News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Why are vermin always worse fighters than goodbeasts?

Started by Damug Warfang, November 06, 2015, 11:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damug Warfang

It seems that Brian Jacques wrote the books so that vermin are always worse fighters than goodbeasts, except possibly their leaders.  In some books you see inexperienced country bumpkins beating experienced killers.  Wouldn't it be more realistic to have the vermin have the advantage sometimes?  LIke come on, the goodbeasts also have incredible luck.

example: when Doomeye shoots lord Brocktree.  Everybody admit he should have been killed then and there.
Look behind you...

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

A lot of it come down to the recipe Brian put together for his works: Clear lines of good and evil, and good always wins. If one understands what audience the works were intended for, it is acceptable.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Starla1431

I agree. I honestly don't like the "it's a kids book" excuse. I've seen plenty of kids books that had better villains and such. Brian could have done better with the villains.

Jewel Thief

I've actually been making plans to create  "rewrite" fics for the Series for this very reason, amongst others.
No way some young mouse'd who's never touched a blade in his life could lay out a rat who's entire life's been dedicated to survival.
That, and wouldn't it be all that much more exciting during, and sad and meaningful at the story's end, if there were more woodlander casualties?
If the vermin were actually, on occasion, competent and seasoned killers like they were usually described?
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those silver pistols?
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those arrowheads?

Damug Warfang

yeah, and for example, when Bane and Tsarminia ambushed the woodlanders, the y actually lost more vermin than the woodlanders?

What the heck?  Wasn't it an ambush?  The book itself says that they were caught totally unawares.
Look behind you...

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Ashleg

Quote from: Damug Warfang on November 12, 2015, 06:23:27 PM
yeah, and for example, when Bane and Tsarminia ambushed the woodlanders, the y actually lost more vermin than the woodlanders?

What the heck?  Wasn't it an ambush?  The book itself says that they were caught totally unawares.

Ugh, yess, that always bothered me. :T

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Hickory

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on November 12, 2015, 08:23:44 PM
And the vermin had armor and shields.
It was also stressed that the soldiers of Kotir was malnourished and, while good fighters and well equipped, awkward and slow in heavy armor.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jewel Thief

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on November 12, 2015, 11:35:13 PM
It was also stressed that the soldiers of Kotir was malnourished and, while good fighters and well equipped, awkward and slow in heavy armor.

There's always something to give the woodlanders an instant edge, innit...
Vermin backstabbing and squabbling and executing one another, starvation, desertion...

Jewel Thief

Quote from: Jewel Thief on November 13, 2015, 02:47:30 AM

There's always something to give the woodlanders an instant edge, innit...
Vermin backstabbing and squabbling and executing one another, starvation, desertion...

Vilu Daskar

But they were still protected by their armor and shields unlike the woodlanders who had nothing but trees which the soldiers also had.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Starla1431 on November 10, 2015, 04:25:12 AM
I agree. I honestly don't like the "it's a kids book" excuse. I've seen plenty of kids books that had better villains and such. Brian could have done better with the villains.

Plus, it could really give kids the wrong idea and that courage, determination, and desire to protect your home & loved ones will see you through than actually having strength or skill...

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on November 13, 2015, 05:19:20 PM
But they were still protected by their armor and shields unlike the woodlanders who had nothing but trees which the soldiers also had.

Mobility is more effective than heavy armour. Ever heard of Genghis Khan?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on November 14, 2015, 01:33:06 AM
Quote from: Vilu Daskar on November 13, 2015, 05:19:20 PM

Mobility is more effective than heavy armour. Ever heard of Genghis Khan?
But some of the Woodlanders should have been killed and yes.