News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Whats the rarest/coolest/most unusual book you own?

Started by Aimless Gallivanter, January 14, 2016, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aimless Gallivanter

Titles pretty self-explanatory! Tell us about a cool book you own!

Maybe one signed by the author? A special edition print you bought recently from B&N? Perhaps a very old book you've never read but wow isn't the binding neat? A peculiar book you found in a dark forgotten corner of a dusty used bookstore? 
im gay!!!!!!

Jetthebinturong

I have a proof copy of Odysseus in the Serpent Maze by Jane Yolen and Robert J. Harris. I should get the rest of that series.
I also have a signed copy of The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens.
And I have American editions of the first three Heroes of Olympus books. (The English covers are really bad for basically all Rick Riordan's books, but especially HoO.)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Gonff the Mousethief

I have an of Mossflower signed by Brian Jacques. Besides that, I don't really have anything except a very old collectors edition of Sherlock Holmes.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Vilu Daskar

I've got a Mossflower collectors edition and a cool looking Sherlock Holmes book with maps.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

BadgerLordFiredrake

baby turtle forever

Rusvul

I own an elaborate leather-bound copy of On the Origin of Species that I bought when I was 8. What I didn't realize was how verbosely it was written, I still can't read it properly due to all of the archaic and technical words in it. But hey, it looks like a spellbook, so... Worth? :P

Dotti Dillworthy

Old 1950's edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. A keepsake from my grandma.

Aimless Gallivanter

I have an old copy of that too, Dotti! I dont remeber how old it is though. I'll have to take a look later. My dad gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago.
im gay!!!!!!

Wylder Treejumper

I have an excellent copy of an old book called Johnny Reb and Billy Yank: How They Fought and Made Up. It was printed in 1959, and is my favorite history book I have ever read. Its narrative depiction of the Civil War is really the reason I became a history buff, reading that from an early age.

I also have a book on the politics of World War II, by Winston Churchill, printed in 1950, but it's super boring.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

I have a signed copy of Loamhedge and the 1959 revisions of the first eight Nancy Drew volumes.