the bucket. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" He asked gently, stroking her hair, the hair that was so much like her mother's. "Yes, Daddy," Brianna replied, before throwing her arms around Dustfinger and burying her face in his shoulder, crying.  

Startled and almost at a loss for what to do, Dustfinger wrapped his arm around her, rocking his daughter. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'll always watch over you, I'll always come back." He murmured, stroking Brianna's hair again.
Later, when they were all home again, and Dustfinger was tucking his girls into bed, Brianna asked, "Daddy, did you really mean that you'll always watch over me, and you'll always come back?" A perfectly innocent question, delivered in those last few sleepy moments before slipping into DreamLand. Dustfinger smiled as he brushed Brianna's hair back from her eyes. "Of course. I will never stop fighting, stop hurrying, and stop trying to get back to my family.  I love you." A rare moment of emotion for Dustfinger.

And yet, Brianna remembered that when Dustfinger was declared missing three weeks later. She knew her daddy wasn't dead, and she knew that he'd come back. He'd told her so.

She still didn't lose faith when Rosanna died. She didn't lose faith when her mother re-married. She didn't lose faith when she gained a brother, or when her step-father died. She always remembered that her daddy had told her that he'd always come back, that he'd never stop trying to get home, fighting to find his family.

And when she caught sight of Dustfinger ten years later at a festival, Brianna's breath caught in her throat. It was all she could do not to leap off the platform and run to her father, screaming his name then and there. Brianna knew she couldn't, though, and she knew that he wouldn't say anything to her – Brianna knew that her father believed himself a coward, though he wasn't. He was anything but.

For her, though, the knowledge that Dustfinger, her father, had come back was enough. He didn't need to say anything.
[close]

Well? You like it? Too emotional, do you think? Did I portray Brianna and Dustfinger right?

EDIT 3: *Squeals* Thank you very much, mysterious Guest, for viewing my story topic! I hope you like my stories! *Is really, really happy that people, ven Guests, are viewing my topic that always seems to get ignored*
That might have been me lurking; not sure.  And I do look at this thread; I just don't read your stuff usually 'cause they're all written for fandoms I'm unfamiliar with.

And I haven't read all of this oneshot yet.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 25, 2015, 09:12:15 PM
Wow, that was amazing, Corn! Probably your best text yet!

Even when I don't know the first thing about Inked Heart, I really enjoyed the story and it was good enough to dismiss that fact. Also, it would be wrong not to praise the absolutely terrific use of the wording in this; every line and description is delivered with unusual passion (not for you, but in general) and it is really hard not to love every second of it. You were terribly inspired when you wrote this and it shows.

Too bad that this is just a one-shot. I wouldn't be tired of this plot anytime soon.

QuoteEDIT EDIT: Fixed! Who knew coding was a big deal in spoilers?

I know, right? That's why I don't even bother anymore :P!

You really think so?! *Happy look*

I. . . . Really don't know what to say. I honestly don't. Well, other than this: I'd just read something called 'I'm Sorry, Brianna.' by Georgia Max, and combine that with Skyfall with Adele and Seven Devils by Florence + The Machine. . . That got the inspiration flowing. I wrote at least half of this last night, with my note book, a studio pen, and a flashlight.

In all honesty, I wouldn't know how to continue. I might do some other Inkheart stuff later; I'm not really sure. But it's quicte likely. . . All I need is a plot.

Haha! Good point, techy genius!

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on June 26, 2015, 12:56:55 AM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on June 25, 2015, 07:44:00 PM

Faith

BPOV

[close]

That might have been me lurking; not sure.  And I do look at this thread; I just don't read your stuff usually 'cause they're all written for fandoms I'm unfamiliar with.

And I haven't read all of this oneshot yet.

Oh. *Crestfallen expression* Well, at least you looked! *Cheers up again* That is a very good point. . . .. Note to self: Get some books Jukka has read/will read so I can write up something for her.
And seriously, take your time reading it! It's not going anywhere. :)

EDIT: What the heck did I try to say on that first sentence. . . ? *Squints at screen* I really shouldn't try typing when sleep deprived. Or yawning. It just doesn't work. (When I can't decipher what I said, we have a problem. Especially when it's handwriting.)

Luftwaffles

Of course, Corn. I truly loved this story and I'm looking forward to more updates on this thread :)

QuoteI wrote at least half of this last night, with my note book, a studio pen, and a flashlight.

I just fell in love with that.

Cornflower MM

I'm working on a new chapter for IONL, too, and it's about halfway done! It shouldn't be too terribly long.

haha, I just had to get my thoughts down on something before I went to bed. So the flashlighth it was! :D

And guys! Look what just made my day!:

QuoteMasked Man 2 chapter 1 . 6h ago
All of this was heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Little Brianna's feistiness and strong desire to defend her father was wonderful to see, and Dustfinger's rage when it came to protecting her from Fabien's taunts seemed so in-character for him: to throw all caution to the wind and let the flaming temper go (literally) when his loved ones are in distress. His promise to her, though it seemed impossible to keep, touched me to the heart, and I liked the unique take on their post-disapperance relationship: how Brianna never lost faith in Dustfinger, and was overjoyed and completed at his return, as opposed to her antagonism and heartbroken rage in the books. The one correction I'd make regards Brianna's hair; her hair is red like Dustfinger's, not dark like Roxane's. Rosanna is the one with Roxane's hair. :)

*Is doing happy dance*

Luftwaffles

(Woah, I somehow missed the entire quote when you made that post, Corn  :o).

The story really does deserve all the praising it can get, Corn. You should totally stop being surprised about it :P

Quotehaha, I just had to get my thoughts down on something before I went to bed. So the flashlighth it was! :D

Haha, I can relate to that.

Skyblade

Revive :)

Hope you post more soon, Corny!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!