Alternate Animals If Sequels Were Expanded to Other Continents

Started by georgewilson, November 06, 2015, 03:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgewilson

OK, here's another alternate animal thread, this time for five continents (North America, South

America, Africa, Asia, and Australia). Feel free to speculate on consequences or alternatives. Rats

and mice appear more or less the same everywhere. If anyone gets the license for sequels, it might be

a start.

North America

Snake = Rattlesnake, boa constrictor
Villains = Bobcat, coyote, skunk, possum
Squirrel equivalent = Chipmunk
Hedgehog equivalent = Porcupine
Badger equivalent = Raccoon
Mole/vole equivalent = Prairie dog
Shrew equivalent = Groundhog/woodchuck
Otter equivalent = Beaver

South America

Snake = Anaconda
Villains = Coati, ocelot, peaccary
Squirrel equivalent = Chinchilla
Hedgehog equivalent = Armadillo
Badger equivalent = Capybara
Mole/vole equivalent = Agouti, paca
Shrew equivalent = Guinea pig
Otter equivalent = Amazon river dolphin

Africa

Snake = Black mamba
Villains = Cheetah, hyena
Squirrel equivalent = Jerboa
Hedgehog equivalent = Same
Badger equivalent = Aardvark
Mole/vole equivalent = Naked mole rat
Shrew equivalent = Hyrax
Otter equivalent = Meerkat

Asia

Snake = Cobra
Villains = Snow leopard? (Tigers seem too large)
Squirrel equivalent = Flying Squirrel
Hedgehog equivalent = Pangolin
Badger equivalent = Marmot
Mole/vole equivalent = Hamster
Shrew equivalent = Gerbil
Otter equivalent = Mongoose

Australia

Snake = ?
Villains = Dingo, Tasmanian devil
Squirrel equivalent = Wallaby
Hedgehog equivalent = Echidna
Badger equivalent = Koala
Mole/vole equivalent = Wombat
Shrew equivalent = Opossum
Otter equivalent = Platypus

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Dotti Dillworthy

Philippine tarsiers (from our fauna) would be one of Asia's equivalents to voles (?).
I think even endangered species would deserve some recognition in the sequels, like the Pallas's cat on the Villains' side.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on November 06, 2015, 03:30:03 PM
Why wouldn't there be squirrels in North America?

I'm wondering that too. We have squirrels.

Other than that, this looks really cool. Nice job, George.

Skyblade

Woah, this looks interesting. I like it :)

This would be a great idea for a fanfiction or RP.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Captain Tammo

I think the African equivalent of a badger should be an elephant!

I can see them as being these sparse, nearly mythical creatures that have incredible wisdom and strength, but do not waste their time on the quarrels of smaller creatures. You could almost think of them as Greek gods in how they function. I think it'd be a nice twist on things!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Greek gods thing: Yeah. :P They would be so incredibly large (the biggest land mammal in the world) that the little things would be either none of their concern or caused by them because of the knowledge of their own power.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 12, 2015, 03:21:25 AM
Greek gods thing: Yeah. :P They would be so incredibly large (the biggest land mammal in the world) that the little things would be either none of their concern or caused by them because of the knowledge of their own power.
More like the horse in Redwall.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

georgewilson

Quote from: Captain Tammo on November 12, 2015, 02:48:57 AM
I think the African equivalent of a badger should be an elephant!

I can see them as being these sparse, nearly mythical creatures that have incredible wisdom and strength, but do not waste their time on the quarrels of smaller creatures. You could almost think of them as Greek gods in how they function. I think it'd be a nice twist on things!

The hyraxes, which are closely related to elephants, could be their priests.

Jetthebinturong

Hyraxes are small furry animals. Are they really closely related to elephants, because I find that hard to believe.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

georgewilson

Proboscids (elephants, extinct animals like mammoths and mastodons) are their closest living relatives, though they diverged a long time ago evolutionarily.

Lutra

Actually most of what you have for North America wouldn't be necessary...you could keep the same species for the most part.  Granted certain areas only have certain species, but trading a badger for a raccoon isn't really apples to apples (plus we have badgers here too!).  The only one I can see definitely changing is the color of a squirrel (grays are more common than reds) but everything else does exist in some way here on the other side of the pond. ;)

Other continents like South America or Africa, yeah, you need some changes.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dylan Reguba

I believe there is such an animal as an African honey badger, so there's no need to substitute another species. Also, there are giant Amazon river otters...
"I am called Reguba, as was my father before me. When danger threatens and you have to face the foebeast, then you will know you are Reguba, bravest of the brave!"
Rusvul

Groddil

For Australia, the koala and the wallaby could be switched over. Also, we don't have opossums here, but you could subsitute something like a bilby easily enough. The snake could also be a taipan, considering they're one of our more poisonous ones.

The Skarzs

Western taipan or eastern taipan? :P The eastern are more venomous, so I've heard. (And they're like the first or second most venomous snakes in the world. . . No miraculous recoveries from bites there.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.