News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Boldred and her maps

Started by Cornflower MM, August 31, 2015, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Lately, I've been thinking. About the Redwall maps, to be precise. For instance, Boldred. It's been a while since I read Martin the Warrior, so chill if I make a few mistakes.

Anyway, Boldred is a mapmaker - That was stated at least twice. At least. But what happened to all her maps? Who used them? Or did she just draw them, because she wanted to? For that matter, about maps in general. Did the Redwallers ever really use maps? In Mossflower, yeah, Martin, Gonff, and Dinny had a sort-of map. . . Anyway. Back on Boldred.

LT Sandpaw

Suppose the Gawtrybe snuck into her caves one time while playing their games and thought drawing might be fun and ruined the maps...
Or perhaps they given to the leaders of Noonvale. Either is as good an option to what happened to them as any.

It sounds like the Redwallers had a few maps throughout the series, such as the sketch Graypatch drew. There was also the map that the travelers in Loamhedge and Mattimeo used, both were rather rough drawings but they were still maps.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Perhaps it was just something BJ overlooked or thought unimportant; perhaps she did give her maps away to those who needed them, but I think the Gawtribe were too afraid of her to try something like steal them.

Maps are made by those who need them; Salamandastrom undoubtedly has maps, either from its own creatures or taken from searats, and I'm pretty sure maps have been made and destroyed throughout Redwall's history. It's just that most creatures didn't need them.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

Boldred's maps could have just been lost when she died.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Hickory

First of all, It's shown in the book that Boldred is

1.) Reclusive and travels a lot,
2.) which indicates she has little time to socialize with the animals and civilization around her, exception of the Gawtrybe
3.) All around, she's little known.

Besides, all creatures besides the redwallers have little to no need for maps. Many creatures, ei. the Guosim, don't need maps. They navigate the the landmarks and stars, which is perfectly fine. Stars are great to navigate by!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

She could trade with Noonvale, for food and such.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Banya

I like the idea that Sandpaw suggested about Boldred's maps being given to Noonvale.  It's possible, too, that her daughter Emalet became a mapmaker like her mother and that these maps were kept in their family for generations.  Either way, in comparison to the location of Mossflower Woods, Boldred lived in and mapped the far north; and it's likely that, no matter in whose paws or talons they ended up, her maps stayed in the far north.