News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Green Isle

Started by Vilu Daskar, November 16, 2015, 04:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

A couple days ago I was struck by the thought that Green Isle could be Ireland. I'm pretty sure Ireland is called the Emerald Island or something like that and Stonehenge was supposed to have been there before it was moved to England. Green Isle is called Green Isle, it has the Standing Stones, and it's located west of the mainland just like Ireland.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Jetthebinturong

That would make sense. For some reason I always associated otters with the Irish. And yes, Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle.

I hadn't heard that about Stonehenge, interesting. I'll have to look it up.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Captain Tammo

I always thought that the world of Mossflower and its surrounding area was loosely based off of Britain (or some other british region in that general island. It's hard to differentiate between the UK, Great Britain, England, etc. sometimes) and its surrounding area.

I figured the land of ice and snow would be either Iceland or Greenland, especially considering it's far over the Western sea (or Atlantic Ocean in this case).
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Captain Tammo on December 31, 2015, 05:16:52 AM
It's hard to differentiate between the UK, Great Britain, England, etc. sometimes) and its surrounding area.

The UK is the island of Great Britain + Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is the island which contains the countries of England, Scotland and Wales.

England is the bottom half of Great Britain, with the exception of that little sticky-outy bit which is Wales.

Handy map

[close]

And Jacques himself said that Mossflower was based on Britain.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

QuoteI hadn't heard that about Stonehenge, interesting. I'll have to look it up.

In "History of the Kings of Britain" the Giants are said to have built Stonehenge Ireland and then when the British invaded Ireland they took the Standing stones and arranged them in the formation it is today according to the word of Merlin.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.